Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's a good method for thin ribeyes?

Options
Got some rib-eye steaks right around 3/4 inch thick. 
I'm thinking 300 on one egg until internal 110 and then sear on cast iron in my other egg. 
 I don't want to over cook them.
What ya think?

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just an opinion here, but I usually just use a cast iron grate, hot and fast till med rare. 

Or like I did last night, forget momentarily, and frigging ruin two real nice ones. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Thin ribeyes are one of my wife's favorite meals for me to fix - but not on the egg. I pan fry them in butter and then serve on a piece of buttered toast which soaks up the goodness from frying! When I'm slicing my own sub-primals I always cut several 3/4" thick for this meal.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I also go hot and fast till 125ish
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @Jeremiah - been down that road more than twice. And I didn't even get to fast-talk a steak.  $hit happens as you well know.
    Have a great weekend-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you go to 110, the temp will rise (off the heat) to at least 125.  After searing, you will easily blow by 145, and they will be well done.    I'd do a CI Pan sear off the egg. If you use  the egg, start searing at 600-650 Under lava coals, for maybe one minute on each side. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Thanks all, you're the best!
     I'm going to skip the sear and geaux hot and fast to 125.
    Sitting around with our friends drinking at the moment. Steaks on soon.
    New Orleans

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    +1 on hot and fast.  I cooked a strip last night that was ~3/4" at 600, flipping frequently until 115 internal.  Let it rest on a rack with compound butter and it walked up to a perfect med rare.  Don't walk away from it.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    All great advice above. Here is a way that i really enjoy them when time allows. I like to run them indirect at 180 degrees for a while to add a touch of oak smoke. I take the steaks straight from the fridge to the smoker. The colder they are the longer the smoke time. Then simply finish them with a good sear. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Went hot and fast as most suggested. Here's a pic after the first flip. 
    Forgot to take finish shots.
    They were a big hit.
    New Orleans

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Burgers!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Burgers!
       Huh?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Burgers!
       Huh?
    Cazzy is drunk ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.