Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How hot has your egg gotten?

Options
2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I didn't take a temp reading but I have had mine hot enough to singe my fro. Want to see a pic?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@SGH

Where's the pic???..No Pic..it didn't happen

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Like the speedometer on my old Buick, I've buried the needle on the egg a couple times.  Didn't know how fast I was driving and don't know how hot I was egging.  Probably better that way!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Never taken the large above 800. Don't see the reason to and the 800 was an accident.

The Mini has only been up to 650 once.

I know the eggs can get hotter, I personally just don't see the reason to get them up that hot, but then again I don't do clean burns at nuclear temps. Waste of lump IMHO.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    When I finish cooking, I occasionally open everything up to clean the cast iron grate, set the timer on my phone for 15 minutes.

Doing that once in a while, I've got a pretty white firebox, but my dome is still black and my gasket is holding air.

I've seen the thermometer pegged when I do this, and every time this happens, I have to recalibrate - pegging my thermometer tends to make it drift towards a wrong (low) temp. Boiling water brings it to about 190f. 

I've never done this with the plate setter in - it's not under warranty and I don't care how dirty it looks. 
    YMMV, but if I've lapped my needle, I can't trust it anymore. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I think once early on I may have had it go higher, but recently, I took it to 500 for a "clean" burn with the platesetter in place.
    I know others on here will scoff at that temp for a "clean" burn but it did burn off the oils on the inside of the dome.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always run my clean burns at 500 now just let it go longer. Its nice not having to worry about sticking the egg shut.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    There must be a 1000 degree club!  I can see why so many have fried gaskets and cracked eggs.  I personally see no need to go that high even for a clean burn.  That's just my feelings on it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    North of 1000℉.
    Hot enough that all the ceramics including PS, firebox, firering and dome were white afterward. I let it rip right after I made like 6 pizzas @ 650℉-700℉.
    IMHO there's no reason to clean burn. Pizza cooking (baking) above 600℉-700℉ will do just fine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I cook pizza at 800-1000 degrees. One time I forgot my egg for an hour and it was wrapped to 250 when I got back out there. Somehow my gasket survived the experience
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Mine got really hot once, but then I stopped stroking it and it cooled down...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    XC242 said:

Flint, Michigan
  • XC242
    Options
    Inquiring minds want to know...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

the needle in my XL dome thermo was almost lapped late last year for a Christmas Eve Pizza Extravaganza.  by eyeballing it, it appeared to be at 1,000- 1,100 degrees- it was WAY past the max temp reading

On other note, I've had a hard time getting my L past 750.  Same fuel type but smaller amount.   and a smaller grate with fewer air holes too.  The XL grate has a lot more surface area and many avenues for oxygen to feed the fire.

Can't wait to see how hot I can get my unicorn, er I mean MiniMax!

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    1200 on xl. No effect on gasket
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I've had my large over 1000 easy. Usually on a clean, or if I distracted. 
    I will note that if I have old lump in the egg, higher temps are harder to get. 
    Also, gasket has stayed fine as long as it's not opened. 

Lastly I have the high heat charcoal grate: Plenty of air. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    XC242 said:

did the large become a mini?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Griffin said:

I know the eggs can get hotter, I personally just don't see the reason to get them up that hot, but then again I don't do clean burns at nuclear temps. Waste of lump IMHO.

Lump grows on trees.
    NOLA
  • XC242
    Options
    I thought lump is trees.
  • rtbarry
    Options
    BGE-L, intentionally approached 1000 for a pizza experiment. Pretty easily got there and could have kept going. Had to dial it back a bit. Used friend's IR thermo and took readings all around (grate, stone, inside dome, etc).

Cracked my beloved super thick Brazilian Soapstone pizza stone, which had been a trooper for over 5 years :-(
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I wrapped my thermometer around on two occasions and then went on to find it was no longer anywhere near correct. 
    I would suggest if you do end up doing a 1200 degree burn, take a second to re calibrate your thermometer. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    I found that it took what seemed like forever to get my XL up to 600 yesterday. Granted, I was only using about 1/2 the lump coal it would normally hold, all pushed to one side. But still, it was kind of a long time to wait to just throw a few steaks on. 
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • chrisc133
    Options
    I always wonder how these super old threads get revived 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Luck mostly...

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    Options
    Hot enough to fry my gasket and crack my XL base during the pizza throwdown a little while back.