Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What if it rains for my overnight cook

Options
I'm smoking my first Boston butt next weekend overnight and am concerned what to do if it rains during the night. What do you experienced folks recommend?

Comments

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Keep on egging. I live in the GWN and we see a lot of rain in the fall and winter. The egg does a great job in any kind of weather. I don't have any other type of rain cap, just the daisy wheel. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If it rains, you will need an umbrella. =) Your egg won't care. Here's Spring Chicken's place before he built the Coop. The one on the right is cookin' away...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Nothing.  Keep on egging.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you are sleeping out by the egg, you will get wet. Aside from that, nothing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Wear footwear when you check your egg so you don't get your socks and the wife's floor wet
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Are you using a pit controller?  If yes, then you'll need to do something to keep the unit and it power supply dry.  

If you're just going overnight, rain, sleet, or snow pose no concerns to the egg.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Go out to the local big box hardware store, and buy a anodized chimney cap. Put that over the Daisy. That way you will avoid a small puddle of rain water in the center of the meat. If you don't mind a tiny puddle in the center of the food, don't bother. Egg will cook during thunderbursts, blizzards and ice storm, no prob.
  • Texansurf
    Options

I call it an umbrella..... 
    011.jpeg 278.8K
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I also use an umbrella...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You're under dressed
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Start the egg, put the food on and and go inside.  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You'll get wet. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Egg on. If I lived where it rained (downpours) often, I'd invest in a Stainless Smokeware Cap. Also, as mentioned above, protect the electronics if your using them. @NPHuskerFL uses a cool setup to protect his electronics. PM him for advice, he's got the egging in the rain thing down. 

Don't let these guys fool you, Egging in the snow is much easier and pleasant than Egging in the rain. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • elbee63
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments and pics! Seems I was worried for nothing. Whew!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @elbee63   If you live in a location that gets tropical downpours, you might want to get some type of cover to keep water out of the top vent.  I have cooked in many a rainstorm without any issues. However, I did have one cook recently where the rain was so heavy that it put out the fire. I was using the daisy wheel and enough water got in to extinguish the lump. I ordered a Smokeware cap a couple of days later!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• elbee63
    Options
    I live in South Carolina and this time of year it usually rains frequently but not for too long.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    These work great, quick to set up and relatively inexpensive.

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    A tent, umbrella or rain cap will help, but just may have to open the daisy wheel a little more.  On one night cook I did it started raining in the morning and my temp dropped from 235 to 200.  I just went out and opened the vent a little more and egged on.  Then I bought a tent, but lost it a year later in a storm.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Don't let these guys fool you, Egging in the snow is much easier and pleasant than Egging in the rain. 
    Amen to that!! I love egging in the snow - so quiet and peaceful! Egging in the rain is just... WET! The only time I egg in the rain any more is when I miscalculated and got caught in it. That's what ovens are for!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Amen to that!! I love egging in the snow - so quiet and peaceful! Egging in the rain is just... WET! The only time I egg in the rain any more is when I miscalculated and got caught in it. That's what ovens are for!
    Got lucky down south today. High of 75 and low humidity. Gonna bust me out a deep dish here in a few. Beautiful day and even better evening. No oven required here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    +1 on the SMOKEWARE cap! 

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Just egg on. Tents and umbrellas blow away around here. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Just egg on. Tents and umbrellas blow away around here. 
  • svendangle
    Options
    Before reading this forum I was under the impression that cooking in the was a bad idea. I simply rigged a big canvas tent over mine.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I cut holes (on the sides) of a large metal folgers coffee can. It fits over the DFMT and keeps water out unless it's coming in sideways. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    A large vent stack cap from Lowes or Home Depot works great at fitting over the DFMT.  Measure your DFMT and get the one that will fit over.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• EggPerfection
    Options
    There is always the Kamado Chimney Cap at www.perfectBBQTEK.com.  Everything works normally in whatever.
    http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5b_zqL8pg
    Best - Jack
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Lowe's... $11
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN