Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Thermapen Announced

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
So I was thought something might be up with all the recent color closeouts on the splash proof Thermapen. And then the across the board sale on Thermapens got me really wondering.

Well, just got an email this morning about the new Thermapen Mk4:
http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

Who will be the first?
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Interesting.  I am leaning towards the Javelin Pro though.  Same performance for less money.  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I like that it's water proof. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I like that it takes AAA batteries. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's about time the backlight comes standard with the pen. I thought it was rediculous that they charged $10+ more for a 10 cent option. I see that the new Thermapen costs more now. The Javelin might be the new dog in town for $60 cheaper and same time readings. Time will tell for quality. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCalWJS
    Options
    I like all the new features. AAA is near the top for me - I hate dealing with watch batteries. The more waterproof feature is good (my first one died when I left it out overnight and it got "damp"). I just don't need a new one right now.
    But if they come out with a special limited edition of the new model with the glowing coals scheme (or similar), all bets are off.  =)
    South SLO County
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Its on my christmas list now.
    Jacksonville FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Of course I can't make a prediction that would actually make me $, but on stuff that will cost me $, I'm a freaking oracle.

July 30th

"Anybody else think there may be a new version of the pen coming out?

They've been discontinuing colors regularly now for a long time - not adding any new ones.  When was the last redesign (besides adding backlit)

I just got my British Racing Green a few months back when they went disco.  I'll bet they're coming out with something new that will cost me $."
    Phoenix 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Waiting for holiday sale.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Waiting for holiday sale.
    +1 Bingo
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Looks nice!  I would buy another thermapen if mine died.  I have to say the pop is very nice for the price though.  I used one last week and the readings are pretty quick.  I like having no buttons though, as on on the pen.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I love the auto-rotate.......no longer discriminatory to us southpaws.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Interesting.  I am leaning towards the Javelin Pro though.  Same performance for less money.  
    I just got a Thermowand Pro a week ago. It's pretty nice.

It's just as responsive as my Thermapens (mine are the old versions that use those funky little 12volt batteries so maybe they've slowed down in their "golden years").

Have no idea if it will have the longevity of my Thermapens but really no reason at the moment to doubt it.

Glad to see the new MK4 using AAA's rather than the old 12 volt or watch batteries in their previous models.

Don't care about the auto-rotate even though I'm left handed. Been using my right hand to hold thermometers for so long I think it would feel really awkward using my left hand now anyway.

Also pretty sure the auto-rotate would annoy me greatly when it flips from the big digits in one orientation to the small digits in another orientation. I'm an older guy that wouldn't want to have to put on my reading glasses just to keep up with the change in size.

Surprised they didn't come up with a more ambidextrous physical form factor since they are trumpeting that it is also good for lefties.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FunkytownEgger
    Options
    nth78 said:
    I saw on Lavatools website they have 20% off the Javelin Pro if you use promo code FAST.  That makes it $46.40

Anyone had any issues with the Javelin Pro?
  • fljoemon
    Options
    I have the Javelin Pro and it works as good as the Thermopen ... no issues yet.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    sure the numbers flip but the ergonomics are still built for a righty, still some nice upgrades though
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If I'm cooking on Ozark Oak I don't need one... It tells me when I hit my temp.  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    As badly as I want to buy it, the wife would blow a gasket if it showed up here.   She just let me but the Maverick et 735 which is awesome (imho).  Maybe I can just start selling my plasma so she won't know. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Don't need but I want....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dwayne, I saw this new design on a Twitter Feed. Pretty cool. I already have 1 TP for work and 1 for home...but, I'm a sucker for new stuff. LoL
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Anyone want to buy a very slightly used backlit Thermapen, or a slightly more used splash proof Thermapen? I really want one of the MK4's, but considering I have 2 splash proof and 1 backlit, no way I can justify it without selling at least one, probably 2.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    Guess I will stick with my Pop for now....
    LBGE
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    You mean this one? ;-)

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    And there it is the first one posted. Congrats. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.