Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Relocating to Colorado

Options
Just got the news today. My family and I will be moving to Colorado. I need some insight from any fellow eggers in, or familiar to the areas within 2 hours of Denver International.
Any insight shared would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Congrats!  I hear the air is quite intoxicating there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,208
    Options
    Awesome!  I love Colorado.  Would move there in a heart beat.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Wife's family and mine are throughout CO. If your working in or around metro Denver I like the Arvada area. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I bet you would.... :lol: 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I spent a week in Golden two years ago.  Nice place.  Ruff's BBQ Shoppe, Edmund's Meats, and several farmers markets......I was good to go.  I know a really good Realtor in Denver if you need one.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    My old girlfriend is one of the state's attorney in CO.  I can get some info from her if you'd like!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Colorado Springs (and surrounding area) is one of my very favorite places in the country, especially from May to October. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I would go in a minute if I could convince the family. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I spent a week in Golden two years ago.  Nice place.  Ruff's BBQ Shoppe, Edmund's Meats, and several farmers markets......I was good to go.  I know a really good Realtor in Denver if you need one.
    Very cool, If you do. Fortunately we live in one of the most sought after zip codes in the USA right now.
    It is crazy for real estate out there right now.
    Thank you!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Wife's family and mine are throughout CO. If your working in or around metro Denver I like the Arvada area. 
    Thank you I will check it out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

My old girlfriend is one of the state's attorney in CO.  I can get some info from her if you'd like!
    I would appreciate all the information I can get regarding areas to live, I won't be leaving until after the first of the year.
    Thank you!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Colorado Springs (and surrounding area) is one of my very favorite places in the country, especially from May to October. 
    I love the area too, but I was thinking around Leadville or to the South?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I know 3 different couples who moved to Denver, none of them know each other. All 3 couples ended up in Arvada (pronounced Arvduh). Really nice area.
    Right now a bunch of people from Silicone Valley are relocating to Seattle, Denver, and Austin so housing prices in all 3 are going through the roof.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think it is one of the most beautiful places that I have been.  Estes Park just a little over an hour from Denver is fantastic, as is Ouray and Mesa Verde National Park near Cortez.  I would go back in a minute my wife not so much she suffered from altitude sickness after the third or forth day.

Gerhard
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Alright, I'll try to get in touch with her.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• dubah
    dubah Posts: 60
    Options
    My wife and I moved here in 1992. We've lived in several different communities, most recently in east Boulder. Great scenery, motorcycling, restaurants, activities... 
  • 3rd generation colorado native here and would not want to live anywhere else.  Kind of depends on what type of living you are looking for.  I live in a southern suburb of Denver and love it.  From what I've seen, the northern suburbs like Arvada are similar. If you want to live in the city you may have a hard time finding affordable houses but you will be much closer to the entertainment downtown denver has to offer.  The suburbs can be much more cost effective but a longer commute into the city.  If you are looking for a more rural area, parker is awesome and only about 45 min from the city center. As far as other areas of Colorado I can't really speak to but you can't go wrong.
    Parker, Colorado
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Longmont... Gig internet for 49.95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,237
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Fortunately we live in one of the most sought after zip codes in the USA right now.

I thought you lived in Kentucky  =)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hi Ron -  Hope you and the new missus are happy about the move.

Nothing like some case iron brownies to celebrate, or help take the edge off...

Phoenix 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    A good part of my family lives in & around Denver (Centennial & Aurora).  I've spent a lot of time in the mountains as well.  You'll love it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fruitguy
    Options
    Woodland Park is nice. Also safe as many of the Colorado Springs officers live up that way to get out the city when they are not working 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Fortunately we live in one of the most sought after zip codes in the USA right now.

I thought you lived in Kentucky 

LOL, What can I say? Cheap, fun and beautiful here. My wife told me it was the most sought zip code, I have no idea. 
    Your trip looks awesome!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Not a bad place to be relocated to. Enjoy the ride my friend.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Littleton was a great place in the 89s. I hear it is pricey now but I loved growing up there

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Are you going to have a chance to visit the area?  This and not committing to a long term lease, or the purchase of a house, right out of the gate would be my thoughts/recommendations.  I understand that sometimes circumstances tend to dictate what we do, or just the desire to get established quickly, or not having to move the dirt pile twice, so to speak, can all enter in to these decisions. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    And leave @Jeepster47behind? For shame. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    We'd haul ass there now if it were feasible. Love the Mile High City. Family, Beautiful mountains, foothills, 4 true seasons (winter being predominate), hunting, fishing etc. We truly miss it at times.....minus Winter :lol: 
    Guess I've actually become climatized to Florida after 23 years :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Boulder & Golden are college towns.
    Check out Castle Rock south of metro Denver. A bit of a upscale area.
    I have a friend in Wheat Ridge who likes the area.
    I grew up in Durango. Still have ties to SW CO
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Durangler I hear Colfax Ave has went upscale :wink: We had family that lived there for 60+ yrs and saw many changes. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014