Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the 1000th First brisket -- need help thread

Options
So I'm trying my first brisket on Labor Day in my BGE. I don't think I have ever cooked anything longer than 7, maybe 8 hours. 
My first question is how in the heck do you guys get your BGE to cook for 10-12+ hours to do a brisket? Can you put enough lump wood in there and cook at 250-275 and have it last for 12+ hours, or do you have to restock more lump wood along the way?
I see many cook indirect for 4-6 hours and then used butchers paper to get thru the stall? Can that help save time?
 So I hope I didn't  create an impossible task as I have family showing up. Any advice is appreciated. I will probably buy it from Sams btw. Thanks 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What size egg do you have?
    No need to restock. A large holds maybe 40 hours worth at 250. 

As for the brisket...  Pick a method/recipe and stick with it. Don't over think it. First one wil be great, And once you have it under your belt you'll be comfortable trying other tweaks. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I would clean out your egg and load it to the top of the fire ring (not the fire box, above that).  Mix in some oak. (A large will take about 10 pounds)  Light and let it start slowly with the indirect rig, let it go about an hour and you should have some good smoke.

I would get a big packer brisket, they seem to do better vs small.  Trim to about a quarter inch of fat, or say f-it and don't.

Season with whatever you want.  Salt and pepper about 50/50 volume/volume work fine.  Throw it on with the point in the back of the egg or sideways.  Fat down to protect from heat weaseling around the sides of the heat shield.

Cook it between 250 and 300F.  Around 190 internal, start stabbing it with a kabob skewer in the flat.  All over the flat.  When the last holdout on tenderness becomes tender - no resistance to the stabbing, it's done.  Take it off and let it cool for half an hour or so. 

Take some time to learn how to cut it - plenty of videos.  You want to cut and serve, worst thing you can do is pull it off and cut the whole thing up when the meat is still 200F.  All that steam is drying out what little moisture is in the meat.  Ideally you'll carve it when it's around 130-140F.

If you want to keep it warm, throw it in a cooler.  Enjoy and good luck.

I thought the cooler was to prolong the heat and then you would cut when still hot? So.....if i don't  cooler it then when temps are 130-140 i should cut it up.?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @clifkincaid - Yes to both questions.  If you're eating in, say 4 hours, put it in the cooler and check the temp after 3 hours.  If it's still super hot, pull it out and let it cool some.   I always let it cool down for 30 minutes or so even if I do put in a cooler.  You pulled it when it was done.  No need to let it keep cooking, it only hurts.  Let that hot outside cool down a bit.   Then in the cooler.
    Thanks @nolaegghead ...I'm doing my first B this weekend. 14lb choice on MBGE. Just reading a lot. Not starting another thread.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Larrymac @clifkincaidone other tip is to keep a fire brick on hand in case your brisket is a little too big for your grill.  You can then wrap the fire brick in foil to create an inchworm effect to arch the brisket.  This way the dome will not come in contact with the brisket.  You can then remove the fire brick if you like after your brisket cooks down some.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Larrymac
    Larrymac Posts: 103
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all -- especially Nola. I have a large BGE but have never loaded above the fire ring.
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    I highly recommend you use a remote temperature monitor for your first long cook (especially for an overnight).  Even when I think I built a good fire, air flow is a challenge, and the temperature can gradually creep down to the danger zone. Good luck!
  • Larrymac
    Options
    EggDan said:
    I highly recommend you use a remote temperature monitor for your first long cook (especially for an overnight).  Even when I think I built a good fire, air flow is a challenge, and the temperature can gradually creep down to the danger zone. Good luck!
    I am using the Maverick 732
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    What time are you planning to eat? How big of a brisket are you cooking? 
    Nola's advice is spot on.  I recommend figuring out a size/time/temp combo that will get your brisket done 4 hours before when you want to eat.  if you have lots of time and patience you can run it at 240.  if not you can run it up to 275-285. 

I love a brisket thread since I'm still learning myself.  The payoff is so delicious it makes the work worthwhile.  Looking forward to your results, happy Labor Day!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    @Larrymac @clifkincaidone other tip is to keep a fire brick on hand in case your brisket is a little too big for your grill.  You can then wrap the fire brick in foil to create an inchworm effect to arch the brisket.  This way the dome will not come in contact with the brisket.  You can then remove the fire brick if you like after your brisket cooks down some.
    Are these the fire bricks you are referring to? Any suggestions on where to get them besides HD or is that a fair price?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    Are these the fire bricks you are referring to? Any suggestions on where to get them besides HD or is that a fair price?
    Do you have a v-rack that may have come with a roasting pan purchase?  You can use that instead, turn it upside down and drape the brisket over it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Acn said:
    mahenryak said:
    Do you have a v-rack that may have come with a roasting pan purchase?  You can use that instead, turn it upside down and drape the brisket over it.
    This works well.  Really anything you can find that is oven safe that will take up vertical space will work.  An inverted loaf pan would work.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Good idea. Didn't really need an additional item to store. Thanks!  
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @HofstraJet it sounds like you are going a different direction now, which is perfectly fine, but yes those fire bricks would work.  I guess the main point is to just be aware that this is a common phenomenon with a full packer on the lg and a little forethought can't hurt.  With risk of straying OT, the fire bricks can also be put to other good uses on the egg--such as a raised grill effect, if you don't want to shell out the money for something like the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store.  (Full disclosure, I do have the AR R&B from CGS and use it quite often).

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/firebricks.htm

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @clifkincaid - Yes to both questions.  If you're eating in, say 4 hours, put it in the cooler and check the temp after 3 hours.  If it's still super hot, pull it out and let it cool some.   I always let it cool down for 30 minutes or so even if I do put in a cooler.  You pulled it when it was done.  No need to let it keep cooking, it only hurts.  Let that hot outside cool down a bit.   Then in the cooler.
    @nolaegghead - Maybe this is why mine are hit and miss in the cooler. I just wrap and drop it right in pipping hot. Going to let it cool a bit tomorrow before I cooler it.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I have only done one but it was perfect, so maybe just beginner's luck, but I think it is really key not to overthink it. A full load of lump will be fine, it is very helpful to have a remote thermometer to track developments without opening.  Get a full packer, and tuck some foil underneath the ends that overlap the platesetter holes.  What I did was wait out the stall (mine stalled around 170 I think) and then wrapped in foil with Rick's Sinful Marinade (or something close to it, you can google for the recipe) until it hit about 200 and was very soft.  Best to do it with several hours to spare so you can FTC and not have people hungry, and you don't know how long the stall will take.  Have fun and post it!
    Toronto ON