Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Wanting to buy a vacuum sealer - looking for advice

Options
I'm interested in buying a vacuum sealer (food saver). It's just me and my wife at home. I'd like to cook brisket, pork butt, etc and portion out the leftovers for evening meals during the week. We would probably freeze them so we can mix 'em up and not eat the same thing every night. A quick look on Amazon showed many models ranging from around $80 to over $200. Does anyone here have advice about which model you prefer? Are there any "must have" accessories? 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    It's more than you want to spend but research the chamber style vac sealers
    benefits in sealing liquids and cheap bags comparatively.   Vac master vp112 v vp112s 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    Options
    Bump to get a Texan some opinions...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I got mine at Costco in June for $60.  FM2100 model.  It works great and there's always Costco's return policy if anything goes on the fritz.  I buy the no name rolls of bag material off amazon.  About the same time I joined RD is when I picked this thing up, and no doubt the unit has easily paid for itself already.

I'd love a chamber sealer, but until then, I didn't see the benefit of stepping up to a higher $ model of foodsaver.
    Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    Lol - thanks. You never know what folks are willing to talk about. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Food Saver is a good entry point. It's worked well for me storing homemade bacon and steaks.  There are higher end units. Been happy with my food saver.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @blasting Thanks. I wasn't sure if this was one of those purchases that after using it a while you realize you would have preferred model x vs model y. That always concerned me when there are several models to choose from. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean.   Costco had two models - one for $60 and one for about $160.  I can't really remember the differences, but I remember thinking that I wasn't sold on the additional value.

Westin makes one that's in between a food saver and a chamber sealer.  It's gotten really good reviews on Amazon and goes for about $380.
    Phoenix 
  • myc5
    myc5 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a Foodsaver 8000 series. It's upright stainless steel looking. It looks nice on the counter and doesn't take up much room, but I don't think I can do more than 5 or 6 seals in succession before the unit shuts off. It's good for occasional use, but not for heavy duty use. If I had to do it again, this would not be my choice.

Look at the Weston's. I haven't used one myself, but I hear good things about them.

On accessories, make sure it has a cutter for using rolls. 

The pull out tube with tuperware type container is good for marinating and storing left overs in the fridge - your cooked left over meals stay fresh longer in the fridge. They have wine bottle stoppers too that aren't too expensive but I haven't been able to find them. There's also a relatively cheap food saver jar attachment that can be used on Mason jars to suck out the air of a mason jar for storing dry food.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @DMW I didn't want to get your ham thread off-topic; that's what prompted this thread. Would you mind elaborating some on why they all suck? I have zero experience with vacuum bagging. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    swordsmn said:
    Lol - thanks. You never know what folks are willing to talk about. 
    That's funny - on this forum?  I haven't seen any limits yet.
  • swordsmn
    edited August 2015
    Options
    But. If you start thinking mid 300's on a meat sucker, DEFINITELY wait/save and go for a Chamber style like  VacMaster.   I just decided to spend the kids inheritance and went all the way with a VP215.  That was even more dough than the 112/112s I recommended earlier.  Whoever said get a basic unit First I think is on point for your designated budget for now... Yes, Their bag costs are more $$ but it'll get u in the game.  Just read the cautions about liquids and powdery things.  Food savers suck INTO the machine (bag is external) and you don't want meat juice etc migrating into your seal.   Whatever u decide enjoy the world of extended freezer life and lack of freezer burn.

http://www.modernistcookingathome.com/vacuum-sealers/
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @DMW I didn't want to get your ham thread off-topic; that's what prompted this thread. Would you mind elaborating some on why they all suck? I have zero experience with vacuum bagging. 
    The comment was tongue in cheek, vacuum sealers suck the air out of the pack. I got mine on sale at Costco, have no opinions on one vs the other. However, from what I have read, if my Foodsaver ever dies, I'll spring for a chamber sealer. Which one? I have no idea.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Thanks @swordsmn This gives me some information to start with. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    DMW said:
    SciAggie said:
    The comment was tongue in cheek, vacuum sealers suck the air out of the pack. I got mine on sale at Costco, have no opinions on one vs the other. However, from what I have read, if my Foodsaver ever dies, I'll spring for a chamber sealer. Which one? I have no idea.
    I need to go to bed - I completely missed the joke. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • swordsmn
    Options
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    Have your exact situation.   Foodsaver from Wally World has been flawless for our needs for going on 2 years. Anybody on the fence it's well worth it. I use it most for taking advantage of bulk meat prices then repacking into portions we use. 
    I'm sure one can spend more but ours meets our needs. 
  • blasting
    Options
    DMW said:
    SciAggie said:
    It's just not as funny if you have to explain it.   lol

Phoenix 
  • kirkiver
    kirkiver Posts: 23
    Options
    Chamber vacuum sealers are great but you have to use them a lot to justify that investment.  Try craigs list for a food saver, I have two that I only paid $20 for,  and got bags with them too.  Inexpensive way to get started and see if it works for you... you can always upgrade later. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We've had two models of foodsaver, one gave up the ghost after 12+ years and we just replaced it with another from Costco.  They work fine, not the best with liquids, but perfect for almost everything I want to seal.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have had Foodsavers since they first came out .Present model I have is V4880. I use it at least once a day .It has a small footprint on counter and when sealing does not waste a lot of bag at the end of bag and seal. That was a problem when they came out with auto machines and with V4800 series they corrected that . Being auto it can be a bit of a pain sometimes to get it to go into seal mode but I still really like it . You have to consider how you are going to use it,if you plan on packaging large amounts of meat at one time it could be a problem with the repetitive seal issue .It will shut down at some point to cool down and you have to wait for it to start again .Also if you want a chamber sealer you are limited by the size of the chamber as to how big a piece of meat you can seal .Chamber sealers are also LARGE and HEAVY .Search on chamber sealers and look at the specs ,you will be surprised at size and weight .You tube has some good videos .  Food saver has a nice marina tor   that you can get that works pretty well ,one drawback is that it is not real big but I always work something out .Just remember when you look at chamber sealers look at the dimensions of the chamber if you are going to buy .

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    myc5 said:
    ... They have wine bottle stoppers too that aren't too expensive but I haven't been able to find them. ...
    @myc5 ... Check out the Foodsaver website.  They sell all of their product at a reasonable price ... sometimes cheaper than in Costco.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've had a vertical FoodSaver brand for years. It's black, don't know the model number. Only thing I use is the full width rolls. The smaller ones are mostly useless. It has a spot to connect a hose for vacuum containers, but I've never used one. Only part I don't like is that you have to put the end of the bag in just right for it to vacuum and seal the bag. I wish there was an override button to make it do it because sometimes at the end of the roll, the bag ends don't want to sit straight to hit the lever that activates the sealer.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DMW said:
    SciAggie said:
    Oh snap!

We have had a bunch of different foodsaver units and we like the simplest design.  The vertical ones don't suck (meaning they suck).  Get my drift?  Any of them that force a vacuum to make a seal, avoid.  The vertical units are terrible.  Gamesaver is awesome.  Simple units are great.  I think I gave henapple one of our old units or new, old stock. We keep a spare on these, still have one on reserve.  That's how important they are.
    Options
    I've had the foodsaver V3680 for about 5 years and would have the same comments already listed.  Love the pull out vac tube for the ziplock style bags and mason jars.  The first one took a crap after about a year and no prob on a replacement.  They actually ended up sending me two new ones by mistake and then said just keep both, SCORE.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    blasting said:

Westin makes one that's in between a food saver and a chamber sealer.  It's gotten really good reviews on Amazon and goes for about $380.
    I bought a Westin Pro 3000 a year and a half or so ago. 

While I was still researching and looking around I found a place that had the 3000 on sale for the same $380 price as the Pro 2300 so I went ahead and got the 3000.

Very happy with the Westin. It's built like a tank and it has a duty cycle that can easily handle long sessions of bag sealing.

It can't vac/seal bags of liquid soup/broth but it will easily handle items that are quite juicy without any problems. The vacuum chamber is constructed such that the "intake nozzles" are elevated in a trough so if a few tablespoons of juice are sucked out of a bag it won't affect the machine. The trough can be easily wiped clean after the bag has sealed.

When I make batches of rub or herb blends I always seal a bunch in bags that go into the freezer. It does not have any problem dealing with dusty stuff like that.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I have a FoodSaver V2244 that I picked up on clearance from Cabela's a few years back.  I don't have one of the more expensive vac sealers to compare it to but for a home user who didn't have a vac sealer before this thing is really good.  I use it all the time for sealing cooked BBQ, raw steaks, hatch chilies, home made chicken stock, etc.  Two things to mention:

1.  You have to use the FoodSaver brand of bags.  The others don't work well.  They've got this special pattern on the inside that allow it to vacuum out the air better.  I can get them at Costco in bulk so it's not a huge deal to me.

2.  It doesn't freeze liquids very well.  If it's something really thick like spaghetti sauce it'll do it but something like chicken stock or gumbo I have to freeze it overnight in a Tupperware container first.  I run a little hot water on the outside to release it from the Tupperware and then bag it/vacuum seal it.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @jimithing     I freeze many things before sealing.  Liquid items, fruit, fish and most soft items should be frozen first and then vacuum sealed.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @jimithing     I freeze many things before sealing.  Liquid items, fruit, fish and most soft items should be frozen first and then vacuum sealed.  
    Me too! Here's my little trick...I cut the bottom off a plastic glass which lets me pour a pint of soup in the bag in which I will seal first with a clamp, then freeze and then seal the next day. When freezing I lay and stack them flat so storage in the freezer will take up less space. Works for me and  this "glass" is probably 12 years old! =)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MelSharples
    Options
    I bought a Save a Meal (or something like that) on clearance at Kroger for $20 2 years ago, it is more than serviceable on solid foods, can't seal liquids for anything unless you freeze it first. If you're just looking to vac seal bulk foods from Costco and leftovers then I would recommend staying below the $100 threshold. If you're looking to vac seal marinades or the like you may want to get something more robust. Another thing to think about is the materials you will need, some require more specialized bags and accessories while others can use the generic bags that are more readily available.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta