Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs - First Try

Options
Giving beef short ribs a try.

235, salt, pepper, garlic .... slight modification from my brisket rub.  Interested to see how they turn out.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• MRbge
    MRbge Posts: 40
    Options
    Look great.  
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Looks good, I'm also cooking short ribs for the first time, uncut though.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    edited August 2015
    Options
    They are cooking fast?  I just checked them and have a lot of pullback and are tender.

They have only been on for 3.5 hrs.  @SGH ; @nolaegghead , any other beef rib masters do I let them ride longer or pull when tender?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @blukat uncut is what I wanted, but none available.  Yours look awesome.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - as with most BGE cooks, it's all about the feel.  If you have the probe "like buttah" feel then time to declare victory.  I have an uncut rack of short ribs on now and am about to see where I am.  As with any cow cut, you only manage the process :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac this is my first attemp, seems to be cooking fast, dome at 250 though.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks for the info.  I will pull of a "cooks" piece and try it.  Will go from there.  It is probing like butter.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They look awesome!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nail'd it!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow!  There's the beef!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     do I let them ride longer or pull when tender?
    Ozzie, sorry but I just saw this. I'm working the 3rd shift and am only on the forum here and there. But to answer the question at hand, when they probe tender they are done my friend. The ribs look great brother. Enjoy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Good looking cow ribs right there!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH- Dang, I guessed right when I replied.  :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @SGH and @lousubcap thanks guys!  Appreciate the help.

Funny when time doesn't matter cooks go fast.  If people are waiting then its like watching a pot boil. :)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH- Dang, I guessed right when I replied.  :peace: 
    I have a feeling that it wasn't a lucky guess my friend. You always give sound advice. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well these will be regular rotation.  They remind me of the brisket flat to point transition.  Even Mrs. Isaac gave the approval.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wow! Flippin awesome. Those ribs you got look great. Huge meat on them. Nice job front to back. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - you now realize that any beef rib beats their pork cousins every time.  I even manage to get the uncut short ribs at a main-line grocer, Kroger.  Game on and congrats on the cook.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    Oh yeah, those look great.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Ah, winning! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    But NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Those look great. I'll have to make these soon. About how long do they take to cook? I saw a mention of 3.5 hours, but I'm assuming 5-6 to finish - that a good ballpark guess?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Those look great. I'll have to make these soon. About how long do they take to cook? I saw a mention of 3.5 hours, but I'm assuming 5-6 to finish - that a good ballpark guess?
    These were done fast.  Smaller two ribs were done in 3.75 hours, larger four were done in 4.5hrs.  I could have gone 5.5hrs on the thickest rib.

When doing the cut ribs careful placement in the dome seems important.  I cooked at 235+.

This was straight with no wrapping.  Really pleased with the outcome and ease of the cook.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

But NO FORKS! 
    Fork shot was just for you ;)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Bravo... Looks like you nailed them! Enjoy!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I wonder if the fact they were parted out made them cook faster? Makes sense. Nice cook @Ozzie_Isaac
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I wonder if the fact they were parted out made them cook faster? Makes sense. Nice cook @Ozzie_Isaac
    I bet that is what did it.  I liked all the extra surface for bark too.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I never had a beef rib before a couple of years ago at an Adam Perry Lang cooking event. Honestly, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! It is the best piece of beef I've ever had.

Judy in San Diego