Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*THAT* question again

Options
2»

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have a family of 5, 3 children under age 7, and I have a medium and XL, XL gets used alot more.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I started out with an XL and added the Small next. If I could only have one cooker, it would be an XL BGE. Better to have the room and not need it rather than need the room and not have it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Just did an 11lb packer and a 7 lb butt Saturday.  I have a bought raised grid.  I don't have a photo of that though, but do have the below.  

Packer 13lbs, 5-6 split breast, and a rack of spares.  

You the man ! That's awesome.

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I was totally satisfied with my Large until I read this forum then I had to add a small and eventually a mini.  The point is after you get one you will quickly decide that is not enough. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was totally satisfied with my Large until I read this forum then I had to add a small and eventually a mini.  The point is after you get one you will quickly decide that is not enough. 
    That is very true.  People I meet look at me cross-eyed when they find out I have two eggs.

This place is hard on the wallet.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac best thing to happen to me is when I picked my second up at the egg test and the first three people we met had 5+ a piece. My wife settled way down after that.  B)
  • Jickey
    Jickey Posts: 13
    Options
    Decided on a large with the ceramic grill store adjustable rig to give me the most flexibility. I'll likely supplement it with a small later on :)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My beautiful wife and I host many large gatherings, due to her large family and our large group of friends. We had a couple of large webers going all the time. We moved to the XL, added a modified grill grate, and we are able to handle just about anything we need.
    I can prepare meals for my family of 4, or when my daughter's starving BF joins us for a meal, we make enough for 6-8 normal humans.
    We have not regretted getting the XL, not once, not ever. 
    I also bought a MM, originally for camping and tailgating. We have found out since, it has come in handy, on the rare occasion it is just MBW and I.
    I have two. I will likely add a third. 
    Trust me, the cost of getting in to the BGE lifestyle is far less than staying in the BGE lifestyle. You have been warned. Welcome to the machine, and most of all, have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky