Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrow's cook: Tri Tip (first SV) and wings

Options

I have been intrigued by some of the discussion about sous vide so I picked up an Anova.  Going to break it in tomorrow with a 2.5 pound grass-fed antibiotic free tri trip.  Plan is to SV for five hours at 130 degrees, seasoned simply with a beef rub only, while I am making my new favourite wings (400 raised indirect for about an hour with Raging River, glazed at the end with tamarind chutney).  Then I will pull the wings and keep them warm in the oven while I jack the Egg to 650 direct, sear of the meat for a minute or so a side, and serve everything at once with sides being oven-roasted/charred cauliflower with lemon and garlic and olive oil and parmesan, and fresh corn on the cob.

Toronto ON

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Can't wait to see the pics. Do you mean grass-finished? 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    edited August 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Can't wait to see the pics. Do you mean grass-finished? 

Nope, grass fed.  Will be interesting to see how it is...I got a grass-fed brisket from this place and it was nothing short of perfect.  This is the place: http://rowefarms.ca/grass-fed-beef.php
    Toronto ON
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I would go longer on the SV cook to more fully tenderize if your time frame allows. I'd go 12-18 hours. Just my 2 cents.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Simcan
    Options
    Thanks @raymont.  As I say, I am a complete novice when it comes to SV so I appreciate the input.  Actually, a longer SV would be very helpful to me, scheduling-wise, but I was going by the Anova website.  Are you confident that it would not turn to mush?  The ideal period for me would be 10 hours, but I can easily get any period done with some planning.
    Toronto ON
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Tri tip and sous vide are a match made in heaven. You really need to experiment with it but the beef is quite forgiving.  I often do 128F for 24-30 hours then directly into an ice bath for an hour before refrigerating.  When I sear, I have brought the temp up as low as 90F internal before service as you are basically re-heating the meat and it was swear worthy!  Sometimes I will SV 2-3 at a time and then freeze them.  Pulling out a day or 2 before I want to serve.  Then all I need to do is smoke/hard sear.  Its an amazing cut of meat for a long, raised direct reverse sear too-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Simcan
    Options

Thanks, @allsid.  Looks like I will be experimenting...I have seen everything from 2 hours to 30 hours now!  I think I will likely SV for 10-12 hours, let it rest a bit and then do a hard sear for colour/flavour.  Looking forward to it!

Toronto ON
  • Simcan
    Options
    Sorry, did not get pics last night but let me tell you, it was amazing.  I ended up doing the trip-tip at 130 for 10 hours then searing at 650 for a minute or so on each side, and it was perfectly, perfectly medium rare.  I am definitely a convert to sous vide in terms of control over doneness, though I think I prefer the smoky taste you get from a reverse sear.  No sure there is a perfect compromise.
    Toronto ON
  • Raymont
    Options
    So glad to hear it worked out well for you. It takes some faith to SV for extended periods but for tougher cuts it makes them taste so good! By the way, you could smoke for a while prior and even after putting into the SV, but you will definitely lose a lot of the smoke flavor in the SV. I've turned out some really good tender brisket flats this way, but I agree they don't have quite the same flavor.. but they are also not dried out and the results are consistent. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Simcan
    Options

@Raymont something else that occurred in terms of flavor would be to marinade the meat with some liquid smoke while cooking.  Though  I feel like this would tricky to control.

Toronto ON
  • Vicki
    Vicki Posts: 2
    Options
    Raymont said:
    I would go longer on the SV cook to more fully tenderize if your time frame allows. I'd go 12-18 hours. Just my 2 cents.
    New at this....  what is SV cook?

• Vicki
    Vicki Posts: 2
    edited August 2015
    Options
    New at all this.... What does SV cook mean?  Never mind I looked it up!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Vicki said:
    Raymont said:
    New at this....  what is SV cook?

@Vicki - Hot tub with very precise control - google sous vide or in this case ANOVA. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Interesting on the times with free range cuts. I've found that as little as 4 hours at 135ºF works very well, have gone as long as 8 hours, but the texture seems off to me. Keep the salt out of or very low in the bath to retain moisture.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Sounds Great . . . but no pics?  WTF MATE ?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Simcan
    Options
    @Skiddymarker lots of factors, I am sure, including that this was free-range grass-fed, but for this cook, at 10 hours at 130 the texture and doneness were un-improvable for tenderness (not at all mushy) medium rare tri tip.
    Toronto ON
  • Raymont
    Options
    @simcan: I've never tried adding liquid smoke to SV. Are your above comments on "smoke flavor" possibly  referencing the grill taste or char you get when egging (which we love).. When you SV, you don't get that same outer edge "crunch" as a full cook on egg provides, but this is also because it is not as well done around edges and you retain more moisture (water which dilutes flavor) . Certainly SV does provide a different/non-traditional texture. For the brisket flats, I've done flats where I go low and slow (mild to moderate hickory/oak) to around IT 160, then SV for 18 hours. The bark does soften as it cooks SV. Next time I'm going to try finishing on egg to re-introduce more "crispy bark" results. Hey.. I just love trying to be a better cook and to produce consistent results. Using tools like the egg and SV I certainly have fun! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Simcan
    Options
    @Raymont.  No, I actually found the crust/char identical to a reverse sear.  When I do a reverse sear I do it at about 250 indirect anyway so all the caramelization happens in the sear, just like with the SV.  But even though I don't add chunks or chips in the first part of a reverse sear, I find the lump adds that wonderful charcoal flavor that distinguishes the steak from what you get using a gasser, and with SV that is what I am missing.
    Toronto ON
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Raymont - i've tossed a little liquid smoke in but found it did not seem to make much of a difference. The best results I've found are to do the sear over very hot coals, flip often and baste with compound or clarified butter. The baste goes on the side that just came away from direct heat - builds the crust with some added lump smoke flavour.

@Simcan - is that a Saint in your avatar? We have an 8 year old female.  
  • Simcan
    Options
    @Raymont No, that is my old English bulldog, Chunk-Style.  He has since died.  He was huge though.  100 pounds.  We have a new one closing in on a year.
    Toronto ON