Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I must be nuts- the vintage kamado resto

Options
Big thanks to @HarrisFrampton for getting me in touch with his aunt in Columbia. She kept saying, "you know your nuts, right?" Yes ma'am. Anyhow, she said her husband flew c140s for the Air Force and brought this home from Japan in 1967. How cool is that? 

I have my work cut out for me as this is in bad shape. It appears to be a medium size based on the grid measurements. So I know I can get a medium firebox, fire ring, platesetter, and grid. The hinge is salvageable. The top is decent. The base is the issue. It seems to be disintegrating. I've found some patch stuff of eBay but....  

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Refractory-Cement-Clay-for-Big-Green-Egg-Kamado-stove-repair-/170692435502

I really want to restore this and at least use it occasionally for low and slows. It's just too cool to let die. ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone have any idea of the make? My best Google guess is Imperial Kamado. But I'm just guessing. 
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,072
    Options
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Good luck. That will be cool though if you get it done.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Wow. Very cool. I'm sure you'll get it up and smokin.
    Please keep us posted with your progress.
    Very interesting, and a very interesting history!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If Richard FL doesn't see this, PM him. Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options
    And I thought buying high-end groceries and toys was out there.  That said, great score and congrats on the passion to recover and restore.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow, how neat! I have no information for you, but have all the confidence in your skill sets that you'll do it justice. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A guy I used to work with got one with lots of cracks in the base. He filled it with a high heat resin and used it for a year or 2 then gave it this son. Will see if I can get pics.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I can't help, but you're a BOSS!
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Nice find!

@RRP, I have always heard good things about you... well done on the donation! I will be calling on you when my stock gasket needs replacing.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    Nice find!

@RRP, I have always heard good things about you... well done on the donation! I will be calling on you when my stock gasket needs replacing.
    You'll be glad you did. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Not nuts at all. I think it's an awesome project!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Jeremiah .. that thing is freakin' awesome .. looking forward to your restoration of this Kamado!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When the item was first mentioned I posted my restoration of the eggact model.  Can not find it now and am at another location.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    When the item was first mentioned I posted my restoration of the eggact model.  Can not find it now and am at another location.
    I saw that. You did a great job. I'll definitely be picking your brain at some point. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    If the patch has to be fired, wife has a kiln and will be glad to fire it for you. Wife says the patch will not match. May be able to put a new glaze over the entire piece. I assume the ceramics are in two pieces? 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    This is awesome.  Wish I could offer any valuable help, but all I can say is this is a great project regardless of the end result and I wish you the best of luck.
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    Great find good luck with the restoration. I wish I could offer some help but I don't know anything.
    XLBGE, Egging in NH
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Nice score and a fun project. Wish I had the ability to build things. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

I am of no practical help, but wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you will have some wings on it in no time!

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,233
    Options
    That's killer.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The transport vehicle was a C141.  The egg is not made out of ceramic ... ours got damp/wet inside then froze ... bottom fell on the ground when Spring arrived.  Same nest and "Daisy wheel" as ours. Wife loved it.  Neat post ... Thanks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I can see if mom's friend can translate that writing if nobody else can. She may not see her friend for a while so it won't be a quick return on a translation.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    RRP said:
    Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll contribute the Rutland gasket toward the rebuild! 
    Brother, that is mighty fine of you. The forum is lucky to have you hear. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @Jeremiah
    Great score man. Wish you lots of luck with with the restoration project. Can't wait to see it when it's finished. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Awesome score man!!!

I swear, some of you guys get all the cool toys!!  :bawling: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    That's a cool score. 

There's a fella on the bbq-brethren. com site who has restored a few of those.  I think his handle is swamprb over there,  but not sure.  He would be a great resource.  In fact,  you should post a thread there too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.