Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clod Help Me!

Options
MelSharples
MelSharples Posts: 260
I have a 22# choice clod that fell off the truck at work today (busted cryo). Was planning to do a L&S at 250 until the stall then braise in a chili pepper concoction until ready to shred (200°-205°?). The idea is to serve to my warehouse crew for lunch as a hybrid barbacoa with tortillas cilantro and the like.  I am assuming this is going to take approx. 20-22 hours.  I know @SGH has experience with clods. Does my plan pass muster?
LBGE 2015 - Atlanta

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That's a large clod for sure. Your plan sounds good but not sure if it will completely cook in that amount of time. Hopefully @SGH will be along with his ideas.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @MelSharples
    Glad to hear that you cooking a clod, they are one of my favorites. Overall your plan sounds real good to me. I would like to offer just a couple of things if I may. Pound per pound, clod does not take as long as brisket to cook due to far less connective tissue to break down. At 250 degrees, you are probably looking at more like 45 minutes per pound with clod, especially if you are going the braise route. I usually cook clods between 200-225 degrees over water and they take around 1-1-1/4 hours per pound. Again, times are rough guide. There is a lot that influences time, type of cooker, water pan no water pan, set up, etc, etc. The really great thing about clod is due the overall lack of connective tissue for its size, it handles high heat extremely well. You can easily cook clod as high as 425 degrees without any issue at all. The end results will be almost the very same. I mention this in case you get pressed for time. You can ramp the temp up to speed the cooking dramatically. In fact, you can cook clod with excellent results between 350-400 degrees from take off to touch down if you so desire. I would like to make one point very clear, I have never cooked a clod on a Kamado style cooker. All of the above is based on cooking clod on a large offset wood fired unit or a vertical cabinet. However the differences will be minimal.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing it my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jbomar
    Jbomar Posts: 16
    Options
    Will a clod done right shred like a pork shoulder? 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm going to cook a full clod as my first cook in my Shirly smoker trailer when I get it!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I hope we see pics.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Chris Capell of Dizzy Pig fame made one last June. It was amazing and the juices were outstanding. You might ask what seasonings he used for it. No doubt it was Lo and Slo.
  • MelSharples
    Options

Ok, the clod was a success! Rubbed with lots of S & P, and some cayenne. On the egg at 250° with a couple of chunks of pecan at 12pm Sunday afternoon. At 10pm I covered the clod with a chili pepper concoction and added 32 oz of the champagne of beers to the roasting pan and covered with tin foil and went to bed. The egg cruised along, with the help of the Flame Boss, all night. At 8am the clod registered at 208° and probed like butter. FTC'd until 11:45 and shredded for the troops.  Served with warm corn tortillas, cilantro, onions, lime wedges, and salsa. Everyone ate and had seconds, which coming from a crowd of Hispanics seemed like the best compliment I could have gotten. To me, it was a tad on the dry side but I'm not sure if that was from over cooking or from the 4 hour FTC. Next time I'll probably shoot for 45 min/lb and pull it a little sooner. Thanks @SGH for the advice!

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, that looks and sounds awesome.  Nice job.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Spectacular looking cook. Glad to hear that it turned out my friend. Clod is one of my very favorite things to cook. Clod, along with oysters and lobsters automatically earns:

Outstanding job sir :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Bump: and a great clod--Question for you and @SGH - What internal do you take your Clod to- going to do my first whole clod, so been doing a lot of reading--Most say pull @160, some 140 and a few to the 200 range--Pros and cons to the various temps?I would assume the 140-160 people are looking for a Prime Rib like slice? I would want more towards Brisket to pull
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i believe they are similar to the chuck roll to be pullable, it should be around 205 to 210 internal. temps are always a guide,,, it needs to be probed for tenderness
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    i believe they are similar to the chuck roll to be pullable, it should be around 205 to 210 internal. temps are always a guide,,, it needs to be probed for tenderness

Thank You @fishlessman
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MurrayG
    MurrayG Posts: 28
    Options
    Sorry for being a little inexperienced.  What is a CLOD?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @MurrayG

Pretty good explanation here:
    http://barbecuebible.com/2015/08/21/beef-recipes-shoulder-clod/

another pic here:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI