Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How should we cook these???

Options
Planning to grill oysters Rockefeller for an app, I usually do them at 350-400 for about 5 minutes. Then we're doing NY Strips, reverse sear. Should I do the "reverse" part first, pull them at 100° internal, then fire it up to 400° for the oysters and then up to 650° for my steaks? Or should I do the oysters, shut the grill down slightly and add the plate setter, then reverse it and then high temp sear it?

I'm worried that if I bring it up to 350°-400° for the oysters, the temp won't drop down low enough for a proper reverse sear when I add the plate setter. Thanks!!!

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Sounds like you need a second egg...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If it were me, I would do the reverse sear first, then sear my steaks and finish with the OR.  I would use my spider to get my steaks down low and not close the lid.  That should allow to throw on the OR and not be too far off from your roasting temp of 400.  My theory is the steaks sit out better than the OR.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    Sounds like you need a second egg...
    I agree wholeheartedly. My wife begs to differ. 
  • cliffturner04
    Options

4Runner said:
    If it were me, I would do the reverse sear first, then sear my steaks and finish the OR.  My theory is the steaks sit out better than the OR.
    I think we want to do the oysters, have some more drinks, then move on to steaks... Not sure they'd stay warm enough while we did that 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hopefully @Nolaegghead or @SGH will answer 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    I guess my question should be: will my steaks hold indefinitely at 100° once I pull them from the reverse sear on a plate while we have oysters and drinks, and then fire it up to finish the steaks off? 
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    (I know they'll carry over about 10° after I finish the first part of the reverse sear)... Just curious if they'll stay at 105-110° on the kitchen counter until we're ready to fire the grill up and finish them 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You don't want the oysters to sit out. It won't hurt them they just won't be as good as hot off grill. @4Runner has a good suggestion 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    I will take a shot Uncle Apple. If it were me, I would just cook the oysters first. I have never had much issue dropping temp on the egg. Once the oysters are done, choke down the vents and add your plate setter. The temp will fall surprisingly fast if you really choke it and add the cold plate setter. A couple of weeks ago I dropped Nolas egg from 750 degree down to 400 in less than 10 minutes. You should have no problem dropping from 400 down to 250 in minutes with the addition of a cold setter. Again, don't be scared to almost completely close the vents. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My suggestion is to throw the oysters in the garbage, where all oysters belong, and then proceed with the edible food. :lol: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    If you are going to eat the oysters and then have drinks and THEN have steaks, there's no issue. 

Cook the oysters, set the vents for whatever you want for the steaks, and the eat the oysters, drink, etc. 

the steaks go one when they go on and the egg will be ready to go. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• cliffturner04
    Options
    My suggestion is to throw the oysters in the garbage, where all oysters belong, and then proceed with the edible food. :lol: 
    You've never had my Oysters Roc
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    In addition to what @SGH said, oysters should generally be cooked direct over open fire.  You should be able to leave the lid up enough that the ceramics don't get as hot as if you were baking something.

That said, I would probably do oysters rockefeller in the oven.  I'm not sure fire and smoke helps them. 
    NOLA
  • cliffturner04
    Options

SGH said:
    henapple said:
    I will take a shot Uncle Apple. If it were me, I would just cook the oysters first. I have never had much issue dropping temp on the egg. Once the oysters are done, choke down the vents and add your plate setter. The temp will fall surprisingly fast if you really choke it and add the cold plate setter. A couple of weeks ago I dropped Nolas egg from 750 degree down to 400 in less than 10 minutes. You should have no problem dropping from 400 down to 250 in minutes with the addition of a cold setter. Again, don't be scared to almost completely close the vents. 
    Thanks Mate, I'll post some pics after. Then again, if I ruin dinner for my wife and her college
    friends we MAY be able to talk her into that second egg
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Either way, sounds good. If you want to enjoy your apps then cook them first and take your time. Sounds real good right now!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I love carolinaQ man, but anyone being dismissive of good food may themselves be dismissed. Sorry. :)

this goes for those who say "sushi is raw fish? Ewwww", "i prefer lite beer to that fancy stuff", "cook mine well done" etc. 

(all in good fun. But damn. Expand some horizons people. World is already small. Why make it smaller?)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    Options
    Thanks Mate, I'll post some pics after. Then again, if I ruin dinner for my wife and her college
    friends we MAY be able to talk her into that second egg
    My pleasure sir. Looking forward to the pics. Don't worry, you will not ruin dinner, all will be well. We do the oyster and steak combo pretty regular. Just remember to choke her down and the temp will fall faster than you think. Especially if you add the setter. Good luck my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I love carolinaQ man, but anyone being dismissive of good food may themselves be dismissed. Sorry. :)

this goes for those who say "sushi is raw fish? Ewwww", "i prefer lite beer to that fancy stuff", "cook mine well done" etc. 

(all in good fun. But damn. Expand some horizons people. World is already small. Why make it smaller?)

You like whatever you like. I will too. I like sushi. I like liver. And Brussels sprouts. I have tried oysters - enough times to know that I will not do so again. I am not being dismissive of "good" food. I am dismissing oysters. Vile stuff. Sorry. :rofl: 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    @cliffturner04
    Here is our version of Drago style oysters. 

Status- Standing by.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Thankfully, the only opinion that counts is mine. 

To me

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I get it now. For sure do your OR, then set your Egg up for reverse sear.  Thrown on steaks and enjoy your drinks and OR.  Sounds like a good time.  Pull of steaks and set for direct and throw your steaks on when you are ready.   Such a great sounding meal. With my family liked OR.  Enjoy. M
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thankfully, the only opinion that counts is mine. 

To me

Zackly. Now we can get back to the regularly scheduled programming. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut