Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti vs Rtic lawsuit

Options

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Ohhh noo Mr. Bill! Things are gonna get bad. I was watching a video today on the gourmet grill " egg knock off" they even call their stone a platesetter. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    It's Trademark Infringement. I think it's because RTIC used Yeti's name in the advertising on their website comparing the two coolers.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Ohhh noo Mr. Bill! Things are gonna get bad. I was watching a video today on the gourmet grill " egg knock off" they even call their stone a platesetter. 
    BGE does not own the name "platesetter". The name originated for a part used in the pottery trade to set and stack plates in a kiln while being fired. The BGE part looks almost identical.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    It must mean that the coolers are the real deal if Yeti is suing them. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    billybon said:
    texaswig said:
    BGE does not own the name "platesetter". The name originated for a part used in the pottery trade to set and stack plates in a kiln while being fired. The BGE part looks almost identical.
    Yep, which is why they created the name convEGGtor, or whatever it is, so they could trademark it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I thought the same thing. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    It's going down now. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Hope they have their insurance paid up to date...

They should still ship - I don't see any injunction in there just yet.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Yeti is starting to get a lot of competition these days. I guess keeping their legal department busy is one of the ways they intend to try and fend off that competition.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    I never really looked before but if you go to the RTIC website they have an asterisk next to YETI now; with a disclaimer at the bottom saying they are not affiliated with YETI. Might be simple as that. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    I never really looked before but if you go to the RTIC website they have an asterisk next to YETI now; with a disclaimer at the bottom saying they are not affiliated with YETI. Might be simple as that. 
    I agree. I was on the GMC Yukon site this morning and they list all of their competitors with pics, specs, and prices for comparison. I think that kind of thing is pretty standard. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    byrne092 said:
    I agree. I was on the GMC Yukon site this morning and they list all of their competitors with pics, specs, and prices for comparison. I think that kind of thing is pretty standard. 

There's a fine line in "comparing" vs. marketing your product based off of someone else's product.  I don't know the situation in this Yeti case, nor where that line falls.  We have a lawsuit against another company for using our name in their marketing, so I guess I'll find out eventually.  :(
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I pulled the complaint today. Will read and let you know what the allegations are.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    They posted an update yesterday online saying if you preordered in july expect an email within 20 days to complete your order.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    This reminds me of the Toyota Camry commercial a few years ago where they showed a condensed clip of all their competitors comparing their car to the Camry. Afterward the man calmly asked, why not just buy the Camry?? Best commercial ever. 

The market for coolers is definitely filling up quick with yeti-likes. But then so is the ceramic grill market...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    This reminds me of the Toyota Camry commercial a few years ago where they showed a condensed clip of all their competitors comparing their car to the Camry. Afterward the man calmly asked, why not just buy the Camry?? Best commercial ever. 

The market for coolers is definitely filling up quick with yeti-likes. But then so is the ceramic grill market...

You said it man.....

"Imitation is the best form of flattery" they say.  It's true up until the point where your brand starts to get hurt--then you have to spend a lot of money to protect your trademarks.

I think all these low cost kamados on the market are great for getting people into kamado grilling.  Not many people are going to put down a grand on a goofy green looking thing without seeing results first......you wouldn't believe how much crap my dad and I got for buying one 20 yrs ago @ $299.  These lower cost ones get people in, and then they eventually upgrade.  Same deal with all the lower cost lump brands--I love them because they get people off briquettes.  As long as the stuff is better than briquettes, I welcome them to the industry.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    BGE is a premium brand.  They have some of the best ceramics, very good quality control, excellent warranty.   There are higher end kamados.  There are many lower end.  I think BGE is a good buy.  You're paying for a certain percentage of warranty replacements when you buy one, if you get a crack, use your warranty. Where they lack compared to some of the less expensive brands is accessories.   I think they could improve the metal materials in their construction.  Stainless steel metal components would make it premium.  They should have that option, keep a cheap metal line.  They're falling behind the curve in that respect.
    Options

I think BGE should improve their gasket. They should also look at improving their fire grate.

When it comes to patents, the patent holder has to vigorously go after anyone who infringes. If they don't, they may not have a leg to stand on.

Mentioning a competitor in an Ad is done all the time. Chevy compares their truck to Ford. Ford does the same. Nothing illegal about that; but it has to be fact based and not opinion.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Just an FYI, Yeti IS a knock-off cooler. They are NOT the original rotomold cooler. The original was made by Pelican.

The original is a high dollar cooler used to transport live organs for transplant. It could hold a temp and not have to be opened during transport. Someone copied the cooler design, made them bigger and started the Yeti company. They were the first to market them to the public for a "lower" price than the original. The mass public thinks Yeti was the original because they were the first to mass produce and market them to the public. But Pelican was the original. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I pulled the complaint today. Will read and let you know what the allegations are.
    Still awaiting your findings...I know you are not the judge nor jury on this case, but I'm just curious what are the stated charges whereby YETI feels they were infringed upon? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.