Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Secret Steak Ingredient

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Interesting article for sure. Just shows that we all have different tastes and preferences. With that said, no thanks on the sugar for ribeyes and flat irons. Heavy salt, heavy pepper and if I'm feeling bold, maybe a dash of cayenne. Just doesn't get much better than that to me. But to each their own as it were.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
         im going to stick with salt on a good steak.  poorer cuts I do add sugar to a marinade, lots of sugar on brisket =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    it makes sense for browning, but as a tenderizer, nah.  so-called tenderizers sprinkled on meat only tenderize the outer surface. you can't "tenderize" an entire chunk of meat this way.

if you left it overnight in pineapple juice or something similar, you'd see 'tenderizing' for sure, but that would only make for a mushy exterior.  not exactly what people think of as tender, but tenderized by definition. and you'd still have a core of untenderized meat anyway

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    The secret for me is finishing with butter!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Salt, pepper, fire is all I need for a great steak.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    The secret for me is finishing with butter!
    +1
    LBGE and Mini
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Cooking advice from the Huffington Post that's just great... Secret ingredients for a great steak. Kosher Salt & cracked pepper, maybe some herbs, board sauce or a butter finish. Hold the Lib on my steak. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Cooking advice from the Huffington Post that's just great... Secret ingredients for a great steak. Kosher Salt & cracked pepper, maybe some herbs, board sauce or a butter finish. Hold the Lib on my steak. 
    lol, that's funny right there.

I think they (websites in general) just write crap to get people to click.  Who cares if what they're saying is actually correct or not.  I with the rest of you guys - I'll take a liberal amount of kosher salt and a little freshly cracked pepper on my steak and that's about it.  A good ribeye or NY strip shouldn't need much more.  You might make an argument for something like a little garlic powder or cayenne but I don't need sugar to get a nice crust on the steak.

The only steaks I'm marinading are ones that are turning into fajitas.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cooking advice from the Huffington Post that's just great... . . . Hold the Lib on my steak. 
    Actually, that's just a re-post from
    "Epicurious" - political affiliation unknown. =)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns