Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Baby Backs

Options
rossv1
rossv1 Posts: 114
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
Well tonight was my first time trying baby backs. Did them for 3 hours on, 1 hour in foil, then a little over an hour again to finish them off.

Seasoned them with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, brown sugar, and honey. Used Sweet Baby Rays Sweet n Spicy for the sauce.

They tasted pretty good, but I found them to be a little bit tough. I held them at a steady 250-270 for the entire time. 

22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Strange as it sounds if they were tough they were not cooked enough. Check out the bend test (Google).  When a cooked rack bends 90 degrees they are ready- plus you will typically see the meat pull back from the bones.  You may want to give your dome thermo a calibration.  Keep trying new methods and you will find one you like the best. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Check out 2-2-1 on NakedWhiz.com
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Next time you do them, do things exactly the same way ... but, change just one thing foil them for two hrs, then 1/2 hr exposed. Baby backs shouldn't take more than 4.5 hrs.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • rossv1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That would make sense that they weren't fully done yet. I was late getting them on, had a little trouble stabilizing the temp at 250 early on and it wasn't until around 3:30 pm or so that I finally got them on the egg. By the time 5 hours rolled I was so ready to eat I didn't really want to wait any longer. lol.

@SoCalTim, if I do the next rack for a shorter time, should I do them at a slightly higher temp? Say between 275-300? Or is that too high? 

Im totally new to doing anything more than chicken, hamburgers, and the occasional steak so even though these weren't perfect I'm still decently happy with my first attempt. Learning as I go. 
  • DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options

For sure you need the 2 hrs in foil, just the basic 2-2-1 will do the job, see my pictures on the MM, first attempt and it was great. planning another session this weekend with a double grid.

BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    My first time, I did the exact same thing. The "bend test" as mentioned above and meat "pull back" from the bone are excellent indicators of proper cook.
    No worries, throw those back on, or in the oven until done, pull the meat and make pulled pork sandwiches. Out of this world delicious.
    Thanks for posting. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    Options
    Trust me on this.  275 dome temp,  indirect  for 3 hrs ( sauce the last 20 mins) . No foil needed and they will be perfect. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    rossv1  .. best advice I can give you is to just have fun and don't overthink. Your gonna do great!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • rossv1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wrapped them in foil and put them back in the oven for a bit tonight. The meat was much more tender and none stuck to the bone. Might have to do another rack soon to redeem myself and do 2-2-1 instead of 3-1-1, although I do want to try an overnight brisket. But I have a feeling I'm biting off way more than I can chew.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't be scared of brisket. You can do it. It is one of the more intimidating cooks but there's plenty of help here when the time comes.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    Options
    The key to any finish-line cook is the feel.  With ribs I use the "toothpick test". Insert in the thick between the bones meat-no resistance and you are there.  And guess what-same works with brisket-when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance "you are there".  
    Keep it simple-many get wrapped around what is happening with the point:  "Ignore all that."  It has such a high fat content that it is just along for the ride-ride being the thickest part of the flat.  Nail that and a home-run.
    Not @cazzy- but it is the reality of the brisket cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    bill37 said:
    Check out 2-2-1 on NakedWhiz.com
    This is my favorite method.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I've always found that one hour in foil for baby backs is plenty. After an hour they are falling apart and tough to pick up and the bones just want to fall out. Spares are fine for two hours. But baby backs... I can't imagine what they'd be like after two hours. 
    NW IOWA
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    BB were my nemesis when I first got my egg. Made me doubt the purchase. I was overcooking them at 250 for 5-6 hrs no foil. Now I'm at around 4 hrs at 250-275 and they come out perfect. Bite through without falling off bone.
    As mentioned above, check with toothpick for doneness.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Search Mike's Car Wash Ribs. 

You can go (realtively) quick and you'll get a more pork-choppy texture or you can low and slow for a fall off the bone. 

Neither is better than the other. Just different. 

The "chef" at the Mothership did an hour direct at 350 and 45 minutes in tented foil and sauced. Taste was great. Texture was porkk-choppy. 
    New Albany, Ohio