Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Public Grill in Germany

Options
I was in Germany  awhile back and came across this grill in a public park, totally forgot about it until I was looking through some photos recently and decided to share it to all you enthusiasts.  It had a hand crank winch to raise and lower the grill. Pretty cool design I thought.  
Toronto, Canada  LBGE

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wow...that is a beast next to the typical "camp Grill" found here in the US. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Sweet! It's almost like a Santa Maria Grill!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Germans are so crafty 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Very cool!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's slick. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    "We Germans are not all smiles and sunshine."
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    I don't trust Germans when it comes to burning **** over an iron grate. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    *sh!t
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very cool to have that in a public park! I think its a "swinging grill" which are apparently popular in Germany.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options

My grandmother's tattoo from Auschwitz says that's not a funny joke.  I don't think the attempted extinction of an entire race of people is something to joke about.  Just my two cents. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    dboram said:
    "We Germans are not all smiles and sunshine."
    Smallest book in the world? German joke book.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those are pretty cool grills. I remember seeing them while I was there. They did swing them around when they weren't flipping or pulling food off.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    That thing has Texas written all over it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

My grandmother's tattoo from Auschwitz says that's not a funny joke.  I don't think the attempted extinction of an entire race of people is something to joke about.  Just my two cents. 
    Well...there have been a lot of Jewish comedians over the decades that would disagree. Though in more recent years the public outrage machine has gotten louder about criticizing those kind of jokes.

I thought the late, great, Jewish comedian Joan Rivers' holocaust joke a couple of years ago was pretty damn funny. She did catch a lot of grief from the usual crowd but to her credit she refused to apologize for it.

As another famous Jewish comedian - Bette Midler -  used to say when some of her material would get hit by the outrage machine: "Fu?k'em if they can't take a joke!".

Don't recall if the "Divine Miss M" ever made any Holocaust jokes offhand - have to look that up.

Anyway, it's understandable that some may find that sort of humor to be off limits.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Those are pretty cool grills. I remember seeing them while I was there. They did swing them around when they weren't flipping or pulling food off.

Nope, to dayum shiny for Texas!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited July 2015
    Options

Germans can grill and we can learn a lot from them about grilling. And sausage. And beer. I'd go back in a second. Some pictures from 3 years ago.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Well...there have been a lot of Jewish comedians over the decades that would disagree. Though in more recent years the public outrage machine has gotten louder about criticizing those kind of jokes.

I thought the late, great, Jewish comedian Joan Rivers' holocaust joke a couple of years ago was pretty damn funny. She did catch a lot of grief from the usual crowd but to her credit she refused to apologize for it.

As another famous Jewish comedian - Bette Midler -  used to say when some of her material would get hit by the outrage machine: "Fu?k'em if they can't take a joke!".

Don't recall if the "Divine Miss M" ever made any Holocaust jokes offhand - have to look that up.

Anyway, it's understandable that some may find that sort of humor to be off limits.
    I mean I don't know if any of them had to listen to their grandmother tell them about how 17 members of her family were killed at the concentration camp they were in, but you're right it's hilarious.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Germans have a great grill culture.  It's too bad that @Don_Marco and BGE had a falling out.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95