Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confessions of a single egg owner

Options
I currently only have one XL BGE.  I will acquire a second (or more) someday so I can set them up differently at the same time but but for now big green is a bachelor. 

The biggest challenge I face is quickly moving from direct to indirect or vice versa, and loading wood or fuel on indirect cooks.
Inserting the PS after a direct cook is easy enough, but it takes a while to recover temps.

i have all the normal accessories to pull out and store a hot plate setter but it is no fun to do.

in some of the videos I watch, many with weber kettles seem to stack the fuel on one side and use the other as indirect...I've seen the lump dividers...I'm wondering if any others have tried this method?  Any other setups to consider?

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    On the larger eggs, the half moon stones will give you two different zones. If you are cooking small amounts, they work great. I used one in my large a lot until I got my mini. Now I mostly use the mini for all searing. With that said, I was very happy with the half moon stone set up for small cooks. I still use it from time to time when the mini just isn't quite enough direct space. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Go buy a kettle on year of end clearance for $50. 
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I have a Woo which makes moving the platesetter pretty easy.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have an XL BGE and I use a woo and a pizze stone as my indirect setup. With a good pair of welding gloves and a Third Hand from Third Eye, it's easy to go from indirect to direct. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have owned my large for 6 years, my mini for 5. I have never had them both going at the same time. Not even once. I have also never had to add lump or smoke wood. Never gone from indirect to direct or vice versa in mid cook either. Don't see why you would do that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why not buy a kettle to compliment your egg?  You can get a one touch gold kettle for around $150.  The all-or-nothing setup configurations are a weakness of the egg.  Owning and operating two different grills will make you a better cook, better at fire management.  Once in awhile I throw a rack of spares to Q low and slow on the kettle for the shear fun/challenge of it.   

Currently own 2 larges, a small,  and a one touch gold kettle.  When I down-size, it will be to one large and the kettle.  There are certain cooks where each shine over the other.  The Cajun Bandit rotisserie for the kettle is one of the best grilling/smoking accessories out there when paired with Weber's Charcoal Baskets.   

An XL may be the only egg you could split the firebox.  

The ceramic heat retention properties act differently than a thinner kettle, with radiation playing a significant role.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    For doing steaks on my XL for revurse sear, I use my CI skillet on the main grid and cook indirect on my raised grid.  I can then raise the heat and sear in the skillet or on the main grid.  I have used some Weber charcoal trays on one side to to have 2 zones.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The pros of a ceramic grill are also the cons. True two-zone cooking with a split fire zone isn't really possible. Yes, on an XL you can use angle brackets to create the illusion of a two zone cooking environment, but the thermal mass of the ceramics kind of defeats that. 

This is a big reason why reverse-sear is so popular with ceramic grills. Low and slow indirect until almost finished, then pull the heat deflector and fire it up to sear and finish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Also forgot check out the KJ divide and conquer pretty sure the big joe will fit the XL.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    DMW said:

This is a big reason why reverse-sear is so popular with ceramic grills. Low and slow indirect until almost finished, then pull the heat deflector and fire it up to sear and finish.
    And the T-Rex
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks everybody...lots to consider
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...