Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Chicken wing disaster!

Options
2»

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

I always cut up my whole wings like this: 

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html

Also, a very good site with a lot of info and recipes!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Guess I'm the oddball. Hold your laughter. I go 300 indirect. Till they look done. No sauce, just plow boys and its my rub. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    Maybe that was one of the problems! I used a sweet and spicy bbq sauce that I used for my pulled pork a few weeks back. Maybe next time I'll use a different sauce or try a rub... Any reccomendstions?
    Yes, it sounds like the culprit might be the sugar in your sauce.  Don't get discouraged, we've all been there and learned the hard way.  ;)  

I cook my wings raised direct at ~300-325F, but if I marinate them in something sugary, I'll cook indirect.  And like some others have mentioned, if I add sauce, I like to add it after I take the wings off the cooker. 

Everyone has found the way that works for them and there is a lot of great advice in this thread (& all over this forum), so keep trying until  you find the method that gives you the results you love.

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Drummerboy
    Drummerboy Posts: 36
    Options
    Indirect, higher heat and sauce & flip 2 or 3 times. 45 min to 1 hour tops
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    Sounds like your only problem was saucing the wings to early
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you decide to cook with whole wings, then you have an opportunity to experiment with different rubs.  Clip off all the wing tip for rub one, half the wing tip for rub two, and none of the wing tip for rub three.  That gives the family an opportunity to vote for their favorite ... and makes a fun meal.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Rub wings.  Indirect @ 400º.  About 45-60 min.  Sauce after removing.  Let rest covered or slow cooker for "fall off the bone" wings.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    IMO - you either need to goes raised direct at 350-400° or indirect @400-450   I've never had good luck cooking wings at OEM height. I've never tried it but I guess you could try a min amount of lump to increase the distance between the fire & food.  
    I agree 100% with this . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    If you decide to cook with whole wings, then you have an opportunity to experiment with different rubs.  Clip off all the wing tip for rub one, half the wing tip for rub two, and none of the wing tip for rub three.  That gives the family an opportunity to vote for their favorite ... and makes a fun meal.
    Love this idea as I have many rubs to try and wanted to do them side by side but was worried about how i would keep track. Thanks!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    here is one of Kristi's links that was a good one.. particularly the Jalamango Lime Wings.. holy hell Dyal nailed that recipe.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Raised, indirect at 500 degrees for 25 minutes.  Remove, sauce (Frank's), and return to the direct side, turning, for 1-2 minutes 'til crispy with a few grill marks.