Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt tomorrow - best wood choice?

Options
I am going with Gibson's peach pork butt recipe, and will turbo it due to time constraints. Here are the wood choices I have.  I realize that some of them likely make no sense for pork, but I have listed them anyway.  Please chime in with your recommendation.

Hickory, Oak, Cherry, Apple, Sugar Maple, and Alder.  
Winnipeg, Canada

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    kthacher said:
      Please chime in with your recommendation.
    Hickory, Oak, Cherry, Apple, Sugar Maple, and Alder.  
    To each their own, but of the ones mentioned above, I like oak, apple and cherry in that order for pork. I would save the alder for fish. The sugar maple I would use to compliment one of the stronger mentioned woods. Some folks love Hickory. I myself do not. It comes down to your own personal tastes. It's hard to go wrong with oak on anything when it's burning clean.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I have cooked cornbread and biscuits over straight clean burning oak on the big units with outstanding results. Oak is a near perfect all around good wood. The key is just be sure that it's burning clean. But this is true of all woods. Oak is my very favorite. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hickory/peach  Hickory/apple
    Peach...or Pecan

Really comes down to what you have and what you like!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • SGH
    Options
    Chubby said:
    Hickory/peach  Hickory/apple
    Peach...or Pecan
    He didn't mention having any pecan above. With that said, Pecan is one of my very favorites. More often than not, I use a 50/50 split of oak and pecan on everything.  

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Oak is a safe bet. That said, I'm running with hickory today as I'm serving guests and want a really pronounced smoke flavor. I don't know what the peach part of the recipe is, but it may not stand up to a strong smoke flavor like hickory. I think hickory can get bitter sometimes too. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    The peach part is an injection, where the peach syrup from canned peaches is combined with other ingredients and injected.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    +1 on everything that @SGH mentioned above.  Since Peach is not in the mix of choices, then my vote goes to Oak/Apple.  Good luck.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I normally use apple with pork.  It's not as strong as some woods so I'll add a little more to ensure lots of smoke.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hickory and apple for me and my peeps. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For butts, I use hickory, oak or a combination of both. Only recently have I been using white oak and have about decided I prefer hickory. The oak is pretty mild, hickory has more of a kick!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    For Pork I typically use all fruit wood.  For me, that's usually Cherry, but have used Apple when I've not paid close enough attention to my Cherry supply...
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Hickory/apple or hickory/peach or maybe hickory/pecan.  My first exposure to pulled pork was in NC, so hickory was the standard wood.   I am still partial to hickory.   On an Egg, you want to go 1 part hickory and 1 part  apple, peach or pecan.  Do not add too much wood.  Alternatively, you could go 1 part hickory with two parts of the other woods.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have cooked cornbread and biscuits over straight clean burning oak on the big units with outstanding results. Oak is a near perfect all around good wood. The key is just be sure that it's burning clean. But this is true of all woods. Oak is my very favorite. 
    Can we get a zoomed out pic of your rig?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SGH
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Absolutely my friend. Here is Unit #6. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    I have a bigger and nicer one that I'm going to start posting pics of soon. However you will have to view them on the BBQ Brethern. I have been informed that cooks posted on non approved smokers will be killed quickly. The title on the Brethern will be "Unit #8". I use the same SGH moniker on the Brethern as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Options
    SGH said:
    johnnyp said:
    I have a bigger and nicer one that I'm going to start posting pics of soon. However you will have to view them on the BBQ Brethern. I have been informed that cooks posted on non approved smokers will be killed quickly. The title on the Brethern will be "Unit #8". I use the same SGH moniker on the Brethern as well. 
    Awesome!
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX