Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Times Sweet & Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts

Options
Theophan
Theophan Posts: 2,654
I've made this recipe 3 times, now, and it's been a huge hit.  Everyone in my family loved it, and my wife and one of my grandsons said it had instantly become their favorite chicken dish.

Melissa Clark had an interesting article, I thought, in which she said,

The upshot is that grilling juicy, well-cooked chicken breasts involves three basic steps: pounding the breasts to even out the thickness, marinating them aggressively with salt and aromatics, then grilling them hot and fast.

The pounding, a technique I picked up from the grilling guru Steven Raichlen, is probably the least intuitive, but solves the problem of their uneven shape. Chicken breasts bulge at their middles and taper at the edges, making them hard to cook evenly over a direct hot fire. But constantly moving them around back and forth between direct and indirect heat (another option for uneven or large pieces of meat) can compromise the char because they cook so quickly.

The trick is to pound the chicken breasts, but not too thin, which could dry them out. Aim for about a thickness of about ½ to ¾ inch.

She then offered 3 recipes that followed that approach:
I haven't tried the second two, yet, but the first one is really simple, but very tasty.  The odd shaped pieces in the picture are half of a boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded about 1/2" thin (plus a tender that fell off).  I also grilled romaine for the first time, and it was good, but I think the grill was too hot, and longer but slower would have been better.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for the recipe!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Nice!  I want to try the Sesame Lime.  Thx for the links!
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments!  Coriander is the main spice in the "sweet and spicy" one, and that's not a spice that is very typical of foods my family eats, so I was surprised that everybody loved it so much.  It really was a hit.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Looks great. (I'd be careful, tho, about the NYT attribution. Some wouldn't trust the Gray Lady to tell them "water is wet". Or something.)

PS:  how bout that Melissa Clark!!  :)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone Weren't you just talking about this recipie?

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    On topic: looks awesome. I don't do it often, but do enjoy pounding breast from time to time. 

XLBGE 
  • Theophan
    Options
    Looks great. (I'd be careful, tho, about the NYT attribution. Some wouldn't trust the Gray Lady to tell them "water is wet". Or something.)

PS:  how bout that Melissa Clark!!  :)
    I've been very impressed with their Food section, and have scored many recipes from it (and yes, I like Melissa Clark! :))  OT response: The NY Times is pretty far on one end of the spectrum, like Fox being on the opposite end.  I used to like CNN as what seemed like a fairly unbiased news source, but for a long time, now, CNN has become like a tabloid, gushing about the latest pop star scandals, whose dress was showing what amounts of flesh on which red carpet, and I got tired of it.  The Times at least doesn't do much of that nonsense.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like the recipe section, the online version anyway.... Great meal, grilled romaine is the best, IMO. Interesting comment on getting chicken breasts flat to even out the finish. Another alternative is to take the small tip off completely, great for stir fry, souvlaki or breaded nuggets, cutlets or sweet and sour chicken balls. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @theophan thanks for sharing man!  Grilled romaine is great and the chicken looks fantastic.  I'd call that a win!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Theophan
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments!  

Great idea on cutting the tips of the chicken breasts, but I'm terrible about throwing something in the freezer and then forgetting about it, then wondering what it was several years later, and pitching it.  ;)
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Thanks for sharing, I can always use inspiration for chicken. Looks great.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer