Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite BBQ sauce, please include recipes!

Options
So I have been using a sauce called Hogs N Heat, a very good sweet sauce. Not very hot, I usually add some cayenne to take it up a notch. My brother in law made some really good Carolina style sauce last weekend, but I really like a Memphis style sauce better. I am looking for a solid sauce for ribs, with a lititle kick. So my question is, what is your favorite sauce (commercial or homemade...)Please include a recipe if you can. Thanks!
Large BGE

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Since you asked! Hard to beat this one that is my house standard though only the minor modifications are mine to suit our tastes over the many years. Please read the whole story!

SASSY SAUCE

Not too hot  -  not too sweet

It’s just SASSY

Here is the whole story behind this delightful BBQ sauce. I have made a notation in the recipe for my personal preferences and they are labeled as RRP here.

Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL        ron.pat@comcast.net

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe

Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans. 

When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone. 

So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe. 

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components. 

This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!     

THE RECIPE:

This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts. 

Mix in big pot over low heat 

1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1         Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube)
    6 Cups H20 

When sugars dissolve, add 

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right!
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    3  6 oz cans tomato paste
    2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken

Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.  (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.  (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! )

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 13 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do. I always give a bottle of it to an elderly neighbor couple who call it “Ron’s Sassy Sauce” hence the nick name we have given it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @SmokeLife Do you have Mrs. Griffins there?   Kind of mustardy with tomato paste and vinegar.  Made here in ga.   Great on ribs.  Awesome on chicken.   If you can't find it up there let me know
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    RRP said:
    Since you asked! Hard to beat this one that is my house standard though only the minor modifications are mine to suit our tastes over the many years. Please read the whole story!

SASSY SAUCE

Not too hot  -  not too sweet

It’s just SASSY

Here is the whole story behind this delightful BBQ sauce. I have made a notation in the recipe for my personal preferences and they are labeled as RRP here.

Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL        ron.pat@comcast.net

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe

Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans. 

When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone. 

So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe. 

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components. 

This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!     

THE RECIPE:

This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts. 

Mix in big pot over low heat 

1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1         Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube)
    6 Cups H20 

When sugars dissolve, add 

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right!
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    3  6 oz cans tomato paste
    2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken

Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.  (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.  (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! )

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 13 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do. I always give a bottle of it to an elderly neighbor couple who call it “Ron’s Sassy Sauce” hence the nick name we have given it.

Ron - is the yellow mustard seed, powder, or out of the French's bottle?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I will give this one a try for sure, thanks RRP!
    Large BGE
  • SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    @SmokeLife Do you have Mrs. Griffins there?   Kind of mustardy with tomato paste and vinegar.  Made here in ga.   Great on ribs.  Awesome on chicken.   If you can't find it up there let me know
    No, I haven't seen it here. Sounds good though.
    Large BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

Ron - is the yellow mustard seed, powder, or out of the French's bottle?
    Just the plain ol' cheap French's yellow mustard! I think that is the secret beauty of this recipe - it only uses readily available ingredients! AND it will knock your and your friends socks off! Just don't tell them how simple it is! LOL!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I haven't tried @RRP's recipe so I can't speak to it but I like APL's basic BBQ sauce recipe.  If I want it sweet I add some extra brown sugar and honey.  If I want it spicey a little ancho chili powder punches it right up. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • toothologist
    Options
    I bought some sauce while on a weekend trip to Gatlinburg, TN from the Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery. I bought the Hot Barbecue Sauce and Apple Jack Barbecue Sauce. Here's the website. I love a Memphis style sauce and I'm not a fan of a vinegar based sauce at all, but there's just enough vinegar in these to give a tangy taste to them. They're delicious... 

"Quality and convenience are rarely seen walking hand in hand."- Alton Brown
    LBGE
    Northwest TN
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If you're looking for something a little fruity try this:

1 T canola oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1.5 cups fruit preserves (we like peach and blackberry best)
    3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    2/3 cup ketchup
    2 heaping T creole mustard (Dijon works in a pinch too)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)

Heat oil in a pan large enough to hold all ingredients, add onion and sauté until golden.  Reduce heat to medium and add the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer uncovered until all ingredients are combined, about 10-12 minutes.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Here is my RNNL8 BBQ Pig Chaser sauce:

FIERY PEACH BBQ RUB and SAUCE

RUB

1/4 C  COURSE KOSHER SALT
    1/4 C PAPRIKA
    3 TBSP GARLIC POWDER
    3 TBSP CHILI POWDER
    3 TBSP DARK BROWN SUGAR

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER.

SAUCE

1 TBSP BUTTER
    1 TBSP MINCED GARLIC
    1 TBSP MINCED ONION
    6 TBSP RUB FROM ABOVE
      KOSHER SALT AND COURSE GROUND PEPPER TO TASTE
    2 C KETCHUP
    2 C PEACH PRESERVES
    1 TBSP DIJON MUSTARD
    2 TBSP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
    1 TBSP WHATSDIS SAUCE (WORCESTERCHIRE SAUCE)
    1 TBSP LEMMON JUICE
    1 TSP  CAYENNE PEPPER

MELT BUTTER IN LG SAUCEPAN OVER MED HEAT.
    SAUTE ONION AND GARLIC (ABOUT 3-5 MINUTES).
    SEASON WITH KOSHER SALT AND COURSE GROUND PEPPER.
    ADD CAYENNE PEPPER.
    ADD RUB(6 TBSP).
    ADD KETCHUP, PEACH PRESERVES, MUSTARD, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, WHATSDIS SAUCE, AND LEMON JUICE  WHILE STIRRING.
    BRING TO A BOIL, THEN REDUCE HEAT TO A SIMMER. 
    LET COOK FOR 30 MINUTES, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Blueberry Chipotle Stout BBQ Sauce 

- Excellent on Pork Ribs -

1 tbsp canola oil
    1 small yellow or sweet onion, diced
    1 small shallot, diced
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    24 oz Stout beer (I get from my local micro brewer)
    8 oz ripe blueberries
    1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
    1/2 Apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp (or more to taste depending on personal preference) chipotle in adobo
    1 tbsp molasses
    1/3 cup of ketchup (Heinz is the best)
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Preheat canola oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Once the oil is hot add the onion and shallot. 

Sweat the onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
    Add the garlic to the pot and stir, stir for another 60 seconds.

Add the stout beer to the pot and raise the heat to medium high. Allow the stout to simmer and reduce by half, about 15-25 min.

While the stout is reducing, place the blueberries, brown sugar and cider vinegar into a small sauce pan. Place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until the blueberries begin to burst. Remove from heat and set aside.

Add the blue berry mixture and the rest of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce to the reduced stout. Wisk. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.

Allow sauce to cool slightly then transfer to a blender. Blend until very smooth. 

Strain BBQ sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings to desired with kosher salt.

Credit to this recipe - Amanda Simpson

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I also like Adam Perry Lange's recipe (with a few tweaks) for pork, beef etc. For chicken we like Alabama white sauce. We always have these in the fridge.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Strawberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce

Can't remember who this one originated from here. 

1 1/2 c. ketchup
    1/2 c. molasses
    1/3 c. strawberry preserves
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
    2 t. chipotle adobo sauce
    2 T. dijon mustard
    2 T. cider vinegar
    3 T. honey
    1/2 t. liquid smoke
    salt and pepper to taste

Measure all ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk them together until combined.  Heat for 30 minutes to blend ingredients.Taste for seasoning with salt and pepper.  Store in a container in the refrigerator at least 8 hours and up to 3 weeks.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Ok, here's mine!

3 cups red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 lemon (squeeze the juice, remove seeds, add juice and rind to sauce)
    1 can tomato paste
    1 stick butter
    3 Tbsp sugar
    2 tsp red (cayenne) pepper
    1 Tbsp black pepper
    1 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a good simmer/low boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer.  Leftover sauce keeps in the fridge forever.  Just bring it to a boil next time you want to use it.

#######

Its a runny sauce that I got from a friend who was a White House chef back during the Regan Administration. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    Options
    Here's a couple...a sauce and a baste...

The Sauce...
    • 1c Ketchup
    • 2/3c Brown Sugar
    • 1/2c Beer
    • 1/2c Soda
    • 1/3c Real Maple Syrup or Molasses
    • 6oz Tomato Paste
    • 3 tbs Mustard
    • 3 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
    • 1 tbs Sea Salt
    • 1 tbs Dry Mustard
    • 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce