Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Luger Style" Porterhouses from Last Night

Options
Kind of a weird method but it turned out alright.....

1. Cast iron skillet on BGE with butter at 500 degrees

2. Season steak heavily with salt only

3. Toss porterhouse on for 4 minutes and do not touch

4. Remove and carve both cuts of steak (crust side up)

5. Reconfigure porterhouse and toss it back on skillet (crust side up) with a LOT of butter on top for another 3-4 minutes

Overall the steak had more flavor than most I've cooked because by cutting it halfway through allowed the steak to absorb more of the butter/salt. I prefer my steaks medium rare and this one was definitely medium. I like the method but next time I will probably shave 2 minutes off the total cook time because while it does give more flavor cutting the steak halfway through, it also cooks it a LOT faster which I learned the hard way. Style a tasty steak and a fun new cook I look forward to trying again!

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    that looks great.   Got to try it next time.

Garnerville, NY
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome!  I'm sure it tasted better than Lugers too.  They were meat bucket list for me and that was the worst fvcking steak I've ever got at a schmancy steak house.  How does someone ruin a prime day aged steak?  Both steaks we got were terrible too so it wasn't a fluke either.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looks tasty!  Have you been to Peter Luger's?  If so, is it worth the effort to get there?  Taking a train into NYC and staying near Times Square.  I was looking for a classic New York dining experience to try.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Looks awesome!  I'm sure it tasted better than Lugers too.  They were meat bucket list for me and that was the worst fvcking steak I've ever got at a schmancy steak house.  How does someone ruin a prime day aged steak?  Both steaks we got were terrible too so it wasn't a fluke either.
    That is too bad. I saw them on the Food Network earlier this week. They make it sound like it is steak heaven. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Looks great.....not so sure about the cutting thing myself. To me the best part of the steak is gnawing on the bone when finished. I like to leave a little meat around the bone just for this purpose. By the way,......I don't care if it is good manners or not. The bone is there for the gnawing. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cazzy
    Options
    500 said:
    Looks tasty!  Have you been to Peter Luger's?  If so, is it worth the effort to get there?  Taking a train into NYC and staying near Times Square.  I was looking for a classic New York dining experience to try.
    Don't do it!  Learn from our mistake! Lol
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    500 said:
    I went when I was like 11 before I even started appreciating a good cut of steak. Pretty sure I got a cheeseburger  :s Tried going back last time I was up there but was waaaaaaay too late with trying to get a reservation. You have to book weeks in advance. 
    Charlotte, NC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great.....not so sure about the cutting thing myself. To me the best part of the steak is gnawing on the bone when finished. I like to leave a little meat around the bone just for this purpose. By the way,......I don't care if it is good manners or not. The bone is there for the gnawing. 
    :tongue: 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options

cazzy said:
    That is too bad. I saw them on the Food Network earlier this week. They make it sound like it is steak heaven. 
    Yeah, I was super let down.  I really tried to love it but it just wasn't happening.  They brought it out and it looked pretty...then we started eating and it got quiet.  My buddy asked if he could have a piece of ours, then asked me what I thought.  I didn't even know what to say as I was trying to love it.  It didn't hit me until later how bad it was.  No nutty flavor from the dry aging and almost zero beefiness.  The large amount of butter on the plate couldn't save it either.

The best thing I ate there was the thick cut bacon.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    500 said:
    My experience there wasn't as bad as cazzy's; it was a perfectly fine steakhouse steak.  The problem with that, of course, is that given the reputation, price, and opportunity cost of missing another place in NY to eat, you want it to be more than perfectly fine.

If you do decide to go, be prepared - when we went it was cash only.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• cazzy
    Options
    Acn said:
    500 said:
    My experience there wasn't as bad as cazzy's; it was a perfectly fine steakhouse steak.  The problem with that, of course, is that given the reputation, price, and opportunity cost of missing another place in NY to eat, you want it to be more than perfectly fine.

Where do rank it amongst other steaks you've paid for?
  • Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Speaking of dry-aging.....does anyone have any at home methods for this? 

Ive read about the fridge method. Anyone have success with that?
    Charlotte, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome job.  Try adding some roasted garlic along with thyme r rosemary next time to add another flavor dimension to it.  I've done a porterhouse that way but never did cut it up then add it to the skillet again.  Great idea and I'll give that a whirl next time.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    cazzy said:
    How is that not a fluke? It's not like you went on two different days with two different cooks. The same person likely cooked the steaks from an individual order.

Do you even restaurant, bro?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Speaking of dry-aging.....does anyone have any at home methods for this? 

Ive read about the fridge method. Anyone have success with that?
    Yes, I do. Do you have specific questions?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    How is that not a fluke? It's not like you went on two different days with two different cooks. The same person likely cooked the steaks from an individual order.

Do you even restaurant, bro?
    LOL Mr. Black and White, you're always so predictable.  Yes Dylan, I understand that the same person likely cooked both steaks.  If the steaks were overcooked, I'd blame the cook.  I think the biggest problem was the beef.  It was probably under seasoned, but there was no beef flavor and it didn't have the nutty flavor that a good dry aged steak should have.  

I've seen similar reviews of people complaining about their flavorless steak, so go figure.  There were several patrons who were obviously blitzed, so I imagine they loved it in their state of mind.  If I ever go back, I'll get liquored up before I get to my table.

That bacon would be even more awesome if I was drunk....hmmmmmm.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Acn said:
    500 said:

Where do rank it amongst other steaks you've paid for?

I don't go out for steak a ton; I would generally prefer to make them at home; plus I'm not a fan of having to pay for sides, I'd rather have a more integrated dish.  The best steak I've had out was the prime cowboy ribeye at the Oregon Grille, just north of Baltimore.  I'd also rate the both the ribeye with horseradish cream and house special (like a steak au poivre with a mushroom cream sause and blue cheese) at Rays the Steaks in Arlington, VA above Peter Lugar, and probably the porterhouse I had at Bobby Van's original DC location.  I did like Peter Lugar better than anything I've had at Ruth's Chris or The Capitol Grille.

I also should have caveated - my meal at Peter Lugars was in 2007-2008 range, and out of all the steaks above, only the Oregon Grille and a couple of forgettable work dinners at Ruth's Chris or Cap Grille have been in the past 3 years.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Don't eat steak out very often myself (anymore)  but, the best I ever had was at St. Elmo in Indianapolis. And, make sure and get the shrimp cocktail if you go there! And if you are ever in Mexico City give Rincon Argentino a try!
    Options
    I've actually been to ever steakhouse on that list from Food Network - and I would have to say, Peter Lugers wasn't #1 for me in terms of taste - but the overall experience was great. The old school NYC was awesome.

The best on this list in terms of flavor for me has to be Pappas - and not cause it's right down the street from me now, they just have a better handle on the flavoring of the beef that @cazzy was talking about.

@500 - in that area of NYC, the best NYC experience AND steak would be either Del Friscos' (on 49th) or the Palm (the one 50th - called Palm Westside) - here's a list of all the steakhouses in the west side area.

(I used to live on 55th & 8th, so I know the area well)
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've actually been to ever steakhouse on that list from Food Network - and I would have to say, Peter Lugers wasn't #1 for me in terms of taste - but the overall experience was great. The old school NYC was awesome.

The best on this list in terms of flavor for me has to be Pappas - and not cause it's right down the street from me now, they just have a better handle on the flavoring of the beef that @cazzy was talking about.

@500 - in that area of NYC, the best NYC experience AND steak would be either Del Friscos' (on 49th) or the Palm (the one 50th - called Palm Westside) - here's a list of all the steakhouses in the west side area.

(I used to live on 55th & 8th, so I know the area well)

I've had "hit and miss" experiences @ Pappas...but I will heartily second the

St. Elmo's recommendation from above!!

Also...yes, the Shrimp Cocktail...it WILL get your attention!!!!

We've never had a bad meal there in years!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
    Options
    I'm not looking for a steakhouse in particular when I go to NYC.  But I am interested in going to the classic NYC restaurant experience.  One that's been there for years and has a well earned reputation.  Or a new place that's just a greast restaurant.  I know it will cost $$ just to breath in New York.  I'm expecting that.  And to the OP, sorry for highjacking the thread.
    Member since 2009
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    500 said:
    I'm not looking for a steakhouse in particular when I go to NYC.  But I am interested in going to the classic NYC restaurant experience.  One that's been there for years and has a well earned reputation.  Or a new place that's just a greast restaurant.  I know it will cost $$ just to breath in New York.  I'm expecting that.  And to the OP, sorry for highjacking the thread.
    @500 - Patsy's on 58th (I think) - classic old school italian joint that Frank Sinatra used to go to all the time. If you get seated upstairs, they'll show you his old booth and the door he used to get in and out of the restaurant. Great homemade pasta and excellent wine selection
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    500 said:
    Try quality meats- much better place.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Guy Fieri's place in Times Square is supposed to be great!  ****Insert sarcastic music here****
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Last time I went to Lugers (about 2 years ago) it was pretty dam good, but not the greatest steak I could get. A bit over rated, IMO. But I would be glad to have it anytime! 

In NYC if looking for an epic meal/day got to Yankee Stadium for a game and a meal at NYY Steak. Or for another unique experience, Keenes Steakhous. One of the oldest in the city and famous for their Mutton Chops. Overhead are the pipes from all thier patrons from back in the day. Presidents, famous athletes, etc. They all have been there and their pipes hang waiting for their return. Alas, no more smoking at the old place. But it is real cool to see.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Guy Fieri's place in Times Square is supposed to be great!  ****Insert sarcastic music here****
    Its still funny, even though Ive seen it so many times before:

Little Rock, AR

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Agree with @cazzy 's experience at Peter Luger's.  Family said my steaks were much better, and I'm no expert with the Egg.  The thick bacon was the treat.  

Tops on my list for next trip to NYC is the Peking Duck House 
    on 53rd between 2nd and 3rd  OR the peking duck at Hakkasan on 49th for something fancier.    My preference for special meals when eating out on trips are for dishes that are
    1) Regional / local specialty
    2) Something beyond my skill level
    3) Something that would take too much time for me to make

Peking duck fits 2) and 3) above, and I've got to think that NYC would do it well.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Don't eat steak out very often myself (anymore)  but, the best I ever had was at St. Elmo in Indianapolis. And, make sure and get the shrimp cocktail if you go there! And if you are ever in Mexico City give Rincon Argentino a try!
    @TexanOfTheNorth agree! That shrimp cocktail is unreal. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Wouldn't you lose a lot of the juices cutting off of bone during the cook?
    Options
    Thanks for the NYC tips, folks.  Big help.
    Member since 2009