Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Prime Ribeye

Options
EggDan
EggDan Posts: 174
edited June 2015 in Beef
Happy Father's Day everyone!

I decided to spoil myself for dinner tonight and went with Prime Ribeyes from Costco. 

Prep: canola oil on each side, coarse kosher salt, coarse pepper, and just a pinch of truffle salt. 

Cook: during the last two minutes I basted the steak with a butter, thyme, and garlic mixture. To finish I poured the mixture on top of the steak. 

The steak tasted amazing. Nice sear, and I loved the hint of thyme.  A definite repeat.  One of the best steaks that I have ever made!

Comments

• BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Mmm... Looks delicious!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Num! Num Num!.  Very Nice!
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Looks good ! was the entire cook on the CI or just the finish?
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • EggDan
    Options
    @Ivanhoe entire cook!  It ended up tasting very good.  I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of Costco's prime grade ribeye. 
  • Ivanhoe
    Options
    Thanks EggDan! I finished off some burgers on the CI Friday night. First time trying that - borrowed  a recipe from here of course. I've had some costco ribeyes before and they were good.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • EggDan
    Options
    @Ivanhoe do you have the recipe that you used?  I have struggled from time to time with burgers so I am looking for a new method. Thanks!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Looks good. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Costco prime never disappoints.  Nice crust on the ribeye.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Ivanhoe
    Options
    EggDan said:
    @Ivanhoe do you have the recipe that you used?  I have struggled from time to time with burgers so I am looking for a new method. Thanks!

per SmokyBear's recipe from another thread:

I've been doing 4 oz burgers from ground sirloin via raised grid on my Mini in a "reverse sear"..

350'ish for 4 - 4 1/2 min per side.  Remove at ~140.  Let rest a couple of minutes while you get a CI griddle smoking hot.  (I do mine inside on the gas cooktop as the burgers have already gotten plenty smoky on the BGE by this point).  Cook on CI for about 45 sec - 1 min per side to get Malliard reaction browning.  Remove.  Rest for a couple and serve.

These are the BEST burgers I've ever had, bar none.  They were just a "barely" bit pink inside (we like medium plus generally) but soft and melt in your mouth goodness.

I think the key is reverse sear to 140 or so, 1 min or so "nuclear" hot on a CI grill..

YMMV.

Good luck!

Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Damn!
    Those pics have me drooling to the point of shorting out my keyboard.........
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • EggDan
    Options
    Hahahahahahaha thanks :).  Also thanks for the recipe... I will have to try it!