Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wal Mart brisket

Options
SmokeytheEGG
SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
I was at Walmart today and they had brisket for 2.96 per pound. The biggest they had was a 10# (only had 4). Anybody had luck with walmart briskets? Said on the package it was USDA prime. Didn't pull the trigger but may go back. Thoughts??
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Yes it's good, I used their meat all the time. Fact is I try to buy from only one place, so I get consistent quality. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I was at Walmart today and they had brisket for 2.96 per pound. The biggest they had was a 10# (only had 4). Anybody had luck with walmart briskets? Said on the package it was USDA prime. Din't pull the trigger but may go back. Thoughts??
    Are you sure about the prime part??  If so...run back and get all of them and put them all!  Cook one this weekend and stock the freezer with the rest.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've never had a problem with brisket from there or Sam's . Might have to trim a little more pre-cook but the end product is still pretty damn good. Now I'm not comparing it to SRF but it's still good.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    I may have to go get me a couple then. The price scared me. 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I saw one at WM a couple of weeks ago for that price. It was Choice, not Prime. First packer I ever saw in CT. Didn't buy it cuz I don't like brisket. Especially not for 50 bucks!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    The Wal-Mart that's closest to my house seems to have stopped carrying full packers and that's the price at the store further away. I hope as a company they aren't stopping selling them and just trying to sell through what's left.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    super Walmart near our house carries Maverick packers and they tend to mainly be choice, but I've bought Primes there too - generally the same price as the Choice.

for $3 a pound you passed up a great deal - hope it isn't gone when you get back.
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    Maybe it was choice. Will go back in the morning and check it out.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited July 2015
    Options
    They mix Primes in...go back now unless it is a 40 mile trip.  My store churns through some briskets and butts.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Costco is $3.59 for Prime. If WallyWorld has Prime for $2.96, you should get a few of them.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Yup, I get them occasionally.  Nothing at all wrong with them.  
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I saw one at WM a couple of weeks ago for that price. It was Choice, not Prime. First packer I ever saw in CT. Didn't buy it cuz I don't like brisket. Especially not for 50 bucks!! :)

Wha-wha-what!?

You haven't gotten your ticket punched yet for the SRF short bus?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:

Wha-wha-what!?

You haven't gotten your ticket punched yet for the SRF short bus?

Very funny. SRF will never happen. I looked there once. Still smh. Obscene prices. Especially for brisket. I cooked some zucchini with marinara the other day that I would much rather eat any day.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    WW and Sam's typically sell Excel (aka Cargill Meat Solutions). Having worked there in IT, got to know the cattle buyers pretty well and knew the quality they looked for when buying.  I knew of multiple instances where they turned down sub-optimal herds. All of their beef hangs in the coolers for at least 30 days after the kill.   The had several plants that did >10K head/day.  They are the primary supplier to WW, Sam's, Kroger,Safeway(Ranchers Reserve)
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Please report back Smokey...I would like to know if there is a chance if I can find a Prime packer at my wally world :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    I bought one this week to cook this weekend.  It is Excel and is USDA Choice.  I paid 2.96/lb for it.  Will let you know how it comes out.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • toothologist
    Options
    I've only bought one, and it was Excel as well. I found it to be a little on the tough side; however, I think it was only my second or third brisket cook. Haven't bought another once since. I did just order one from Creekstone Farms online.... free shipping is legit. I also think USDA Prime at Walmart (at least in my area) would be highly unlikely. 
    "Quality and convenience are rarely seen walking hand in hand."- Alton Brown
    LBGE
    Northwest TN
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Last one I did was 14# from wally world. I went cheap since I had a very large group to feed. It was great. For the family I buy from a local farm.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    WW and Sam's typically sell Excel (aka Cargill Meat Solutions). Having worked there in IT, got to know the cattle buyers pretty well and knew the quality they looked for when buying.  I knew of multiple instances where they turned down sub-optimal herds. All of their beef hangs in the coolers for at least 30 days after the kill.   The had several plants that did >10K head/day.  They are the primary supplier to WW, Sam's, Kroger,Safeway(Ranchers Reserve)
    I was wondering if Walmart/Sam's Club brisket was from the same supplier.  Walmart choice brisket was $2.98 lb. and Sam's Club choice brisket was $3.19 lb.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    onedbguru said:
    I was wondering if Walmart/Sam's Club brisket was from the same supplier.  Walmart choice brisket was $2.98 lb. and Sam's Club choice brisket was $3.19 lb.
    If I recall correctly someone mentioned that Sam's carried Angus brisky.