Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Thermapen ok through airport security?

Options
Good evening-

I am traveling to see my parents in the near future and I am anticipating that I will be asked to cook something on the Weber at their house (almost have them converted to BGE) and I wanted to take my Thermapen to at least give me a chance to create something decent. Does anyone know if TSA will let a Thermapen through security in a carry on or do I need to check it? If I have to check it, will that cause any issues? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks and have a good 4th!

Cheers,

Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I asked this about a year ago and the consensus was to check it. I wrapped mine in bubble wrap and packed it in my suitcase with clothes. No problem at all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Not sure, but TSA could see that as a weapon due to it's pointed probe.  Best call ahead to be sure, don't want to end up loosing the pen or in jail.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The pusification of America. Sadly ya... I'd check it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    DMW said:
    I asked this about a year ago and the consensus was to check it. I wrapped mine in bubble wrap and packed it in my suitcase with clothes. No problem at all.
    Ok, thanks for the information. I will check it. Hopefully I can convince them to buy one and have it one site for our next visit. B)
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Its got a pointed tip .. so safe to assume that they'll take it if they open up your carry-on bag. I had some rubs 2 weeks ago in my carry-on and they opened up my bag and took my 5oz shaving cream .. the rubs were fine but showed up as something weird on Xray.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Check it. You wouldn't want to have to leave a $100 thermometer with your friendly neighborhood TSA agent. 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I can't imagine being able to bring a 5 inch stabby onto the plane but maybe.  Also they do not seem fragile to me I would tuck it between some clothes in checked luggage without hesitation.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Sounds like your parents need a gift. Backlit Thermapens are on sale. Just order one and have it delivered to them. They'll appreciate the gesture. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Its got a pointed tip .. so safe to assume that they'll take it if they open up your carry-on bag. I had some rubs 2 weeks ago in my carry-on and they opened up my bag and took my 5oz shaving cream .. the rubs were fine but showed up as something weird on Xray.
    Yep, I brought a bunch of rubs with me to Salado. Made it through security in Philly no problem. On the way back in Killeen it showed up on the Xray and they had to take a look. They told me they show up weird, next time get them out like you would a laptop. Apparently it has happened there before.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    According to TSA:  "Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage."
    The pointy tip of a Thermapen doesn't seem any more of a threat than knitting needles. No guarantee, but I suspect that it would make it through.  

On the other hand TSA says: "Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage."  
    Fishing hooks are dangerous, but knitting needles are not??
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    And they'll give a 3x over with a total knee or hip replacement.....  Love is you can use that as a weapon. 

From working with the TSA in years past setting up Orthopaedic Protocold for travelers with plates, screws, and joint replacements, check it. It'll me much easier. Bubble wrap and put in a shoe....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Check it through! Why risk getting a newbie wanting to be a hot shot manual reader! I just don't get questioning the risk! I mean you might get thru the next person won't.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Hey personally i dont trust grannies with knitting needles. Past experience is that they are excellent persuaders
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you're checking a bag anyway, why risk it?  You planning to check the it of the attendants?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Buy your folks a thermopop. $30-ish. Leave your pen at home.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 to the idea of gifting a thermopop or thermapen to your folks. I travel with the TW "fun size thermometer" in case I end up cooking while travelling. it stays in my carry-on and has not been a problem yet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the ideas and suggestions! I will work on getting something sent to them for our next trip, the Thermapen will be in the checked luggage this time. Love this forum and the people who add great information =)

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You will be dragged to gitmo and waterboarded, and if you ever make it out, you'll be on a terrorist watch list for perpetuity.  Check it. 
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Same thing happened to me on my way home from Charlotte last week. I picked up some DP rubs in Hickory NC and they had to check my bag. The TSA agent REALLY examined my rubs. I thought for sure he was gonna take them. He swabbed them all over. I guess he didn't know what they were. Apparently not an egger. LOL
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I've checked mine many times and will do it again tomorrow.  Thanks for reminding me that I need to pack it!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    If you were running in the aisle with an unsheathed thermopen in hand, you could trip and poke someone's eye out.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i havent taken a carry on to the airport for a long time, last time they tried to take my size 26 fishing hooks, a size 26 is to small to bait a flea.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    If you were running in the aisle with an unsheathed thermopen in hand, you could trip and poke someone's eye out.  
    I here what you're saying; but there was a time when we did not consider box cutters a lethal weapon. You may recall that, after 9/11, you could not even carry nail clippers on the plane.

I'd put the thermapen in my checked bag rather than take a chance that it would be confiscated.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Did check it through, no issues either way. My father is purchasing one today on the Thermoworks site so should be the only time I had to do this. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO