Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger FAIL

Options
Made burgers (again) and bacon wrapped tots with Meatchurch seasons. The bacon wrapped tots were awesome, I would image pretty hard to screw up.  However the burgers are the same as last time, grey, mushy and maybe granulated I would say. 

Burgers where 80/20, added Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Did not press down at all besides a thumb print in the middle.  Cooked at 350 for 20 mins on griddle with no placesetter. Did I say, Grey inside, mushy and somewhat granulated. FAIL. 

I would like to get a restaurant quality burger of the bge. HOW? :) Picture below is of dinner. Too thick and too done?

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    20 minutes? Thats way too long. I usually sear hot and fast, just a couple minutes per side. I like them thicker so they stay rarer on the middle.  Leave out the worcestershire sauce. I just for meat patties, sprinkle a smidge of salt and pepper on. Thats it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Did you leave the Worcestershire in a while?  I did so once and it turned out mushy inside.   I now just mix onions, garlic powder and Worcestershire (a little watered down) while I heat the egg and that seems to be OK.

Which restaurant burgers do you want to emulate?  I'm sure you don't mean fast food, if so you will have to leave out the meat 
    :) 

The food on the plate does look good.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    I've heard 145-150 for internal temp?  I pulled them off at 170-180.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I pull mine off around 150+.   160 is suppose to be the safe point for ground beef, but that seems a little overdone.   No one will eat pink burgers here.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    450/500 direct for 3 to 3/12 minutes (with 80/20 and they should release from a clean grate) then flip until your desired temp for me it's MR about 3 to 3 1/2  4 more minutes with a 3rd # burger. I thermo pen to check looking for 145/150 then rest. 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sounds like your ground  beef may be too lean. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have recently discovered Worcestershire powder. All the flavor without the liquid.
    I have also found another secret to add a big beefy taste to burgers and steaks.
    http://betterthanbouillon.com/products/product-detail.aspx?productid=9

I baste it on the burger/steak after flipping. And again as I take them off the grill.
    It amps up the beef flavor on the order of 1000%
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I've heard 145-150 for internal temp?  I pulled them off at 170-180.
    Way too done. I pull mine at around 140. I know guys pulling them at 120. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    80/20 is great. You need to go hot and shorter time. 400 with 4 minutes a side on your set up.  IT should be about 160. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I never mix any liquid in my burgers. They get mushy, not to mention when mix it in you expose more meat to the air and it oxidizes and turns gray. I handle ground meet as little as possible. Make your burgers, then season both sides and throw them on the egg. Works best for me anyway. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Hell @nolaegghead eats it raw!
    @nolaegghead eats ground up coon burgers (rare). 

Little Rock, AR

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @SGH has some cool pics floating around on how to egg a burger. I'll try to find the link
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @sgh just cooks the whole damn cow in unit 57 and then cuts a burger size piece of meat from wherever he deems best. 

Little Rock, AR

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @sgh just cooks the whole damn cow in unit 57 and then cuts a burger size piece of meat from wherever he deems best. 
    LMAO. :lol: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • outdoorsmin
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    80/20 is great. You need to go hot and shorter time. 400 with 4 minutes a side on your set up.  IT should be about 160. 
    4 mins a side, how thick of a burger?  Thanks, Troy
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Burgers are best seared hot and fast - maybe 2 to 4 minutes a side over hot lump depending on the thickness of the burger.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    one thing that I have learned by experience is to flip burgers often
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I'm with @Steve753 .  I flip often.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have recently discovered Worcestershire powder. All the flavor without the liquid.
    I have also found another secret to add a big beefy taste to burgers and steaks.
    http://betterthanbouillon.com/products/product-detail.aspx?productid=9

I baste it on the burger/steak after flipping. And again as I take them off the grill.
    It amps up the beef flavor on the order of 1000%

You win. I usually have that stuff in the fridge. Now I have something else to use it for.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.