Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alternate starter materials?

Options
Has anybody tried beeswax and wood shavings as a starter?  We have some old beeswax (I trust the source--I own it) and friends who turn wood and produce both lovely items and lots of hardwood chips.  I hate to pass up free....
Any thoughts?

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    As long as its flammable??? And not coated in chemicals I think it should do just fine. Welcome. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I'd try it and use it if it works. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'd start with ICE CUBE trays and use that as my mold.

Would paraffin and non-plywood sawdust work?  
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Paper egg cartons. We use these for Scouts. Exactly as described. Cut them apart and away you go. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Rutland Firestarters - Amazon

Same as BGE but MUCH less expensive.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    1)  Weber chimney and 1 or 2 pieces of newspaper.
    2)  drizzle cooking oil on a couple of paper towels.

Use the hardwood shavings for smoking.  Not sure I would burn beeswax in a ceramic vessel. Never tried it, but I don't think I would chance it soaking into the base, but that is just me.  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My most unusual fire starter was a big wad of clothes drier lint, soak with melted paraffin. Worked really well, better than wax and sawdust, better than cooking oil soaked paper towels. Just took a couple of weeks of washes to gather enough...
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I pick up a package of starter cubes from publix now.  Same as bge just cheaper
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I still feel it's hard to beat 91% rubbing alcohol and a match.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Another vote for 91% alcohol.  Clean, fast, and odor free. 

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    gdenby said:
    My most unusual fire starter was a big wad of clothes drier lint, soak with melted paraffin. Worked really well, better than wax and sawdust, better than cooking oil soaked paper towels. Just took a couple of weeks of washes to gather enough...
    I would be going through withdrawls if I had to wait 2 wks between cooks ;)
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'm in the paper towel and cooking oil camp. It costs me about a nickle to start the XL and I don't think I remember the last time I needed more than a single match.

The take home message from this thread (and many others like it) is that there are myriad ways to start an egg and pretty much all of them will work if you play with them a bit. Personally I can't see paying for a something that is a starter unless I've already got it on hand for (essentially) free.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Use Duraflame ...Duraflame and Java Logs, are made of compressed sawdust, vegetable and plant wax, and other recycled ingredients, such as ground nutshells or coffee grounds. These are 6 for $13 at Walmart.

Cut off small chunks as you need it. The 6 logs will last you until your grand kids are grown...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Can't see why shavings and bee's wax would not be a good home made starter cube. I like the suggestion above about making them in a cardboard egg section. 
    Welcome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SoCalGirl
    SoCalGirl Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks, all. 
    I've used paraffin, lint and wood shavings in an egg carton for campfires, but I hesitate to use paraffin in the BGE as it does have an odor.  (Used one in a smoker for a beehive and gagged on the smoke.)  So I'll either use the crappy beeswax with lint and shavings or salad oil on paper towels.

I have to say I've learned a lot already from the forum and I've only been on a few days!  Makes great reading.  Thanks for the opportunity.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Rutland Firestarters - Amazon

Same as BGE but MUCH less expensive.
    Yes, I use the Rutland from Amazon. They work great.