Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Options

Comments

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    I've been telling myself I have no need for an infrared thermometer, but then this griddle shows up, and the IRs at Thermoworks go on sale for $39. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Fried rice was really really good yesterday. It was ground breaking today. OMG. I turned the heat up today and refried yesterday's fried rice and it was PERFECT. I mean holy cow. Delicious.   

I had to work today so no lunch or breakfast shots. (though I did make some ridiculous pancakes this morning. No pics though.)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    I love my blackstone pizza oven, and have been thinking of one of these for a while.  I just placed my order from Target.  Thanks for the heads up.  Cant wait for fried rice on this, and bacon, and breakfast, and, and ....
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy Did you also purchase the cover? If so how does it fit?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Man! I just bought a few gladiator garage units for fathers day. Hate I missed this. We have a target card so could get free shipping and another 5% off

XLBGE 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    Just ordered mine 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would like one, but can't see that I would use it that much to justify it unless I cooked for a lot of people.  It would be great for parties though.  If I did I think I would go with the 28" one.  SWMBO did not seem to keen on it last night and there are other things I rather have right now.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Hotch - I ordered the cover from Amazon and it fits great and seems well made.  

However, I didn't check the reviews until after I ordered it.  Many people state it is not waterproof and won't keep the rain out.  I did a quick test- I poured a cup of water on top and let it sit a few minutes.  If you can store the griddle under a covered porch or something I think it would be fine but if it sitting out in the rain I'm not too confident it will keep the griddle dry.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    SmokeyPitt, @Hotch, I've had the cover for nearly a year(has held up well) including lots of snow last winter.  The griddle will get wet due to the big flat surface of the griddle.  I lay a 6" long section of 4X4 in the middle of griddle before covering, allows rain to drain off.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SmokeyPitt, @Hotch, I've had the cover for nearly a year(has held up well) including lots of snow last winter.  The griddle will get wet due to the big flat surface of the griddle.  I lay a 6" long section of 4X4 in the middle of griddle before covering, allows rain to drain off.
    Thanks @Bustersdad that is a great suggestion.  I am going to do this and also put some seam tape on it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Hotch - I ordered the cover from Amazon and it fits great and seems well made.  

However, I didn't check the reviews until after I ordered it.  Many people state it is not waterproof and won't keep the rain out.  I did a quick test- I poured a cup of water on top and let it sit a few minutes.  If you can store the griddle under a covered porch or something I think it would be fine but if it sitting out in the rain I'm not too confident it will keep the griddle dry.  
    I have heard the suggestion of putting a couple restaurant pans inverted on the griddle top to keep water from pooling and to keep the top off the surface. My cover came in today.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will order the cover tonight.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    ive been looking for a way to make Mongolian bbq at home... Kind of like what you would get at Ghengis Grill.  I almost ordered an evo for this purpose.  I wonder if this would get the job done? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    ive been looking for a way to make Mongolian bbq at home... Kind of like what you would get at Ghengis Grill.  I almost ordered an evo for this purpose.  I wonder if this would get the job done? 
    This may do the trick.  The thing I like about those places is the meat is frozen when cooked and is so good.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    As long as you can slice the meat thin enough. This should have the BTU's to do Mongolian style.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I pulled the trigger on the SS model a few weeks ago. Got it assembled and a basic seasoning on it. Have cooked omelettes, Smashburgers, and french toast so far. Planning on trying kung pao chicken in the near future.
    Always wanted a good griddle - started out a Mickey D's as a cook, then a short order cook for a brief time, then in a Kitchen in College as a Starving Student. Not quite as big or thick as a pro kitchen, but it sure is great having a flat top at home!
    South SLO County
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dammit. Another toy that I MUST have. But probably won't ever get. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Come on, man! I need you to get one and then post lots of tasty recipes over on your blog!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Come on, man! I need you to get one and then post lots of tasty recipes over on your blog!

You buy it for me and I will. I promise. LOL

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I see most everyone getting one is the 36", how is the 28"?  I may be able to afford it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I could swing the 28" with the wife, but I like the 4 burner look of the 36". Although most things I'd cook would fit on the smaller one, would hate to skimp. Might try take back these garage shelves!

XLBGE 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I could swing the 28" with the wife, but I like the 4 burner look of the 36". Although most things I'd cook would fit on the smaller one, would hate to skimp. Might try take back these garage shelves!
    We have a new collapsible wagon we haven't even taken out of the box yet and have had it for almost a month.  I may take it back.  Father's Day is coming so i need to wait. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I've heard not so good things about the smaller one. I stayed away from it because of uneven cooking complaints
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Hotch
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Griffin said:

You buy it for me and I will. I promise. LOL

@Griffin Come on over to the house anytime and you can use mine. Especially if you figure out how to make @Dyal_SC's Totcho's on it.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I see most everyone getting one is the 36", how is the 28"?  I may be able to afford it.
    Look for a commercial griddle at a restaurant auction. Plenty of restaurants go out of business and equipment gets auctioned off. These would hold heat a lot longer than the Blackstone.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Look for a commercial griddle at a restaurant auction. Plenty of restaurants go out of business and equipment gets auctioned off. These would hold heat a lot longer than the Blackstone.
    But, it will be hard to beat Targets price of $239.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Reverse sear. Egged these steaks indirect up to 110 internal because they were thin. Then on to the Blackstone on high with butter. The wife made some amazing homemade mac and cheese and I threw some veggies on the griddle for a wonderful meal!

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Nice looking grub. Just got my Emersion cooker today and now I have to get this. I need to exspand the out door space.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Ladeback69
    im pretty sure your gonna want the big one. I just went to lowes and saw it in person. The 28" wasn't there but the 36" was not as big as I had in my head. I'd defiantly have to get the big one even if I was just cooking for two. 

XLBGE