Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't master the simplest of cooks!!! Hamburgers grilled direct! What am I doing wrong?

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
I've cooked brisket, ribs, shoulders, pizza, etc and have nailed them, no problems.  But the simplest cook, hamburgers direct causes me problems.  
My problem is flare ups and the bad taste as a result.  I always make my own out of 80/20 beef.  No matter what, there's always drippings and a bad flavor.  Should I cook them indirect, will that help?  Cook them in a cast iron skillet on the Egg?
I know I've got to be missing something really basic and simple.  Thanks in advance for any insight and help.
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    i dont do very many burgers on the egg, and to be honest when I did them last, I did them indirect and then a sear after, I thought they turned out great, raised drip pan, no flare ups, no mess, no burnt smoke. Maybe not the correct way to bbq burgers, but on the egg i will probably keep doing them this way. I dont even sear them if we want cheese on them. 
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    Cut the fat to 15%
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with flare ups exactly.  I usually cook raised direct or I just don't put too much lump in.  Cook around 400 and keep the dome shut as much as possible (flip quickly) and the flare ups aren't too bad. 

I think anytime you go direct you will have fat/dripping hitting the burning lump and burning.  If I have a load of burgers on the egg it is pouring out smoke.  However we usually love the end result.  I can definitely taste the "back yard burger" flavor but I kind of like it.    

If you want to cut down on the burning fat, I think a reverse sear like @AlbertaEgger mentioned would work fine and definitely cut down on some of the burning fat.  The fat collected in the drip pan wouldn't be burning and then you could give them a quick sear on the grid or a cast iron griddle or skillet.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Mother experience calls for indirect and cast iron at my house.  Great for burgers, great for keeping knuckle and forearm hair.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I stopped doing burgers on the egg, just not worth the hassle to me.  I use CI on the gasser's side burner ro preheat the CI and dear one side, then flip and onto the gasser indirect at 350-375 until an IT of 155-160.  I can also do this method on the stove if the weather isn't cooperating.

On the egg, I'd probably go with @hendersonTRKing's suggestion, indirect in CI. And I'd let the CI preheat for probably 30-35 minutes before cooking.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• wgjj
    wgjj Posts: 1
    Options
    I got my XL BGE three months ago and,although I love it,  have had the same observation. Unbeatable with long and slow indirect cooks but the hardest for me to master has been the simplest burger and steaks as well. What I would like to see is a way to have half the grill cook direct and the other half indirect (or with some type of cool zone) so that you could sear burgers/steaks and then move them to a cooler part of the grill. This would also be handy in cooking two types of food on the grill at the same time. Surely I am not the first to have noticed a need for this. I don't see any "eggcessories" to handle this. Do I need to come up with my own? Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Get in and get out.   An open lid is not your friend. If you do thicket burgers try reverse sear. If they are thinner flip quick or pull the grate, flip, and then put them back in.  Even put the cheese on after you pull them out.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    450 4 -5 minutes a side - direct

That said, I've been cooking burgers with raised direct lately. 450 4-5 minutes a side.

NEVER fails (on a large)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Acn said:
    I stopped doing burgers on the egg, just not worth the hassle to me.  I use CI on the gasser's side burner ro preheat the CI and dear one side, then flip and onto the gasser indirect at 350-375 until an IT of 155-160.  I can also do this method on the stove if the weather isn't cooperating.

On the egg, I'd probably go with @hendersonTRKing's suggestion, indirect in CI. And I'd let the CI preheat for probably 30-35 minutes before cooking.
    lame
    New Albany, Ohio 

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gotta say I struggle with anything "grilled" on the Egg for all the same reasons mentioned above.  Anything low and slow shines on the Egg, but soon as I get grilling I have a tendency to burn real quick.  Chicken is a killer for me too.  Maybe if I invested in a raised rack system would help.  I've talked to a bunch of people and that seems to be the way to go.  I'm also contemplating reverse sear soon on steak, chops, and or chicken just to see how it works.  The old Weber kettle shines for grilling for me:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • K_Rock
    K_Rock Posts: 16
    Options
    I've followed the approach listed in the link below for burgers on the egg and it's always turned out great results - no flare ups or burnt taste... Essentially you just grill them around 450-500 for 4-5 mins each side with the lid open and then shut everything down and let it 'dwell' until they reach the internal doneness you are looking for. Just make sure to either keep a small air gap on the vent or open the daisy wheel just before you pull them off to avoid the risk of any backdraft... Never happened to me but better to be on the safe side!

http://iamjoshbrown.com/big-green-egg-all-american-burger/

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I also like using my Portable Kitchen Grill for cooking burgers because you can place the coals on one end and use the other for indirect.
    Its made out of heavy cast aluminum and the design has been around since the 1950's. PK also has fanatical customer support like BGE.
    The PK makes a great addition to the BGE setup. 
    http://www.pkgrills.com/

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I do burgers on the range top and finish in the oven. I sear in bacon fat, use a 80/20 mix plus bacon, and I don't get a nasty taste.

I am sure you could do them on the egg, but I have not bought any lodge skillets. Not everything in my house is automatically done on an egg. I know,  I'm lame.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    450 4 -5 minutes a side - direct

That said, I've been cooking burgers with raised direct lately. 450 4-5 minutes a side.

NEVER fails (on a large)
    Ditto. I have found direct at lower temps works great (and lid closed). 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Love my burgers done on the egg at stock grate height usually around 350...never had a bad one yet whether the patties are homemade or store bought. Will eventually go higher with the grate. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have struggled with consistent burger cooks myself until recently. One time they would come out fantastic and the next time they would come out mediocre at best. 

My favorite way to make a burger is on the Mini - This is a recent discovery and they are requested multiple nights per week now. 
    • Hand-shaped 1/4 pound burgers 1/2" thick and seasoned with Montreal. 
    • Start the mini wide open. 
    • Stir the coals to get the red hot ones on top. 
    • Sear at 650+ for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side. 
    • Slice of cheese for the last 15-20 seconds and put them on a buttered and toasted white bun. No condiments needed.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Or maybe a Primo? Kamado cooks like the PKG or a kettle. @GregW.
    Burgers raised direct for sure and keep the temps under 400ºF. Leave yourself some room to move the burgers to a cooler spot where fat has not been dripping. Remember the old days cooking on a gasser with lava rocks? @DoubleEgger has a good thought - the normal 80/20 mix is to keep things from drying out - not an issue in an egg.  
    Try an 85/15 mix by weight. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Glad I'm not alone as I have always struggled with burgers. This past weekend though I went raised direct and dropped the temp to about 400 and didn't have near the issues with the flare-ups and they turned out as good as ever.  I think I cooked them a little too long - internal temp of 160. What temp do you guys pull your burgers at?  Seems like 150-155 would be a nice medium burger. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I do burgers on my Large Egg regularly.
    I do a "lightweight" indirect, just using an aluminum pie pan or similar.
    Prevents flare-up nicely and great eating!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I only do beer can bacon burgers now. 300 degrees for 1 hour indirect, AWESOME! fillings of your choice. 158 IT on the meat.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Lower temp. Direct and do not open the lid until turn time

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Never had a problem with burgers?  I cook them all the time to perfection on my LBGE.  Usually make the patties a fat 1/4lb but never more than 1/3lb.  Salt and pepper or Red Robin brand spice mix for a shortcut.  Key is putting the large indent in center of patty.  Grill direct at about 375-400 flipping once after 4-5 mins(depending on temp).  Cook to 160F using an accurate thermometer(I prefer a Thermapen)  Best burgers ever!  Very consistent.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dude, I didn't read all the other responses but I'm doing my best burgers ever. Indirect, baking steel on the top. Form the patties in balls and squeeze a bit. Throw them on the steel and squash with a big spatula. Felt your pain for about 16 years.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I saw , I think in a ceramic shop where you can order a device that fits the egg fire box an divides the lump so basically you'll be burningon one side of the egg and cooking on the other.Sort of direct but not direct.
    The best advice is from fellows before me, lower your temp to 400. Good luck.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Go 400° raised direct until almost done. Remove , place CI griddle on and finish in CI. 

I'll close the bottom vent completely at some point to avoid adding a lot of air. If going direct I'll have the lid up a lot of the time. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Raised direct for this kid -  400 and keep lid down as much as possible. Always seems to work for me. I find I'm too lazy to use the cast iron.....save it for sliders and steaks. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    +1 on the raised cast iron.  Standard or beer can.

I'm no expert, but after using CI for burgers once, I was hooked and never grilled since.

Phoenix 
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    YEMTrey - you aren't pressing down on the burgers while they are cooking, are you?   I've never had any problems with burgers.  I don't pay much attention to temperature or grid height.  Although I usually cook on the regular height and maybe 400-450.  I think?   I just put them on and move them around to optimal positions as they cook.  Maybe moving away from flare ups after they have stopped dripping.  Or to a cooler spot if they seem to be charred yet not finished internally.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for the response's everybody.

I guess I'll start to use cast iron or invest in a baking steel.  The one's I cooked last night started off direct at the grid level at around 375-400.  Lots of flare ups, acrid smoke, and no joy even standing around the grill.  I then added my extended rig on top of the grate and got them hire up in the dome.  That was later in the cook, so not sure if it helped or not.  And I only put the burgers on, no pressing (flattening) or anything else done.  Only open to flip them. 
    I'll keep on trying, thanks for the input.  Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio