Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Which ceiling fans did you install for your patio?

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
I have 2 ceiling fans in the patio area that need to go. The blades have that faux wicker on them, and I can barely feel any air moving when the things are running. I want to replace both, so I'm looking for fans with a light fixture, and preferably remote control. 

I'm hoping that some of the folks who have recently built patios with ceiling fans will chime in.

Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hunter is a top name brand. I have 4 and 1 is on our screened porch so it has plastic blades. It's only a 3 speed, but can it blow your hair back on high!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Hunter Sea Air is a really good fan for outdoors.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    If you're looking for something in the tim the tool man taylor spectrum of fans. You can get what I got. A Big Ass Fan company Haiku. They are very low power consumption with very high output. The blades are engineered much better with a lot of attention paid to air movement. They rock.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    Options
    If you're looking for something in the tim the tool man taylor spectrum of fans. You can get what I got. A Big Ass Fan company Haiku. They are very low power consumption with very high output. The blades are engineered much better with a lot of attention paid to air movement. They rock.
    Every Big Ass Fan I have ever seen are huge! You must have rooms the size of an airplane hanger!  :)
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Dang!  Looked up the Big Ass Fan Haiku....  That's a nice looking fan, but SWMBO'd have me living on the porch if I brought home a $1k ceiling fan!

those are pretty sweet looking, though!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will look into the Hunter products. @RRP - have the plastic blades held up well over the years? Any sagging or warping of the blades?

@Thatgrimguy - Big Ass Fans is one of the companies I'm considering (@RRP - they have a residential line of products MUCH smaller than their usual stuff :) ). I didn't know that they had Haiku fans rated for outdoors - I thought the Isis line was the outdoor one. I will do some more research and see. Do you have a remote control option with yours? 

• RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I will look into the Hunter products. @RRP - have the plastic blades held up well over the years? Any sagging or warping of the blades? 
    Looks like new and is now at least 20 years old. No sagging or warping at all. The unit is all white and against a white ceiling. Being a screened porch open on 3 sides it gathers dirt but easy to clean.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    caliking said:

@Thatgrimguy - Big Ass Fans is one of the companies I'm considering (@RRP - they have a residential line of products MUCH smaller than their usual stuff :) ). I didn't know that they had Haiku fans rated for outdoors - I thought the Isis line was the outdoor one. I will do some more research and see. Do you have a remote control option with yours? 
    yes, but I only use the group controller because I have 3 of them up. The Haiku is much more manageable in size. Similar to typical fan sizes.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:

Cali, be careful with the Isis line. If you aren't paying attention one can take your head off.
  • caliking
    Options
     @Eggcelsior - that's a real possibility! I'm going to look into the outdoor Haiku options. Looks like I need a pair of 52" fans.

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Harbor Breeze ( Lowes) Still look good.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @tcampbell that's it. That's perfect. Do you by chance have any more pics???
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    Options
    I measured the patio and its about 8' x 16'. The existing fans seem to be 52". I'll see what the prices are like at Lowes vs. the Big Ass Fans Haiku. Thanks for the pic @tcampbell.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Options
    50+" 3 Hampton Bay OD remote controlled ceiling fans from Home Depot. 8 yrs later going strong on our lanai. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Man, you all have interesting problems - fans on the patio? Hell, we buy fire pits and those chimnia things. We do have a Hunter in the house, it seldom runs in summer but it is set to move the heat around in winter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Winter? What is that?  Must be a Yankee thing. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Winter? What is that?  Must be a Yankee thing. :lol: 
    Well in my case a United Empire Loyalist Queenie/King thing - the Yankees are in fact enemies to both of us...... =)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Skiddymarker I joke. I have lived in FL for over half of my life. Wanna get a Southerners Goat...put sugar on your grits :anguished:  Did this like 20yrs ago and the response was...You
    must be a Yankee from the waitress (server)...I politely said Yep we won that War :fearful: Never saw her again.  To be fair I hadn't heard of grits being from Nebraska until then so I thought of Cream of Wheat. Now I LOVE grits and eat em many ways and none involve sugar. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - all in good fun. I was lucky, first business trip to Atlanta had a local help me thru the right way to eat grits for breakfast. Can understand why many folks like them.  
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2015
    Options

I've had two of these for four years now and they have been no trouble at all. They have stayed balanced.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-54098-Bayview-Provencal-Fan/dp/B00ESVXWP2/ref=pd_sim_60_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0APKN0BQN2ZFP26AKHQR

A light can be added to them.

fan.jpg 321.8K
  • JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    Options
    If you're looking to a Big Ass Fan alternative, we just installed a 64" Minka-Aire Slipstream in the house (indoor/outdoor fan).  It is similar to the Big Ass Fans in appearance, cost about $500.  There's an 84" model as well if you're really living large.

JC 
    Atlanta, GA
  • Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63
    Options
    I just went through this process and ended up ordering a few fans from Dans Ceiling Fans. No shameless plug, just easy to pick what you want. It was delivered within 36 hours. No sales tax for me.

• caliking
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - kind of a first world problem :)

I didn't really think of other options besides Big Ass Fans and the standard Lowes/HD stuff so thanks for the info @JC5404L , @Captpablo , @jeroldharter , and @Hungry_Joe . There's an area in Houston where a bunch of lighting, etc stores are lined up and I think they might have some of the fans mentioned here. 

I'm considering installing 1 larger fan instead of two smaller fans. The seating area is directly under one of the fans currently, so if the new fan is centrally placed, I wonder if we'll get enough air. I'm guessing that the bigger fans are designed to move a lot of air, so maybe it will be okay. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Here are my Big Ass Fan Haiku. 

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    I have these installed in my office. They are indoor/out door. Industrial look. 72" fan from lamps plus.com. around 409 bucks 
    Brandon, MS
  • caliking
    Options

@Thatgrimguy - thanks for the pics. Do you like the lights? Its hard to find LED lights that are "warm" enough. I kinda wish that the Haiku had more finish options.

@loveTheEgg - do you remember the brand/manufacturer?

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    They are warm just like incandescent I think. I have so much ambient light out there I never use the fan lights unless I'm trying to light it up like an inside room. Tonight I'll take some pics and see if I can get anything that will give you and idea of the hue.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I looked on lampsplus and was amazed at the choices for wet or damp environments.  lots of 60" or larger fans, even one with a galvanized finish that would match the cattle panels we used in the railing. 

I need to get someone out to cover my deck - it has an open pergola on it now with not nearly enough shade, I really want to rip the 2x2s off and get a metal roof installed and then get a fan.  Damn forum.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Here you go @caliking
    Brandon, MS