Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty question

Options
mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
Are the dome, base, firebox, and fire ring really guaranteed for life?  If my base cracks, I get a new one? Same for all the other items listed.  And that's for life?  So the ceramics can crack or break numerous times?  I just want to understand the warranty. I have a friend considering a bge and he was asking me those questions. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes that's correct.  Ceramic is covered for a lifetime. Everything else on the egg has a limited lifetime warranty. Just make sure you buy the Big Green Egg from an authorized dealer
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks!  I definitely did. All they sell are bge, and weber products. I went back there looking for the smokeware cap. And the owner told me if its not a bge product they don't sell it. Something with bge's rules. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Check amazon for the cap
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @mjk412 ... those are not BGE's rules.  My dealer sells Smokeware products, and Innovations by Chance products.  Likewise, many Ace Hardware Stores sell non-BGE products that are used on the egg.  If you check, you'll find that it's that store's policy, not BGE's.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Firebox and fire ring are 3 or 5 years, or something like that. Base and dome are life. Explains the price, but definitely worth it.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @xiphoid007 ... it's a little longer than 3 to 5 years ...
    • Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    My plate setter developed a crack, three years is in two weeks, dealr handled everything for me and I now have a ConvEggtor - as much as I love the warranty, I hope I do not have to call my setter that awful name.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I stand corrected. Thanks @Jeepster47 ! Must have read that wrong somewhere.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @xiphoid007 ... no problem my friend

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty

What is the warranty on the cast iron cooking grid? Mine is cracked in a couple places. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    My platesetter has a broken leg. I've had my egg for only 6 months. I talked to one dealer and he told me there's nothing he can do. What say ye, @Jeepster47
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @bo_mull ... since the nest is an accessory, like the CI grill is, and shows up under "Metal Components", my guess is that it has a 5 year warranty.  But, that's only a guess.  Check with Bruce, who handles warranty issues:

Bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com

Please be kind enough to come back with what he says so the rest of us will know.  With a five year warranty in a CI gill, that might make me buy BGE versus another brand.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bo_mull said:

What is the warranty on the cast iron cooking grid? Mine is cracked in a couple places. 
      5 years if I'm not mistaking 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    My platesetter has a broken leg. I've had my egg for only 6 months. I talked to one dealer and he told me there's nothing he can do. What say ye, @Jeepster47
    @tisoypops ... it's what Bruce says ... give him a call or send him an e-mail with pictures and background.  Some dealers don't really know the rules, but Bruce does:

Bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com

That is unless you dropped it ... or your dog tipped it over.

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Thank you sir
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Update ... Bruces's e-mail address is:

Bruce@biggreenegg.com

He passed on that, under normal conditions, the cast iron cooking grate has a one year warranty.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Update ... Bruces's e-mail address is:

Bruce@biggreenegg.com

He passed on that, under normal conditions, the cast iron cooking grate has a one year warranty.
    unless you drop it, then all bets are off. :bawling:  My son just bought a replacement 1/2 CI grate after dropping it right on the point. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My CI grate is over a year old so warranty is out of the question, it's cracked but it still works. 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @bo_mull ... yep.  Unless you come up with a real sob story ... like it's only been used on a couple of major holidays.  It cracked the first time you used it and you thought it would heal itself over time ... shocked that it hasn't.