Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Clafoutis

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Never heard of clafoutis, but the pic on Serious Eats looked so good, I couldn't resist. I did not use the egg for this, but it would be easy enough... 50 minutes indirect at 350°. 

Desserts are tough for me because of my dietary restrictions. This one has some butter in it, but sodium level is good so I had to try. The crust wasn't crispy/flaky like a normal pie crust, unfortunately. Wasn't like a cake either. It tasted great though, just a little soft. I had some while it was still warm. Looking forward to trying it after it is room temp and then, I'll refrigerate and try it that way. A very simple recipe. I even made scratch whipped cream. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    OMG that looks sinfully good :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Holy Moly Micheal that looks awesome. Thanks for posting it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    WOW that looks great mmmmmmmmmmm
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.  I had seen the reference on Serious Eats, and book marked it to try.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, guys. It was pretty tasty. And you won't find a simpler recipe.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Salmonegg
    Salmonegg Posts: 79
    Options
    Zite turned up that SE post for me, too. There's another recipe in the Cooks Illustrated that just showed up yesterday. That one doesn't mention adding Kirschwasser, though, so it can't be as good. ;-)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great timing, cherries are just about ready....I think these are best warm, they settle a bit when cold. Don't think it is right but we always called them cherry flans, I think it is a flan type batter. Have bookmarked the recipe, thanks. 
    BTW - do you use a whipping syphon for the "scratch" whip cream? They are great. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That looks like deep dish cherry pizza.  I would like to try it with blueberries.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Skiddy, I've never heard of a whipping syphon so no, I didn't use one.  Sometimes I use a mixer, but for this, I just used a whisk. Doesn't take long.

Was still nice and whipped creamy this morning too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Man O man!  That looks fantastic. Love cherries. 
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This one looks better, :) Put together a bit differently, assorted fruits (frozen before adding). Shorter bake time too. Plus, the guy is French. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzUxirvCyw

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated did one of their make overs for this dish in this month's issue.  Seems to be the season for cherry clafouti.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.