Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First long cook- 3.5lb butt

Options
After a consultation with @WeberWho? I felt comfortable starting my first butt this morning. I covered it in Dizzy Dust last night and reapplied it this morning. I had a minor freak attack when I realized I didn't add the platesetter while it was heating up, but I appear to be in the clear. Everyone is so nice and generous with their knowledge to us newbies. I am holding steady at dome temp of 250* and internal temp of 147*. Updates later. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Looks good from here ...t
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dawnya00
    Dawnya00 Posts: 50
    Options
    If I want to add soaked, husked corn on the cob to the Egg, could I add that when I pull the butt? How long should I expect them to take? 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Nice nice nice
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Nice cook corn about 35 to 45 minutes 
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Looks great!!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looking good thus far. I normally do corn raised direct. However for convienace you can bump temp to 400 degrees when you are done cooking the butt. At 400 degrees indirect you are looking at about 35 minutes, give or take a little depending on if you want the corn real soft or with a touch of snap. Again, I prefer direct for corn but I have done it indirect on several occasions. Turns out just fine. If you go 400 indirect, about 25 minutes in start mashing the kernels with your thumb and do this every 5 minutes thereafter to test for done ness. When they feel to your liking, pull and enjoy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Husk on for this Husker. Soak em real good and then go raised indirect 350℉ or raised direct 275℉. We love it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dawnya00
    Dawnya00 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks all! So, some lessons learned. The stall can be a pain, but working through it is worth it. Got the husked corn on and it was perfect, done direct. Sadly no photos of that, the crew was hungry. More photos next time. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Nice - nothing better than that first smoked pork shoulder
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    as always, +1 @SGH
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Nice work!  It only gets easier 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Nice smoke ring!  Looks like you hit a home run on the first trip to the plate!  I remember my first Pork Butt on the Egg.  I was very nervous, but turns out to be a very forgiving piece of meat...and like you say WORTH the effort!  Good for you!
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Looks real good.  Had a bit of a chuckle when I saw the plate setter covered in foil.  IMO, it's gonna get dirty at some point.  Might as well let it happen :)

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    @jimithing wrapping the platesetter keeps the drippings from burning when coming in contact with the platesetter and giving off an acrid flavored smoke. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Elevated drip pan does, but a thin layer of foil couldn't possibly insulate that much, besides,it will burn when it runs off, won't it?
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A  lose wrap of foil used to work wonders for me. I haven't used it since buying my AR with drip pan, but it did work just fine. The grease and drippings pool up in the nooks and crannys of the wrapped foil. You are correct however, in that some will run off into the fire. Works much better than just letting the drippings burn up on the platesetter though, IMHO. Plus easier clean up.

Edit: sorry to hijack your thread @Dawnya00 your pork looks delicious! Fantastic job for your first stab at it. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice to get that first one under your belt!  Well done!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore