Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is your Egg on crack!

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Submitted these pics to a dealer for warranty replacement. Egg is 6 years old last February. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

Options
    I talked to another dealer to get this done as my original dealer is lame and a pain to deal with. 
    Member since 2009
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I new by the title of this thread it wasn't going to be good. Hope they replacements arrive soon.  You should be good until then.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You had a good run. I dred calling my dealer for my crack. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If they give you flak about the fire grates, I've got two I'll send you. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
    Options
    I bought the second fire grate. Thought maybe I could get a 3rd covered. Thanks for the offer @Jeremiah   Awful nice of you. It's been cracked for awhile now. The new base has rubber or plastic covers over the finger-cutter bottom vent. That's a nice upgrade. I'll still have the small handle. I wonder how if I'll need to order band bolts or if they will throw those in. 
    Member since 2009
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Rather than the original grate, go with the Hi Que grate. That won't be covered anyway, so go with the better product airflow is much better.

The firebox may not be covered either after 6 yrs, but the egg definitely will be.

I just noticed a crack in my firebox after just a year, and the mothership told me not to worry about it and to continue to use it. You can often get many years even with that crack. The base will likely need to be replaced.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    grege345 said:
    You had a good run. I dred calling my dealer for my crack. 
    I guess it's just the world you live in. Is their corner in a shady neighborhood? 
    Options
    I'm not letting the cracks slow me down. Tri-tip, pork chops, burgers over the weekend and lamb chops tomorrow night. It may hinder my low and slow game. Had trouble keeping it below 275* on the Tri-tip before the rear sear. 
    Member since 2009
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    All the ceramics have a lifetime warranty, if you are the original owner.  send the pics and a copy of the sales receipt to BGE if you can't get the dealer to replace them.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It sucks when that happens. I hope the dealer responds quickly and it is just a minor inconvenience.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    My firebox is cracked like that, just going to leave it till I get the energy to take care of it. obviously not causing an issue.  

XLBGE 
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    My base cracked and have to email my dealer pics. I did 2 l&s cooks with the cracks w/ no problem. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    My firebox is cracked all the way around at the air holes, plus in a few spots vertically... every cook I hear pops and weird noises that I think are the cracks expanding... no worries though, the dealer gave me the replacement over a year ago when they replaced my base due to a crack.

Hope you find a dealer that is willing to help you... the others that balk, f'em and never give them business again
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    My firebox and ring are broken. I've been trying to decide if I really care. So far the answer has been no. But I don't have a crack in the actual egg like that!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have replaced my fire box in my XL after it cracked last year only after about 6 months of use.  My plate setter has a crack in it and I just picked up it's replacement this last Saturday.  The PS is still usable and I will keep using it tell it cracks all the way.  The dealer said to just use some JB weld to fix it when it does and try and save the new one for when it breaks even more.  They said there is only a year warranty on the Plate setter, because it is taken in and out a lot.  Was going to get the AR/Woo2 combo to replace it, but just maybe the Woo2.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
    Options
    UPDATE: I went to a dealer to get a new base, firebox, and fire grate under warranty.  Two weeks later , he calls and says the distributor doesn't have any in stock, but offered a firebox and grate from his dealer stock.  I thanked him and said I'll wait for it all to come in.  I'm not pushing at this point because it's too darn hot to mess with it anyway, and it's still cooking fine with the cracks.  If this goes on another two weeks I'm gonna start ramping up my calls.

Another question; see new Eggs here, and the firebox has a large split in it.  Why?  Won't that pull a lot of air through and disrupt my even fire?  What's the benefit of a cracked firebox?  I'm trying to get one that isn't cracked.  If this is a better design, where should this new cracked in the box go?  Aligned with the intake?  Opposite the intake?
    Member since 2009
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    never heard discusion on the crack and air flow.. but i think the crack was made to allow the fire box to expand and shrink and keep it from crakcing

XLBGE 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have a newer XL. It has the large split. I have had no problem holding temp or cooking at 225 for long term. ( thus far  for 16 hours )
    FWIW, my firebox grate exploded into large pieces and small bits blasted my dome, chipping it. The force was so powerful of the shrapnel hitting the dome, it lifted the dome about an inch off the base, and fell back in place as normal. I was just sitting next to it waiting for it to hit temp, at 300 it exploded. One piece was imbedded in the top, and I removed it, but it left a chip and a crack. the other piece chipped the dome removing a small chunk. BGE replaced the grate and dome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    never heard discusion on the crack and air flow.. but i think the crack was made to allow the fire box to expand and shrink and keep it from crakcing
    That is correct, BUT it doesn't always do the trick as intended! This was like after the 3rd cook! I'l still using it though 5 years later! In fact 2 pieces are better than 1 as I've had no more cracks!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    RRP said:
    never heard discusion on the crack and air flow.. but i think the rcrack was made to allow the fire box to expand and shrink and keep it from crakcing
    That is correct, BUT it doesn't always do the trick as intended! This was like after the 3rd cook! I'l still using it though 5 years later! In fact 2 pieces are better than 1 as I've had no more cracks!

Mine did the same thing @RRP after a few months of use.  I was having issues trying to use it on low & slow cooks so I put my new one in.  I still have it and guess I could try and glue it back together with JB Weld to see if it works.  The new one is holding up great.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:
    never heard discusion on the crack and air flow.. but i think the rcrack was made to allow the fire box to expand and shrink and keep it from crakcing

Mine did the same thing @RRP after a few months of use.  I was having issues trying to use it on low & slow cooks so I put my new one in.  I still have it and guess I could try and glue it back together with JB Weld to see if it works.  The new one is holding up great.
    I tried JB Weld and it failed the first use! The temperature in the fire box far exceeds the range of JBW.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have a base on my Large BGE that I need to get replaced.
    So far all my past issues have been taken care of with zero problems.
    Local dealer, Dist in Dallas and BGE in Atlanta have all been great...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    This stuff looks like it would hold. 3200F rated. 
    http://www.aremco.com/ceramic-graphite-adhesives/
    Options
    Update: replacement base, firebox, and fire grate in. Base will have to wait for another day. 
    Member since 2009
    edited July 2015
    Options
    UPDATE: Installed the base last night. Had a heck of time getting it aligned. Had an underbite before and still do now. May try to adjust the bands again to get this underbite fixed.  The dollar bill test shows about a 12" gap in the front.  With the CenTex Smoker cap it's ready for action this weekend. 

Member since 2009
  • ChiliPepper
    Options

For what its worth, I've had great success fixing crack in the ceramic with MEECO's RED DEVIL 610 Refractory Cement. you can get it on Amazon for $20 and it is rated up to 3000F. I think it works a little better than JB Weld.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACIWN9Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01

Houston TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My BGE rep was out of stock of fire grates. I had to wait about a month for my warranty replacement grate. They shipped it right to my front door!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mdlrat
    Mdlrat Posts: 38
    Options
    My dealer is great, walked in with a cracked fire box and grate and walked out with replacements
    Options
    So today I do a high heat cook; (Ribeyes at 500*), and towards the end of the cook, the bands warp so bad that it pulls the dome back so far that there is a visible air gap in the front.  The bands are really screwed up.  Any suggestions?
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Have you tried your friends trick with the all thread?  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.