Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

king mackrel how to cook all ive heard is bad

Options
boy brought some home along with red snapper red snapper I can cook never had king how to prep cook?
Large egg panhandle of florida

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Calling @fusionhq
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Me personally. I'd steak it out and use a real lite blackening or herbal butter and go direct on CI at 375℉-400℉ and garnish with  lemon wedges and fresh herbs. Bon Appetit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Only time I ever cooked king was back in college, years ago after a fishing trip. They filleted it at the dock and was put on ice in a cooler. Got back to the place we were staying and just tightly double-wrapped each filet in foil with salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice (a little) and copious amounts of butter. I don't remember how long we cooked it but when we unwrapped it and and ate it for dinner it was really tasty!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options

@NPHuskerFl thanks im gonna try will let you know how it goes

@EggHead_Bubba im going to try all the combo tonight see if its good tough to go against red snapper but got to cook it all

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Question my friend. Did you bleed out the Mackerl while they was still alive? If you didn't, I'm forced to stand down and leave you in the hands of others. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• beachsmoke
    Options

@SGH the 21 year old boy my son said "we just threw into ice chest" deck hand did the clean so no Idea

• SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options

"we just threw into ice chest" 

With that said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm hoping someone else will offer something. They way that we do them they must be bled down while still alive or they turn out very, very strong. Just about unedible. Good luck and hope someone can help. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• beachsmoke
    Options
    @SGH thanks were gonna just try to soak in sprite  for hour then rinse put some seasoning butter lemon and find out hope you had good weekend.  I hear they are doing a smell egg fest here in destin at local dealer in September I will keep u posted
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I went on a deep sea fishing trip in Destin and came back with a cooler full of King mackerel.  The mate on the fishing boat said wrap it in foil with lemon and garlic and throw on the grill.  I didn't care much for it.  Had a really strong fish taste.  I prefer snapper or mahi mahi.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Definitely agree on @SGH bleed out and remove blood line. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    @SGH small but I'm sure it will smell good but always good excuse to come to San destin
  • SGH
    Options
    nth78 said:
      I didn't care much for it.  Had a really strong fish taste.  
    This is usually caused from not being bled down^^^^^^^^^^^^. If you don't bleed them, you can count on them being at a minimum very strong.  

Status- Standing by.

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Sorry I missed the call out. My recommendation is to find a good fish dip recipe and make smoked dip. It's really good, and simple. I would not cook and plate king mackerel any how any way...I may be spoiled, but it's not great table fare. 
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    @fusionhq I still have soaking in sprite what u think I have apple lump or hickory lump go at 200 smoke it for how long
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Stop everyone. King has a lot of oil in the meat and goes bad faster than most but I'd take king over most fish any day. There is no need to bleed them. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Do what fusion said. My dad is a pro and may weigh in shortly. 
  • SGH
    Options
    travisstrick said:
     My dad is a pro and may weigh in shortly. 

There is no need to bleed them. 
    I sure hope that he does. I have never had any luck with them if they weren't bled down. I would love to hear his method and technique. 

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Agree. Guess I'm here for amateur hour. I would've bled it out & removed the bloodline. Why wouldn't you @travisstrick ?  The dip sounds killer to me @fusionhq maybe atop quesadillas. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • buddyclaude
    buddyclaude Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with Travis,  King is great fresh.  It is deliscious raw as  sashimi, none better, best if done on the boat.  It has no fishy taste at all.  Back in the 1960's bc  (before condos) in Destin - kings were our favorite fish to catch.    We would steak them and grill them.  We would marinate them with Italian Salad dressing that comes in a packet.  These days I usually cook them on the grill with various seasonings and make fish dip.   Conventional wisdom is to prepare them with a tomato and wine sauce that cuts down on the oiliness. If not iced immediately and consumed quickly they are barely fit for crab bait.   
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL  going with smoke then we'll only the shadow knows this is what makes it fun
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Iced imeadatly and consumed quickly is the trick. Back when I worked at a marina, the dock hands and i would barder the fishermans kings. We would make king balls (I'll try to find a youtube on how to do it), boil them in water and dip in dwran butter. Tastes like lobster if  you ask me. 

Like this guy does but stop before cutting through the back bone. Once you have the slits cut, pop each slice of meat out with your fingers. Each slice will give you two balls. 

http://youtu.be/5lIgx1IX9EY
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    @SGH @NPHuskerFL @buddyclaude I smoked and turned out good after 1 hour in sprite and rubbed up with tsunami spin apple chips and I liked it the kid thought it was awesome thanks to all for help
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    No strong fish flavor at all Mrs smoke said it was great
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Interesting thread.  I've never had cooked mackerel, only as sushi (once!).  It tasted okay as I ate it but the aftertaste lasted three days (I'm not exaggerating) and I could never eat it again.   Blech!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• beachsmoke
    Options
    @Botch I was expecting the worst and I tell you no strong fishy flavor at all I would eat again for sure 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    @Botch I was expecting the worst and I tell you no strong fishy flavor at all I would eat again for sure 
    Perhaps I got some bad fish; maybe I'll try it once more.  Maybe.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    King mackrel is the favorite fish in the Indian community here .. we make curries, deep fry them after coating them with blackening seasoning. I have grilled them with bayou seasoning and it has come out great. No need to bleed them .. I guess we like the strong fishy taste.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    @beachsmoke, do you live in destin? I'm coming down there soon. If so, can you give any recommendations for resturants, seafood of course. Thanks
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    @GaBGE yes I live in San destin email me and I can help you out where u staying