Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken BBQ Guru Probes Again

Options
Hitting high grilling time and once again, I've lost a Guru probe, this time a food probe. I usually buy two food and two pit probes a year and feel lucky if I've made it through the year with at least one of each functioning. These suckers are expensive! I'm about to lay out $75 for new probes, a bit of a tax on my BBQ.    

Anybody have any tips for how to keep their probes functioning? Or even on how to repair them or make DIY versions?  

If it matters, I never wash my probes. 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've had mine for about 5 years, still using original probes. I don't use the Guru all that often, but I've never heard of anyone going thru as many as you have! If I had to do that, I would have stopped throwing good money after bad long ago!

Are you shielding the probes/wires from direct heat? I use a platesetter and always run the wires over one of the PS legs so they are not directly exposed to the burning lump.

Have you discussed this with the BBQGuru folks? 

There is a probe-less alternative that has recently been discussed here. Very low tech; non-electronic, no LED display, no alarm, no ramp, no lots of things, but it's only $30!! Controls the pit temp only. Might be worth a try. Here are some comments... http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=ttt

Link to product... http://tiptoptemp.com

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm still using my original Teflon coated Guru cables which are significantly smaller than the replacements they now sell. I have a new set as a back up, but have never used them. I have to ask how are you damaging them? Just being too rough with them maybe? You say you never wash them then my guess is the fine mesh wire jackets are getting filled with grease and creosote and get stiff leading to breakage - right? Why not start wiping down your new cables - at least I would.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smoghat
    smoghat Posts: 10
    Options
    The reason I mentioned that I don't wash them is that water is apparently their enemy. RRP, those look completely different from the ones they use now. The ends are 1/8" mini jacks these days. 

I've tried talking with them. Didn't get that much out of them except that it seems like its not that unusual. 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    GURU USER PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Always inspect your food probe BEFORE and AFTER use.

The tiny, sharp, tip of the food probe on mine dislodged from it's metal shaft.

That would NOT be a good thing for someone to consume.
    Gittin' there...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    GURU USER PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Always inspect your food probe BEFORE and AFTER use.

The tiny, sharp, tip of the food probe on mine dislodged from it's metal shaft.

That would NOT be a good thing for someone to consume.
    Huh? My food probe seems to be one long piece. It's pointed, but it doesn't have a separate tip.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    smoghat said:
    The reason I mentioned that I don't wash them is that water is apparently their enemy. RRP, those look completely different from the ones they use now. The ends are 1/8" mini jacks these days. 

I've tried talking with them. Didn't get that much out of them except that it seems like its not that unusual. 
    Yes, water on the cable is not a good thing, I do clean my meat probe with hot water and SOS pad, but I am very careful to avoid the braided shield from getting wet.  Too much heat (>400) is not good for the cables, nor is excessive bending.  How do you store your cables when not using them?  What temperatures are you using your Guru for?  I never ever kink my cables, and I only make loose loops with them for storage.  Never pull on the cable to remove it from the controller or the meat.  always pull on the plug to remove from the controller, and pull on the probe to remove it from the meat.  And do not wind the cables around something like the controller for storage, that would be too tight of a bend.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Wow, Fearless, I'll bet that was tasty! Hope you didn't actually swallow that, or chip a tooth! I still can't detect a separate tip on mine. Maybe they changed the design?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Something is not right.  I've never replaced a cable on either my Maverick ET-73 (12 years old) or my BBQ Guru (5 years old).  I only use them for "low & slow" cooks and I've never even used aluminum foil to shield them.  That's really unusual.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Wow, Fearless, I'll bet that was tasty! Hope you didn't actually swallow that, or chip a tooth! I still can't detect a separate tip on mine. Maybe they changed the design?
    Perhaps they changed it, but the replacement probe I purchased looks identical to the original.

This is just my opinion, but I suspect it is produced using a pointed stainless tip that is laser welded to the tube, then polished smooth. Maybe lack of sufficient weld penetration resulted in failure?

Once again, please inspect the food probe my friends.
    Gittin' there...
  • smoghat
    smoghat Posts: 10
    Options
    Sounds like there's been a change of design and the folks with the earlier probes got lucky … 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    smoghat said:
    Sounds like there's been a change of design and the folks with the earlier probes got lucky … 
    Could be. I still like my OLD Teflon coated ones and I take good care of them, but the very reason I have the "huge" replacements is I like and trust my old Guru and couldn't care less about having a smart unit that I could control via a smart phone.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    My unit was purchased late last year from Firecraft (high turn over) and doesn't have any of the grooves that Fearless is showing on his. 

Thanks for the warning though, I'll keep an eye on all of my probes now.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My food probe broke several years ago. Never replaced it just use it for egg control anyway. These temp controllers are useless POS as far as I am concerned. I am gonna sell my cyberq pretty soon.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Never had a problem with my probes either. However, I do have them covered in foil to help with direct heat since I don't have a PS to sheild them with one of the legs.