Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper vs Foil vs No Wrap. You be the judge.

Options

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Loved the video.  :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Thanks @GrannyX4    I'm going to wrap in paper around there....based on bark appearance.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    @cazzy... I was of the opinion Franklin only wrapped when the color was right and if it had enough smoke based on his Youtube video comments. Personally, I have never wrapped brisket during my BGE cooks. I used to wrap ribs for 2 and then 1 hour but now I do those unwrapped as well and will never look back. I tend to agree with @SGH that Franklin does this at his restaurant as part of the normal procedure to can consistency when cooking such volume.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Can't wait to watch. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    @SGH very cool piece, thanks for posting.  I'm actually trying my first brisket wrapped in paper now.  I'll be wrapping it around 6 am or so.  I could only find white butcher paper so that's what I'm using.  I don't think the color should make much difference if any at all.  
    My pleasure. The color of the paper makes no difference at all. Hope that your brisket is a home run my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    A few have mentioned paper weight.
    This brings me to a question: Regular foil, or heavy duty foil?
    Just stirring the pot!!  B)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • SGH
    Options
    Durangler said:
    A few have mentioned paper weight.
    This brings me to a question: Regular foil, or heavy duty foil?
    Just stirring the pot!!  B)
    Interesting fact, HD foil and 40# weight paper is real close to same thickness. Makes one ponder does it not? 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So far I have enjoyed better results overall with choice than prime.

Prime is a bit TOO fatty for my tastes. I wrap, and never have a problem with tenderness with either...once I decided to cook to 205 in the flat consistently. Also prime is more expensive per pound and generally has more trimming waste.

That being said, Costco in Cedar Park, TX. had nothing but prime packers to choose from so i trimmed the crap out of the one I currently have resting. I broke Aaron's first rule and changed about 3 different factors in my evolving process, but I don't expect that they overlap enough to muddy the feedback entirely.

We shall soon see.
    Gittin' there...
  • SGH
    Options
    So far I have enjoyed better results overall with choice than prime.

Prime is a bit TOO fatty for my tastes. 
    With a very few words, you spoke volumes above. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. A lot of folks can't fathom that there are people who do not favor what they themselves do. For the record, I do favor Waygu Gold by a wide margin over anything else. Just my preference. But I have ate some great choice and select briskets in my time. This is just my opinion but I think cooking select grade brisket is the ultimate test of a pitmasters skills. It's much harder to pull off than the higher grades. 

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Cool video.  I noted the butcher at Kreutz was using a SGH-style cimitar blade.  

I've always gone nekkid, will have to try the paper on the next brisket.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
      I noted the butcher at Kreutz was using a SGH-style cimitar blade
    Good eye my friend ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I spotted it too. 

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @cazzy... I was of the opinion Franklin only wrapped when the color was right and if it had enough smoke based on his Youtube video comments. Personally, I have never wrapped brisket during my BGE cooks. I used to wrap ribs for 2 and then 1 hour but now I do those unwrapped as well and will never look back. I tend to agree with @SGH that Franklin does this at his restaurant as part of the normal procedure to can consistency when cooking such volume.
    I honestly think wrapping on the BGE isn't really needed because of our cooking environment.  A lot of moisture in the air and no draft so it definitely is a friendlier environment.

I highly doubt Franklin ever barbecues at home and pretty much always cooks in volume.  He prefers sushi and barbecue will never be a lunch or dinner choice for he and Stacy in their personal lives.  This is something that just comes with running a joint.  You love making it but hate eating it.  With that said...he always wraps.  :tongue: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I honestly think wrapping on the BGE isn't really needed because of our cooking environment.  A lot of moisture in the air and no draft so it definitely is a friendlier environment.

I highly doubt Franklin ever barbecues at home and pretty much always cooks in volume.  He prefers sushi and barbecue will never be a lunch or dinner choice for he and Stacy in their personal lives.  This is something that just comes with running a joint.  You love making it but hate eating it.  With that said...he always wraps.  :tongue: 
    Totally understand that. When I worked in an egg (the white kind) processing plant during high school, I could no longer eat eggs.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks SGH, great info for when I get off my dead ass and do my first brisket. Is it a prob to use the white paper. Most of it appears to have a treatment on the inside
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am really happy with the result on this one.

Went with an aggressively trimmed prime packer. Also lightly scarified the red surface with a fork to promote rub adhesion and bark formation.

The fleshy end of the point was fully exposed and blackened. Cutting into it was like opening some large, chocolate covered bing cherry...only with moist juicy meat inside.

Still, I'm gonna be in a fat-induced coma for the next couple hours, but I suppose it was worth it.

Disclaimer: I used a Reynolds turkey oven bag instead of foil.
    Gittin' there...
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Question.  So at the end of a cook and you want to FTC because dinner is a few hours away... use paper instead of foil?  or still use foil in that case?  Will either of these have the negative effect of softening up the bark?  Also, not done until it probes like buttah, right?  What temp is it that you start watching for that? Thanks
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    Question.  So at the end of a cook and you want to FTC because dinner is a few hours away... use paper instead of foil?  or still use foil in that case?  Will either of these have the negative effect of softening up the bark?  Also, not done until it probes like buttah, right?  What temp is it that you start watching for that? Thanks
    Either are fine.  Both will slightly soften your bark which is fine.  Start probing at 195.  You're looking for very little resistance in the thickest part of the flat.

Does your oven have a warm feature?  140-170?  I have had great results with that wrapped in butcher paper.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blasting
    Options
    thanks cazzy.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    FTC is a general moniker. However, yes you can use paper in place of the foil for holding purposes. I haven't used foil for quite sometime. I guess we should start using the new moniker PTC (Paper, Towel, Cooler) instead. As to probing, you will get a million suggestions on this. However I will over this. When cooking Waygu or Waygu Gold Grade, I suggest that you start probing in he 180 degree arena. I did a monster several weeks back that was spot on in the high 180's. Waygu, Akaushi and Waygu Gold at a much lower temp than choice and select. I haven't  fooled with Prime enough to say much on the subject. With that said, my hunch is that it's done at a higher temp than Waygu but at a lower temp than choice and select. Kind of middle of the road if you will. For choice and select I have always started checking around 190. This seems to be ideal as I have never seen one be overdone at that low of a temp. Usually they have to go considerably higher so 190 is a good starting point to probe. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @blasting- About the only time that wrapping AFTER the cook causes issues is when you use foil and LOTS of liquids. Under these circumstances, yes the liquid can and will affect the bark. However if you have minimal liquid, the bark will be unaffected by the foil wrap after the cook. Bark softening is not a issue with paper that I have encountered.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    logchief said:
    Thanks SGH, great info for when I get off my dead ass and do my first brisket. Is it a prob to use the white paper. Most of it appears to have a treatment on the inside
    As long as its uncoated, the color of the paper is insignificant. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options

DMW said:
    When I worked in an egg (the white kind) processing plant during high school, I could no longer eat eggs.
    I can relate to this all to well. 38 years ago I worked in a pickle processing plant. Seeing the hundreds of dead rats that got drowned being scooped out of the pickle silos every morning really made me shy away from pickles for a while. What is sad is, pickles are one of my favorites. Still to this day, when I open a pickle jar, that memory comes back sometimes. 

Status- Standing by.

• blasting
    Options
    Thanks SGH.  Cooking brisket reminds me of NASCAR.  Looks ridiculously simple on the surface, but the devil is in the smallest of details.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I honestly think wrapping on the BGE isn't really needed because of our cooking environment.  
    There is a significant amount of truth in the above. 

Status- Standing by.

• Tettletime
    Tettletime Posts: 52
    Options
    @SGH I've been a pretty religious reader of the forum for about 6 months now, if a little shy about posting many things myself, since I got my LBGE. I gotta say, you-along with a few others-consistently post some of the most helpful threads here. This one is a great example. You could have just watched the video and learned a thing or two personally, but you thought enough of the people on here to link it. I thank you, good sir, for all you've done to help me with my egging. I was a fairly experienced bbq cook on an old offset, but I became a far better pitmaster with the egg and your help.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Before this post I never considered butcher paper as a wrap option,  If you use this method on a BGE it's obviously different with heat coming from the bottom vs the side as in the video (thanks for sharing, by the way).  Obviously you would use indirect heat, but is there any danger of the paper catching on fire?  Is there a certain temp to keep it below if you use paper? 
  • SGH
    Options
    @Tettletime- My pleasure sir. I have always tried to help in whatever way that I could. I gladly and freely share anything that I know or that I find. There is a old passage that I honestly try to follow to the best of my ability. It simply says: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. To me, it just always seemed like sound advice my friend. 

@Sookie- Sister most all uncoated butcher style paper is good to at least 400 degrees. Some even higher. With that said, you will always be safe up to at least 400 degrees. If you use 40# weight uncoated paper, it's good right up to the 500 degree arena. It's not often that any of us cook brisket that hot. However for the record, myself, Nolaegghead and Cen-Tex did cook the final 6 briskets at last years brisket camp at a honest 440 degrees from take off to touchdown on Unit #1. However we chose not to wrap. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    blasting said:
    Either are fine.  Both will slightly soften your bark which is fine.  Start probing at 195.  You're looking for very little resistance in the thickest part of the flat.

Does your oven have a warm feature?  140-170?  I have had great results with that wrapped in butcher paper.
    I do this same thing. I never wrapped while cooking until very recently but I do like the bark a little better when I do. I do like to rest in butcher paper in a cooler or in the over/warmer and I rest for as long as I possibly can. up to 12 hrs sometimes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I tried to find a packer today. No dice. You texans are lucky. I have never wrapped my briskets but will give a try.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @Chubbs  - I got mine from Ole Timey on Rosewood.  I used to get most of my meat from Steak Mart on Rosewood until Robbie closed up shop and when into his mission work full time.    Anyway, not impressed with Ole Timey for $5.99 #.   Both of my briskets were stiff and tight.  Still tasted good though.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat