Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Paper vs Foil vs No Wrap. You be the judge.

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Google is a beautiful thing. 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    @SGH thanks for post I've used both prefer paper.  Glad you made it back red snapper opened today my son went out killed it
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Smokehouse33 said:@SGH Thank you soooo much for posting that video! I heard that he had a new show on PBS and I was so excited to watch the first episode. I'm a rookie with brisket as well...he just makes it feel like anybody can do it with some love and patience...also this forum is so user friendly that you guys actually interact with us newbies that it makes it that much easier! I have my first whole packer sitting at home, I can't wait to get it on the egg! Sorry for the long post...I'm on vacation in Playa del Carmen Mexico enjoining a nice Cuban cigar with a glass of scotch reading the forum. Life is good!
    My pleasure brother. I'm glad to share anything that I find or know. Unfortunately I don't know very much so I'm forced to share what I find. Brother enjoy yourself down there. Looks like a heck of a good time. Haven't been down that way since 2007. But I sure have some fond memories of it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Google is a beautiful thing. 
    You cheated brother yolk!!!! 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    All I wanted to do was quote a great 70s sitcom, then you called me out so I had to do research. Now I'm smarter than I was 20 min ago, so thank you. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    @SGH Thank you soooo much for posting that video! I heard that he had a new show on PBS and I was so excited to watch the first episode. I'm a rookie with brisket as well...he just makes it feel like anybody can do it with some love and patience...also this forum is so user friendly that you guys actually interact with us newbies that it makes it that much easier! I have my first whole packer sitting at home, I can't wait to get it on the egg! Sorry for the long post...I'm on vacation in Playa del Carmen Mexico enjoining a nice Cuban cigar with a glass of scotch reading the forum. Life is good!
    Playa Del Carmen is great I stay there 2 to 3 months a year, where are you staying at?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    Options
    All I wanted to do was quote a great 70s sitcom, then you called me out so I had to do research. Now I'm smarter than I was 20 min ago, so thank you. 
    No my friend, wasn't calling you out at all. I thought you really knew when said mr cotter, mr cotter. And that's a great throw back, Welcome Back Kotter was a great show. Sadly most of the cast is dead now short of Travolta.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Grillmagic said:
    Playa Del Carmen is great I stay there 2 to 3 months a year
    Man it must be nice to get to do that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Didn't mean calling out in a negative way. It's all good my friend. I can't even spell kotter.  =)
  • Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    Options
    My old man bought an apt about 25 years ago in Puerto Aventuras! It's about 15 mins south of Playa. It's paradise....that picture is from my patio! I wish I could come down more often! I was telling my girl that I should get a egg for my apt. I have a little webber which works...but if I could add a egg to this it would be PERFECT!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We were in Puerto Aventuras last summer at Dreams. Love that area! Actually saw @grillmagic there. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Man it must be nice staying in resorts and touring around vacationing. Yall must all be democrats  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    SGH said:
    Man it must be nice staying in resorts and touring around vacationing. Yall must all be democrats  ;)
    @Grillmagic gets paid to do it!  How cool is that!?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get to answer sooner. I was watching the video on TV. Good show. Thanks for sharing @SGH
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @SGH, thanks for posting the PBS tip about the zip code setting on Apple TV. Had no clue I could do that. Might be a dumb question, but is butcher paper all the same or is there a particular butcher paper everybody uses?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @SGH, thanks for posting the PBS tip about the zip code setting on Apple TV. Had no clue I could do that. Might be a dumb question, but is butcher paper all the same or is there a particular butcher paper everybody uses?
    Color doesnt matter but there is some paper with a wax coating and you don't want that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stemc33
    Options
    Thanks @cazzy
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    You are welcome my friend. If my old eyes are not deceiving me, every time I see Aaron wrap on a video it's with 40# weight paper. As long as its un coated and the appropriate weight, color or brand is insignificant. Cazzy and Brother Tex have actually seen the paper he uses in person. I have not.  With that said, they may can correct me if I'm wrong about the weight but that is sure what I see him use on TV. In his restaraunt he may use a different weigh however. If anyone knows, please feel free to share.  

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    Options
    Just when I think things are simple such as Paper, Foil, or naked, @SGH throws another variable in the mix talking about paper weight. My goodness.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Just when I think things are simple such as Paper, Foil, or naked, @SGH throws another variable in the mix talking about paper weight. My goodness.  
    It's simple...this is the exact paper he uses:

http://eccos2.ubsys.com/abco2/catalogdetail.asp?id=OII-BPK18-10&formname=browse
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    It's actually one of the more common weights. You can find it just about anywhere. 

Status- Standing by.

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    @SGH very cool piece, thanks for posting.  I'm actually trying my first brisket wrapped in paper now.  I'll be wrapping it around 6 am or so.  I could only find white butcher paper so that's what I'm using.  I don't think the color should make much difference if any at all.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    In the video he states to wrap it when the bark looks good....anyone have a temp range on the best time to wrap?   150s or in the stall?  Just pulled off a brisket this morning, naked ( the brisket, not me) and throwing on another within the hour.  Thought I might wrap the second one for something different.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    @SGH very cool piece, thanks for posting.  I'm actually trying my first brisket wrapped in paper now.  I'll be wrapping it around 6 am or so.  I could only find white butcher paper so that's what I'm using.  I don't think the color should make much difference if any at all.  
    Color has no bearing. I read that on the paper manufacturer's website. 
  • 4Runner
    Options
    The 24" roll costs $44 plus shipping.  That is about what I paid for white paper on Amazon.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    One note to the video, he was using prime beef.  Most of us out in the real world get choice or select briskets.  I wonder what the results would be with select grade, maybe little harder to hit the pull test sweet spot and a drier flat.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Paper rocks. I made my best chucky ever yesterday. Did it at 300-325 range the whole time and wrapped in paper around 165 when I pulled the ribs off. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link.  I really liked his talk with Rick Schmidt at Kreuz.  When their clod on point it beats the brisket hands down IMHO
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Nice looking ribs and roast.  

Any opinions on what temp to wrap at for a brisket?
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    @4runner   We foiled ours at 160 and after it had a nice bark.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !