Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Experiences taken for granted?

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
I'm sure we all have them. This weekend I can't stop thinking of my 6 years working in the local mom and pop Ace Hardware. I was a cocky 16 year old kid when hired by "Tibbs". There was also "Tucker", and "Mr. Wiggins" the owner. At first I thought they were just old and crusty hardware guys. But I learned that two were WWII vets and one a Korean War Vet. Not only did I learn millions of dollars worth of hardware and handy secrets,  things that nearly 30 years later still save me tons of money, but I also learned a lot in general from these great guys. One drank too much and they all smoked too much, but sitting on a stool in the back if that store before we opened drinking coffee listening to war stories, literally, is something I'll never forget. They treated me like a friend, not that cocky teenager I was. They are all gone now, the store sold to new owners, and I realize now I should have listened more and realized the treasure these men were. RIP Tibbs Tucker and Mr. Wiggins. 
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    The time I spent with my grandfather. He was born in 1910 and was a retired farmer. He had a wife and 4 small kids during the depression. I loved spending time with him. He had seen so much change in his life. He literally went from riding in a horse and buggy to flying in a plane! 

He died in 1994, and I would give anything if my son could have known him. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Awesome story. 

I have one and one that I think about all the time, daily in fact. 

I was 15 yrs old and got a job at the near by fish camp. The current owner wasn't hitting on much, and within 6 months, he sold to another guy. That guy ,little to know, was a mentor to me. Taught me a lot about the back end of a restaurant. He was a Greek guy and always called me his Greek boy and that I was 75% Greek. He treated me like his own and I felt I worked hard for him. 

When I was nearing graduation of college ,I told him a big company offered me a job and I wanted to pursue this opportunity. At that time I was ready for something different. I'd worked 6 days a week from 15 to 21. I was ready to have weekends off. Or I thought I did. 

Evans was his American name to me. He actually counter offered on the big company that offered me a job and guaranteed that in 5 yrs I'd have my own restaurant with the help of him backing me.  I told him I wanted to go and he let me. 

I still helped him for a while afterwards and finally stopped after I moved away. I still visited and eventually moved back to the area. 

Three years ago, Evans passed away at a young 51 yrs old. I've always thought if the restaurant biz was my thing and missed it from time to time. I didn't learn everything from this man that I needed to or wanted to really and in some felt I let him down. He did say in one of our many conversations that I did the right thing. I'm able to spend time with my family and now with my little girl that helps instead of spending time at the restaurant. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I've lost count of the number of times I have discovered a truth in life and/or outdoor cooking - only to think about it and realize it is something that either my father or my grandfather taught me 20+ years earlier.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My FIL (rest his soul) was in WWII, fought at Iwo Jima, and in Korea.  He was also an electrical engineer for Bell South and the commander of the Marine reserves for several states.  He never would talk about the wars, I guess that was his way of dealing with them.  But he sure liked fire.  Built the biggest fireplace I've ever seen in a house.  He'd collect 10 cords of wood in the summer and burn all of it come fall and winter.  3' logs.   He was 6'5" and had the standard marine buzz his whole life.  Fell over dead one morning putting wood in the fireplace.  We sure miss him.  RIP "Bogie".
    Options
    My mentor was George, a recently retired AF Lt Cl. He was both smart and wise. I was already a 25 year old college grad and was starting a new career in banking as their internal auditor, a position which George held at the time.  The lesson he taught me was to move up the corporate ladder you had to bring someone up behind you to fill your shoes. During the next 6 years I was always grooming someone to take over my positions, while George was grooming me to take over his positions. By then he was already 60 and had become the 3rd ranking person as the Senior VP and Cashier of the bank. I suppose I could have stayed on, but our president had left to go with a bank 8 times larger and he hired me to join him shortly thereafter. This need to groom stuck with me and the people I moved with me the rest of my working career.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.