Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time with a Brisket....HELP

Options
Mexirican
Mexirican Posts: 19
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
So I have a BGE small and a 5 pound brisket    And for Memorial Day I want to cook a brisket.  How long should I smoke it for. Help !!!!!any advice is appreciated.  

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Smoke it until it's done...  It should feel like butter when you probe it.  Cook time is dependent on variables you didn't provide, what temp are you cooking it?  Most go 225 - 275 degrees, in that range you're looking at 1.5 - 1.25 hrs/pound usually.  There's a lot of Brisket cooking tips and techniques here to check out.  I'd say set it up for 250 degrees, put a temp probe in it to monitor temp and let her roll until you get to 195 -200 IT and start probing it for that buttery feel.  When you have that she's done and ready to rest for slicing.  Obviously rub it with your rub of choice, many options there.  5 pounder is probably a minimum of an 8 hour cook so give yourself extra if you have a deadline to hit.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Mexirican
    Mexirican Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you a few videos i watched said 17 hours so i panicked , i was thinking 250 temp should i load it with charcoal ?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Dude, you can't put too much lump in there. As long as you can get your indirect piece in. You can always use it later. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited May 2015
    Options
    At 5 pounds you probably just have a flat (vs a whole packer that can run up to 18 pounds or so). 

I've heard this technique works very well for flats as they are hard to keep moist. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX