Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butts...Start Early and go really slow or Start Later and go a little hotter?

Options
Just looking for advice on best approach.  I am having ~30 people over on Sunday for a picnic and was going to do some pork butts.  This isn't my first time on a BGE but the first time on my own BGE.  I bought 2 packs (2 each) from Costco and thinking of doing just 3 of them and freezing the 4th.

Timing is going to be tough for me.  I would like these to be served around 5-6pm on Sunday.  Saturday night I am unavailable from 7pm to about 1am and there is no way around it (last minute thing that came up).  I can either try to put them on and get them stabilized before I leave at 7pm (225-250F) or I can put them on after I get home at 2am and maybe target 275-300F.  I know if I wait until I get home there is some risk of them not being done in time.

What are your thoughts?  Better to start them early and just FTC them if they finish early Saturday?  If I go that way I may be really early and not sure I can keep them above 140F.

Is it possible to cook them too long (going low/slow)?  Advice and wisdom appreciated.

Chad
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    How much does each butt weigh? I wouldn't FTC over about 6 hours. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd start at 2am as long as you don't think you well be too tired or otherwise incapacitated to get things going at that time. I'd go no lower then 250° and look to possibly bump up the temp starting around 10 am depending on if you are in the stall yet or not.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    I prefer starting early and going slow--I did a couple for a horseshoe tourney last weekend 225 for 13 hours- set my oven @ 195 put the wrapped butts in there for 3 hours while I played- came out perfect- I have found the oven is your friend for perfect warming--I only use a cooler if traveling
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    I haven't opened them yet to see how big/small each one is in the pack but they're totaling 13.5 and 14.5 pounds each.  I'll freeze the smallest of them all and cook the rest.

John...totally agree about 6hrs.  Hence my trepidation.

Scott...sounds logical...thanks.  I'll have to try hard but I think I can keep myself from being 'incapacitated'.  At least enough to get things started.  In all seriousness this is gonna be the way I go.

North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You can always turbo those bad boys. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Wow- what a title for a post! Only forum that everyone who sees it knows you are putting something on a grill !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Options
    I use the Digiq for overnight (13 to 14 hour) butts. However, I've had lots of success with Turbo cooks. For your situation I would agree with johnkitchens.