Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Condensation in thermometer face

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Both my eggs have condensation inside the face of the thermometer.  Is this to be expected?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My original non Tel-Tru did that. Normal. I replaced them with TTs and they have not. The one on my mini never will because I dropped it and broke the glass. Works fine and guaranteed no condensation. So far the one on my large is fine. Some folks have drilled a tiny hole in the back to let moisture escape.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My large has it. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Jamie,
    its unusual for it to happen to a TT but it still can. I have had 4 of them for 10 years and only one has had that issue. It seems to go away after a while and actually that makes some sense. I mean there was a leak somewhere to let moisture in so why can't it also escape?! I have read where some people speed that along by placing the unit in the oven for a while. For me it isn't a bother as I know it will go away eventually. OTOH can you actually see water in there or is it just a foggy glass? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Mine too. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I think the egg thermos are TT?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     Is this to be expected?
    It is usually a sign that there is no longer a air tight seal between the face and the body.  The thermometer will still work perfectly fine. However if you want to remove the condensation, you can simply throw the thermometer in your oven or indirect in your egg at 200 degrees if it has a plexiglass face or higher if it has a tempered glass face. However I find that 200 works just fine on either kind. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    Mine too. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I think the egg thermos are TT?
    Yes they now are TT, but that's only been for the last few years. They used to have real crappy ones with soft plastic lens. This is the truth. One of mine had the usual water in it and I was doing a high temp cook. I guess the water turned to steam and suddenly I heard a POP as that lens shot 10 feet!
  • SGH
    Options
    Usually about a hour will do it at 200 degrees^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SGH said:
     Is this to be expected?
    It is usually a sign that there is no longer a air tight seal between the face and the body.  The thermometer will still work perfectly fine. However if you want to remove the condensation, you can simply throw the thermometer in your oven or indirect in your egg at 200 degrees if it has a plexiglass face or higher if it has a tempered glass face. However I find that 200 works just fine on either kind. 
    Or place in a sealed container of rice.
    FWIW the condensation that was in mine is now it's gone and hasn't come back and I did nothing. High summer humidity here too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - I have never tried the rice trick. But I will now. Thanks for sharing brother Husker. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    One of mine is the same way. It's been getting better as it hasn't rained in like four years here now. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My new large format BGE TT ended up with condensation the first time I used it.  It got caught in a heavy FL afternoon rain storm.  Couple of weeks in a bag with white rice cleared it right up.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just drill a small hole in it on the side.
  • PlanoPokes79
    PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
    Options
    What Lit said. Drill a hole in all of mine. Never had a problem since.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH Just like with a cell phone the rice draws out the moisture.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Jamie,
    its unusual for it to happen to a TT but it still can. I have had 4 of them for 10 years and only one has had that issue. It seems to go away after a while and actually that makes some sense. I mean there was a leak somewhere to let moisture in so why can't it also escape?! I have read where some people speed that along by placing the unit in the oven for a while. For me it isn't a bother as I know it will go away eventually. OTOH can you actually see water in there or is it just a foggy glass? 
    Here are 3 of the older styles that I mentioned: The worst were from right to left. Even in an ambient temperature do you notice the different readings? Even after calibrating them? LOL?

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    @SGH Just like with a cell phone the rice draws out the moisture.

If you use rice, the instant kind works better. Cat litter or oatmeal works better than any rice though. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Put in a vacuum dessicator and pump down to 1 KPa.  
    Options
    Agree. Rice in baggie. Thermometer in baggie. Wait for a day or so, 

Worked for my Macbook Air too when the mutt knocked over ice water with his tail all over the keyboard.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Both of mine have it, but not all the time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I will not worry about it.  Maybe 200 in my oven for a  it like @SGH said , maybe drill a hole like @Lit and @Carolina Q howed, or rice like @NPHuskerFL said.  Or move somewhere drier like @Jeremiah did.  Or I'll just get a bunch more eggs like @RRP .

I would really like a new smokeware one, but not sure when they will be released.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are gonna replace it get the new 3" thermometer for the XL 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Lit said:
    If you are gonna replace it get the new 3" thermometer for the XL 
    Love that thing!  Want one for both of mine. Total badass Tel-Tru. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JonWesson
    Options
    bump
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    😳