Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Weekend!! What's on the menu?

Options
Just curious to hear what everyone is cooking over the weekend. I would love to hear all about the amazing food you guys and gals are going to do on the egg.

So far I am thinking:

Saturday
-Slow and low pork butt, pickled veggies, smoked jalapeno and bacon mac 'n cheese, coleslaw and strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert (maybe on the egg??)

Sunday
-Smoked oysters, grilled shrimp, smoked salmon with grilled veggies and rice pilaf

Monday
-Couple of pizzas on the BGE with leftovers from the other weekend cooks

LBGE

Marblehead, MA

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My weekend of grilling is starting tonight:

Weds: Chicken and Steak Kabobs
    Thur:  Burgers and Dogs
    Fri: Salmon Filets
    Sat: Brisket
    Sun: Chicken Wings
    Mon: Cheddar Brats (amazing, made by my butcher)

Plenty of app's and sides to be made as well.  

The brisket is a monster.  18.5lbs untrimmed.  Thinking of separating the point from the flat and only cooking the flat on Saturday.  I can then grind up the point for burgers/meatloaf.
    Should be a good, relaxing weekend.

Cheers to my fellow Eggers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    sounds great @YEMTrey! Are you starting the brisket Friday night and doing an overnight cook? I have yet to do anything low and slow on my Egg (just got it last weekend) and I understand that pork butt is pretty forgiving and easy to do so I figured I would give it a shot.
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sat: prime rib
    Sun: spare ribs
    Mon: "Never boring pork burgers"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    @IPASooner , yes I'm going to start the brisket on Friday night.  Gonna get it going late friday night, wake up and check on it before I head to the golf course and hopefully come home and have a couple of beers while it finishes.
    Steve 

• IPASooner
    Options
    @YEMTrey wow, sounds like a great day/setup...you have life figured out my friend!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • IPASooner
    Options
    @RRP would love to hear how you do your Prime Rib on the BGE...care to share? 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    its a fishing weekend, boat leaves daily at 3am B) thinking fried togue if i get a small one, salmon croquettes if a big one, canned tuna fish sandwiches for breakfast, and maybe a pork butt or ribs one afternoon and a big pot of beans
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    IPASooner said:
    @RRP would love to hear how you do your Prime Rib on the BGE...care to share? 

RRP Prime rib 

First the rub:

RRP’s Prime Rib Rub – Though it’s not really mine!

As for a rub I love this one. I just wish I knew where I got it so as to give proper credit as it is not my formulation! It's terrific on prime rib…with this rub seared on the outside and then the rare tasty meat on the inside!

This quantity will make enough rub for a 2.5 pound boneless prime rib.

1 T ground (dry) mustard
    1.5 tea table salt
    0.5 tea paprika
    .25 tea ground allspice
    .25 tea fresh ground pepper
    1 tea granulated onion powder
    0.5 tea garlic powder
    Wet prime rib with Worcestershire and apply rub. Because I like more salt I also sprinkle it with coarse Kosher salt as well.

Then as for your other questions:

One prime rib piece for 6 adults will be a pretty big piece of meat and what I prefer to do is have 1 piece per 2 people. That way every portion will have the tasty benefit of the sear and the rub to blend with the medium rare inside. Also this works in case some people want theirs more well done or more rare. The 3 pieces will be easier to "hot tub" also. I just use food grade plastic bags and seal with a twisty. Then I submerge them in a small sealed cooler  partially filled with hot tap water.  Just squeeze out the air so they don't float. I leave them for at least an hour though when thick 90 minutes is better.

I place mine on a grate sitting on a drip pan. That indirect method seems to roast better. Dome at 325° and count on about 25 minutes per pound. BTW a 2# boneless prime rib will be about 3" thick so in other words for 6 adults you want 6 pounds or 9" of meat. Granted if a pound per person sounds too much just change.

I use an internal probe and when the meat gets to 125 internal I remove from the grate, remove the pan and just leave the meat on the main grate, but off to the side while I remove the daisy and open the bottom vent. Typically I can get to searing temps of 600 within 5 minutes and then move the meat back to the center and sear. It will not take long to get to 135 internal which will be a nice medium rare. Remove the meat, tent with foil and let it rest 5 or 10 minutes and then cut each portion in half.

Hope this helps and good luck! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Saturday - Hopefully Ribs and/or BBQ chicken
    Sunday - Going to a party
    Monday - Maybe Pizza's on the new stone if the weather holds up.

Garnerville, NY
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I'm thinking chicken wings, pork picnic for pulled pork and Sausage, pepper and onion pizza on the Blackstone.  I'm not sure when I'll cook what.  I'm still working on finishing the jerk chicken and ribs I made this past weekend.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Fri - Friday night is burger night
    Sat.
    My son is moving, and ol dad has to assist - likely to be restaurant food:s
    Sun: invited out so don't know
    Mon - Definitely see some Beef Tenderloin kabobs with fresh farmers market veggies....and boiled peanuts of course overarching the whole weekend.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • IPASooner
    Options
    @RRP thanks so much for sharing...looks incredible! Will definitely add to my list of future things I want to cook
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    helping a friend babysit a stick burner Fri night, grad party at same house Sat night, so that's two nights not cooking.  may do a turbo butt on Sunday, haven't tried turbo yet, also have some st louis ribs, some beautiful short ribs I picked up yesterday and I really want to try that pork-stuffed pineapple.

so basically, no idea what I'm doing.  filling the cooler is the only part of this puzzle I've solved
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Friday: some kind of fish on the Egg
    Saturday:  pizzas on the Egg
    Saturday overnight: aiming to make two full briskets, one to eat on Sunday
    Also planning to make bread on the Egg at some point, but not sure when.  
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I have a full brisket that I'll be smoking Saturday night into Sunday.  We've been thinking about setting up a TV out in the driveway to watch all the races while cooking, starting with the F1 Monaco GP and ending with the 600 and inviting the neighbors.  Good way to enjoy the day if you ask me (I'm considered the neighborhood "redneck" by some so might as well live up to it).  Just need the weather to work out in Charlotte, Indy and home for it to work out without a hitch.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looking at our weather for the upcoming weekend..I had better get my egging act together!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I feel inadequate.  I have nothing planned.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I am living in the here and now. 

Leftover Short Rib sandwich for lunch, Burgers for dinner and I have a Filet and Rib-Eye for tomorrow. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I am living in the here and now. 

Leftover Short Rib sandwich for lunch, Burgers for dinner and I have a Filet and Rib-Eye for tomorrow. 
    I need to look at what is on sale this week around town and decide some things.  I want to get fire the new addition up and cook on it as well. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    SRF Brisket going on Sunday Night 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    McStew said:
    SRF Brisket going on Sunday Night 
    Jealous. You'll have to throw up a post showing your cook!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

Friday: Turbo babybacks

Saturday: 2 smoked meat loafs

Sunday: Low country boil with ABT apps

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    Options
    Friday: Prepping all of the food for the party Saturday, and throwing on hopefully 2 9# boneless butts or whatever I can get at RD around 6pm.

Saturday: Smoking about 3 dozen ABT's after the butts come off. Cooking hamburgers and hotdogs on the gasser.  Drink Titos&Tonics, beer and play Beersbie

Sunday: Relax and eat leftovers

Monday: Relax and eat leftovers.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Going to a cabin on the Frio River and will not have an egg but it will probably be the only time our family of 4 is together this summer due to college/summer school/high school graduation/etc issues so we are really looking forward to it.  Will have brats/burgers on Friday, steaks on Saturday and wings on Sunday - and bacon every morning.

And since my loving bride prefers wine to beer we will probably drink a lot of it.

And if the weather permits we will spend the afternoons sitting in the river eating ice cold watermelon, not caring if it drips on us because when we are done we will just dip in the water.  My wife doesn't get how much pleasure my son and I get out of something this simple.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Foghorn said:

And if the weather permits we will spend the afternoons sitting in the river eating ice cold watermelon, not caring if it drips on us because when we are done we will just dip in the water.  My wife doesn't get how much pleasure my son and I get out of something this simple.
    How women do not get certain, so obvious things, I will never understand....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Traveling to GA to our friend's blueberry farm. Fresh, picked by us, blueberries await along with a gallon or so of freshly harvested orange blossom honey. We're gonna have a mini Throwdown between myself and the Wife of the other family with steak being the theme. Good food and good friends. And bringing a couple thousand rounds to do some plinking with my buddy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thursday: Dry-aged NY Strips for SWMBO and myself
    Friday: Dinner Out
    Saturday/Sunday: I am doing 135 mile charity bike ride - meals provided
    Monday's Menu:

- SRF Gold Brisket
    - Cole Slaw
    - Baked Beans
    - Grilled Corn on the Cob
    - Corn Bread
    - ABT's
    - Grilled Tuna Steaks & Shrimp Scampi

I know the seafood doesn't really fit with the rest of the meal, by my daughter-in-law doesn't eat beef.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    @CTMike , sounds like a great weekend.  Definitely let us know how you like the SRF Gold Briskey.
    Steve 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The weather here is calling for rain all weekend.  The only thing I am cooking for sure are burgers and brats so far on Sunday for our neighborhood get together.  I may do something Friday night, but Saturday night is date night so we will be going out.  Kind of boring here.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    They're calling for rain here on Sunday and Monday.  Gonna have the pop-up canopy on the patio Friday night so I'm ready to go with no disruptions.
    Steve