Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings And A Prayer

Options
I've been egging for about two years now, and I've never done wings.  I'm not sure why (I'm an idiot apparently), but I finally got around to it tonight.  And I was... ambitious (thus the prayer). 

At Salado @caliking made these awesome wings.  Incredible flavor right to the bone, just the right amount of heat.  He was kind enough to send me the recipe afterwards.  And I am here to share with you because I bet you will want to try these.

Marinade:
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves and stems
⅓ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. canola oil
2½ tsp. ground white pepper
15 cloves garlic, peeled 
1 cup honey
1/3 cup white vinegar
Kosher salt, to taste
3 Thai Chiles
1 teaspoon lemongrass paste
1 cup water

This is basically a variation on a recipe for Thai Grilled Chicken, found here.  

I blended it all up in a food processor.  I marinaded about twelve pieces, split, for 48 hours.  Turned them every twelve hours or so.  

Set the Egg up at 400 dome.  I used a platesetter, but probably could have gone direct just fine.  I basted every five minutes or so, and flipped after 15, following @cazzy's approach.  Here they are about halfway through on the Mini Max:

They took just about 30 minutes.  They were close to 160 when I pulled them off, with just the right amount of char.  In the meantime I had reduced about half the marinade on the stove.  When I pulled the wings off, I tossed them in the pan to coat with a last bit of sauce:

Ready to go on the serving plate:

Holy cannoli!

These are really really good.   I have to say I don't think they were quite as good as @caliking's in Salado, but then I had had a few adult beverages by the time I'd eaten these in Texas.  

The only problem is that they had a bit too much heat.  I'll probably back off the Thai chiles next time.  Those buggers are small but they pack a punch!  

Thanks again to @caliking for sharing this recipe and the overall instructions.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments