Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sitting in line at Franklin's in a thunderstorm

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @Foghorn... if you don't mind, what was the approximate cost for all that BBQ bliss on the tray?
    $115 is my guess.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited May 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Foghorn said:
    cazzy said:
    4Runner said:
    Awesome. What all did you get besides brisket?
    Looks like fatty/lean brisket, pork ribs, sausage, turkey, Tipsy Texan Sammy and a pecan pie.
    Pretty close. The Sammy is chopped beef. And there's a key lime pie not in the pic. 

Coolest thing was dropping Cazzy's name and meeting Benji and getting a your of the pits. 
    Did the sandwich have sausage too?

Lol Benji doesn't know me by my birth or forum name. :lol: 
    He does now.  And I figure that if enough of us go there and act like Cazzy is the password then eventually it will be so. 

@Langner91, we stopped by at 10:30 AM on Saturday and were told we would be eating about 3 PM. It was a hot sunny day and we would have been standing most of that time out in the sun so we passed.

We came back today (Sunday) at 7:00 AM in a serious thunderstorm. It is the first time we have been but it worked out great. The rain kept it cool. We sat in chairs that we brought under the overhang for 4 hours then my wife and my son's friend walked over from the hotel a few minutes before they opened the doors at 11 AM. We had our food and were eating about 11:30. My understanding is that Saturdays are the worst and weekdays are usually lighter - unless it is Spring Break or SXSW or something like that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @Foghorn... if you don't mind, what was the approximate cost for all that BBQ bliss on the tray?
    $115 is my guess.
     :o 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    cazzy said:
    $115 is my guess.
    The key lime pie is not shown. 

2 pounds brisket @ $20/ pound = $40. 
    2 pounds ribs @ 17/pound = $34.
    1 pound turkey = $17. 
    1 chopped beef sammy = $8.
    1 sausage link = $3.
    1 key lime pie = $4.
    1 pecan pie = $4.

Total = $110 plus tax = $118 and change.

Cazzy knows his Q.

But we probably have enough for dinner.  Except my daughter is due to arrive home from college any minute now so we'll see....  She may chow through all the leftovers on arrival and then say hello to the rest of us.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    cazzy said:
    $115 is my guess.

1 pound turkey = $17. 
    1 sausage link = $3.
    1 key lime pie = $4.
    1 pecan pie = $4.

And they said installing smoke scrubbers would be too costly. Yeah right. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Considering my locally owned bbq joint wants 15 bucks a pound for brisket (and it's damn good if I don't have time to cook) and the Famous Dave's want's 17.49 per pound for it, I didn't think the prices were out of line at all. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    The pic of the pits shows one of the guys there seasoning the pit with brisket grease.  Since they are not open tomorrow (Monday) they clean the pits and season them every Sunday. 

The brisket we ate this morning was trimmed 2 days ago.  It was rubbed at 06:30 yesterday morning.  It was put on the pit about 10:30 yesterday morning and taken off about 3 AM.  It was then one of 80-100 briskets (depending on the size of the briskets) put on a rack in the smoker room (wrapped in the butcher paper that it was put in during the cook) for a few hours to slowly cool before being put in a warmer where it was held until it was sliced before our eyes.  It jiggled like jello when the guy dropped it on the counter.

There are 6 people who take turns manning the pits for the 150+ hours each week that they are running. 

San Antonio, TX

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I'm watching "Best BBQ Ever" on The Food Channel. They just had on Franklin's and highlighted their Tipsey Texan brisket and sausage sandwich. It looked GOOD!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Foghorn
    Options
    XC242 said:
    I'm watching "Best BBQ Ever" on The Food Channel. They just had on Franklin's and highlighted their Tipsey Texan brisket and sausage sandwich. It looked GOOD!
    Yeah.  I wanted to really focus on the meat so I didn't order a sandwich.  Fortunately, my wife ordered the chopped beef sandwich and gave me a bite.  It was the best sandwich I've ever eaten by a long shot.  However, I suspect that adding sausage would have made it even better.

San Antonio, TX

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @Foghorn That is freakin awesome. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    <scribbling frantically on bucket list>
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Langner91 (and others), this was a really good morning.  Do it if you get the chance.  Sitting 4 hours under an overhang was actually quite relaxing.  My son and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I think I convinced a guy from California that was in line with us to buy an egg... 

As the summer gets hotter, this will have less appeal.  By 9 AM Texas gets really hot - even in the shade.

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    cazzy said:
    $115 is my guess.

1 pound turkey = $17. 
    1 sausage link = $3.
    1 key lime pie = $4.
    1 pecan pie = $4.

Cazzy knows his Q.

Nailed it!!  My guess was 2lbs brisket and ribs and 1 pound of turkey.  I apparently am around too much BBQ.  Lol

Did the brisket sandwich have sliced sausage on it.  I see the chop and the slaw which looks a lot like their tipsy texsan. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "Did the brisket sandwich have sliced sausage on it. I see the chop and the slaw which looks a lot like their tipsy texsan. "

No.  "Just" a chopped beef sandwich with slaw, onions, and pickles.  It was outstanding.

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "Did the brisket sandwich have sliced sausage on it. I see the chop and the slaw which looks a lot like their tipsy texsan. "

No.  "Just" a chopped beef sandwich with slaw, onions, and pickles.  It was outstanding.
    Niiiiice!  I'll have to try it next time.  

So...compared to the back to back brisket hits you and your friend had, how do you rank that brisket to what y'all had from Franklin today?
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    with as much as you pay for that plate, you would think they could provide more than just sliced white bread. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    with as much as you pay for that plate, you would think they could provide more than just sliced white bread. 
    It's all about tradition and sliced white bread goes hand and hand with Central Texas Barbecue.  This is mainly because even if you toss sliced brisket between a slice...the focus is still on the meat and not on some schmancy bread.  There is nothing like point in a slice of Mrs Baird's white bread.

Micklethwait Craft Meats, which is also in Austin does take it step further and bakes all their bread.  They serve thick cut white bread.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "So...compared to the back to back brisket hits you and your friend had, how do you rank that brisket to what y'all had from Franklin today?"

It was definitely better than any brisket I've ever cooked.  My grading scale for myself will change based on this.  I've called any brisket with good flavor and a moist flat a "10".  Today I saw moist taken to another level.  So, I am adjusting down one point from here forward. 

I'm also going to try to find some butcher paper...

San Antonio, TX