Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just sold my Weber Genesis ...

Options
Hello, first time post here. I just sold my Natural Gas Weber Genesis Grill that was just a few years old. Something about grilling on gas felt about the same as cooking in the kitchen. I've always had an interest in the Egg but have never used anything but a gas grill. Well now its time .... I'm going to buy my first Egg. I'm still deciding between Medium/Large, I know most people here would recommend going with the Large ... Anyone know the must have accessories I will need to purchase with this? I'll post pictures once I make my purchase. 

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    Large for sure. Get ready for lots of peoples thoughts but mine is hands down the Adjustable Rig from CeramicGrillStore.com is the best purchase I have made.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Get the instant read thermometer for sure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    Options
    Ok I'll add to the list! Thanks. 
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    Options
    Large for sure. Get ready for lots of peoples thoughts but mine is hands down the Adjustable Rig from CeramicGrillStore.com is the best purchase I have made.
    Thanks that looks interesting! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depends how big your cooks are. LBGE with an Adjustable Rig seems to be the preferred set-up. OK for small cooks and can handle a larger amount of food. MBGE is ideal for 2 or 3 adults and is a lump miser, I use mine with a setter. Depending on the Weber you sold, you may have had as much as 600 square inches of cooking space on a couple of grids with both direct and indirect heat available, the LBGE has about 260 square inches - even if doubled to over 500, it may be less than what you were used to and all the grid space is pretty much at the same temperature. 
    Most on here will, I think, suggest you go with the basic grid and egg and if they throw in a setter at reasonable price get it, then build your shopping list as your cooking technique develops. Some will suggest to go with the AR, and I’d agree if the setter is not a throw in. 
    Welcome and good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome. I was in the same boat as you deciding med vs lg. The EggHeads here convinced me to get a large. So glad they did. You can cook small stuff on a large. I like having the extra room even when doing a few burgers.  

If I had to make the decision all over, I'd be torn between the mini max and the large. For my style of cooking, I'd give the mini max a hard look. Ultimately I'll get a MM to go with my large. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I'd go with the large and a Thermapen.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    My Dad has a Medium and it's perfect for him and my Mom and when he has people over he can make do with it and the multi tier rack he has.  I probably would have a Medium if we weren't having kids and adding mouths to feed.  I also do a lot of low and slows that my Dad doesn't do and depending on the size of the full packer it can be a tight squeeze on my large.  I also think the Large has more accessories and it's easier to find them because it's the most popular size.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Wait on the accessories until YOU figure out what you need.  It's easy here to spend other people's money.  Save what you would be spending up front on accessories and put it towards the large.  The large also has the most accessories available.  Congrats!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options

@MJFutures ,

You'll need a quality thermometer for your family's food safety AND to avoid ruining perfectly good meat.  Thermapen is the most popular, but not the only, option.

Also popular is the Adjustable Rig mentioned earlier.  It's probably the best choice, but you'll want to decide before you purchase a plate setter (goofily re-named "ConvEggtor").  When you have the former, you won't need the latter.

Beyond those two accessory decisions, I suggest that you WAIT before purchasing any other gadgets.

Get a half dozen or so cooks under your belt before you start adding accessories.  Often, that nifty-looking "great idea" item sitting on the store shelf ends up in a junk drawer.

Every dollar that you don't spend on a future dust-collector is a dollar that can be spent on ribeye steaks.

JMPerspective

Best luck -

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    My experience with the egg is your all in or out,  if you decide to go with a med and don't like it you not out as much money; If you love it and purchase another then you'll have a med and something else

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    +1 on Large, and thermopen s a must!
    GWN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Depends how big your cooks are. LBGE with an Adjustable Rig seems to be the preferred set-up. OK for small cooks and can handle a larger amount of food. MBGE is ideal for 2 or 3 adults and is a lump miser, I use mine with a setter. Depending on the Weber you sold, you may have had as much as 600 square inches of cooking space on a couple of grids with both direct and indirect heat available, the LBGE has about 260 square inches - even if doubled to over 500, it may be less than what you were used to and all the grid space is pretty much at the same temperature. 
    Most on here will, I think, suggest you go with the basic grid and egg and if they throw in a setter at reasonable price get it, then build your shopping list as your cooking technique develops. Some will suggest to go with the AR, and I’d agree if the setter is not a throw in. 
    Welcome and good luck. 

This is not to get you to buy the XL instead of the Large, but think about what @Skiddymarker said about the cooking area of the large compared to your Weber.  The XL has 452 sq in of cooking area and if you get the AR/Woo2 combo and and extra grid at some point you can almost triple that.  If you used your whole cooking surface a lot I would look at the XL, but if you didn't then the Large would be for you.  This was my main reason for getting the XL

As for extras as I mentioned the AR/woo2 combo is nice, bit you can get by with the plate setter like I have.  The number one tool I feel and others do too is the instant read temp gauge like a ThermoPop or ThermoPen from ThermoWorks.com 

Welcome and Enjoy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

How big is your family and do you plan on cooking for events?   For example, I did 8 Boston Butts last year and then a 6 BB cook this year.  We have large cook events planned for next year.  I have a large and now I wish I had the XL.  I'd recommend going with the biggest Egg in your budget.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Large and Adjustable Rig     Add a therma pen and pizza stone and you are golden
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I probably use my medium more than my large, but depends on what I'm doing.  The medium mostly does direct, the large mostly indirect. Both are good and if you get one, you can get the other later.  About 1 in 4 cooks I have both of them fired up and I get more flexibility and capacity.
    Options
    I suggest the large.

For accessories, the advice to wait until you have done some cooks is good advice. Of course, your grilling will evolve after you get the egg so you will want to try a number of different things. For me:

DigiQ
    Thermapen
    Woo with adjustable rig and stone
    Plate setter
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    I probably use my medium more than my large, but depends on what I'm doing.  The medium mostly does direct, the large mostly indirect. Both are good and if you get one, you can get the other later.  About 1 in 4 cooks I have both of them fired up and I get more flexibility and capacity.
    This sounds like a good set up, but I can only have one grill I have been told, but I sneaked in a little one to do my weekday quick cooks for $200.  With what you have @nolaegghead, you could be smoking a brisket in one and grilling burgers on the other for lunch.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I'm also a new egg owner and have an XL.  If I were you I would go with the Lg, for two reason.  1: most people cook multiple things on there eggs at once (ie burgers and grill corn or other sides) and the extra space is nice.  2 it's cheaper to have the space upfront then to add it  later(have to buy second egg). as far as  accessories go, you need a way to cook indirect and direct.  You'll figure out the rest as you go.  Many dealers in my area( north east Ohio) have package deals....e.g. Lg BGE, nest,  plate setter charcoal and charcoal  chimney runs around 950.  This includes  delivery.   Best of luck hope you enjoy your new egg. Make sure to post pictures and ask lots of questions, the people one here are really  knowledgeable about a great number of subjects. This forum is the best  accessory I have.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I'm also a new egg owner and have an XL.  If I were you I would go with the Lg, for two reason.  1: most people cook multiple things on there eggs at once (ie burgers and grill corn or other sides) and the extra space is nice.  2 it's cheaper to have the space upfront then to add it  later(have to buy second egg). as far as  accessories go, you need a way to cook indirect and direct.  You'll figure out the rest as you go.  Many dealers in my area( north east Ohio) have package deals....e.g. Lg BGE, nest,  plate setter charcoal and charcoal  chimney runs around 950.  This includes  delivery.   Best of luck hope you enjoy your new egg. Make sure to post pictures and ask lots of questions, the people one here are really  knowledgeable about a great number of subjects. This forum is the best  accessory I have.   
    I am confused here?  You said for him to get a Large, but you seem to be describing what the XL can do.  did you mean to say XL instead of Large?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    No no just telling him what I have an XL and to get the large over the medium.  Always happy to have more space.  Medium imho seems a little small if it's the only egg you'll have. I got one for B-I-L a medium as house warming gift (my budget) and it's nice just hard to cook multiple things at the same time. he made burgers and corn the other day but had to cook one after the other.   On the lg he could have cooked all at once.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Large all the way! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I would say a Plate Setter, Kick Ash Basket, a PSWoo2 CI, a Cast Iron Grate, and a Thermapen.  If you're going to be cooking for big family gatherings, then look to some sort of AR - otherwise get the core things to make your cooking as comfortable as possible.

I recommend the Kick Ash Basket to help keep your fire breathing easier and help clean up between burns - biggest headache I had the first few cooks involved the iron plate that comes with the egg getting blocked too easily with small pieces of lump.

I like the PSWoo2 because it puts the grate on the same level as the opening (don't have to "dig in" to your Egg to flip burgers, etc.).

Just my thoughts and opinions - and we all know what folks say about opinions...  LOL.

My Best,

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I admire your commitment. Welcome and good luck. I'm a large guy. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Wait, you sold your Weber before you bought your Egg??  Where are you going to store the accessories???   =)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Botch said:
    Wait, you sold your Weber before you bought your Egg??  Where are you going to store the accessories???   =)
    Or use as a warming oven? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!