Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolling your Egg

Options
Does any roll there egg around there yard? I will be getting a Egg with just a nest and will not have  a permanent spot for it. One night i may be smoking in one location another day we could be having a bbq and will have to grill somewhere else. The problem with a small yard.  The sales rep assured me I Wont have a problem, but was hoping to hear from others. 

Thanks,
Adam
-Adam 

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Just re-located mine across our paver patio at the request of SWMBO who, as you know must be obeyed.  No problemo, even with the paver joints and differences in priorities (aesthetics vs. convenience).  

Someday, a built in . . . but for now, it's a moveable feast.   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    I've got an LBGE with nest and handler.  We have a large back yard, but a cobbled-together patio area.   I've moved it out of the weather when we had ice / snow, but it otherwise has stayed put.  I didn't have too much issue moving it around.  I think you'll be fine.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    When rolling around pull from the back of the hinge and don't push, ever.  The Eggs tend to fall out of the nest when you push them instead of pull.  For extra security I would suggest you get a Nest Handler, especially since you're already planning on moving it around a lot.  The handler will basically tie the egg into the nest so the only disaster should come from the entire nest going over.  I have my Egg in a Nest with a Handler because I move it from garage to driveway to use it and have no problems.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    +1 for a nest handler. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    What is your yard like?  Smooth concrete with no cracks ... no problem.  Thick grass with bumps ... don't do it unless you have a nest handler attachment.

What size egg do you have?  MiniMax ... no problem ... ignore the above.  XL ... pay extra attention to the above.

The nest, by itself, is a great platform for the occasional movement over smooth surfaces.  Even then, the nest handler makes it a much safer assembly.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I have seen several nests to which large wheels - NOT casters - have been added. I mean big 12" wheels.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do yard with the nest. Too risky in my opinion 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I roll mine around my large patio no problem. With the wheels that come on an egg nest, I would not try to move it across my lawn or the rock trails or anywhere off the patio. Got a welder or handy skills? Put some 12" wheels on and then you might be good. Personally, I think it is a little top heavey to be wheeling it around my yard (again, patio, no problem, I move mine almost every time I cook).
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Cue the @mickey leg shot. 

Get a handler and be careful. Never push, even with large wheels and even a table. Don't ask how I know. 
  • asuckiel
    asuckiel Posts: 6
    Options
    Backyard is pavers.  I will look into the nest handler.
    -Adam 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I move my XL with handler around in the nest quite a bit, always on cement and I always pull it.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Your sales rep is 100% WRONG... Get a HANDLER and as said never push an Egg. Have two Larges on a deck and they both have HANDLERS on them. After putting on 5 EggFest's and moving lots of Eggs on solid service and grass you need a HANDLER.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh, If you should tip one over don't try to catch it with your leg. It became infected and was a hell of a problem. This shot was when it was getting almost well. All because of no HANDLERS on EggFest Eggs. Was pulling in grass. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Oh, If you should tip one over don't try to catch it with your leg. It became infected and was a hell of a problem. This shot was when it was getting almost well. All because of no HANDLERS on EggFest Eggs. Was pulling in grass. 

Ouch!!! How was the Egg?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • asuckiel
    asuckiel Posts: 6
    Options
    Does the handler come with the nest, or is it a separate purchase. 
    -Adam 
  • Mickey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The Egg lived. Handlers are about $80 + or -  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    Handlers on both my eggs.  Really glad too.  I move them on pavers and grass.  Just take your time and always pull.  When the ground is soft I lay cardboard down for my XL.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good advice about pulling, not pushing.  IMO pulling by the hinge is still risky if you hit a bump, I pull by the nest legs, think low centre of gravity.  I've pulled both my L and XL, between the uneven brick patio and bumpy grass areas on several occasions. Just oem nest wheels. (photos to follow, if I post links or photos now I may get the 'approval required' nonsense!)

edit: posting photos now...

canuckland
  • icunrse
    icunrse Posts: 87
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Yikes!! You needed a nurse! As long as the egg was ok...
    Amy 
    Hope Mills, NC
    LBGE, and the only one on the block. My neighbor just got a new gas grill...let the games begin!!

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the Nest Handler!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    It should come with the nest, but unfortunately it's a separate purchase.
    I don't agree here, most Egg owners do not need a Handler with their Egg nest combo, so why jack up the price for an item they don't need?  
    If you need it, it is available for resonable price IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey
    Options
    I 100% agree with @Jeepster47 in the need for the Handler. I feel ANYONE with a nest is very much benefitted with the extra stability provided by the Handler. It would be a benefit on smooth concrete. 
    As far as jacked up price on an Egg, IMO the platesetter sold with most Eggs is a much bigger problem. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey, my large hasn't been moved in about 4 years. No need or desire to spend the cash on a piece of tin I don't want.

If I was planning to move my egg all over the place like the OP, it would be a different story. In his case, it sounds like an accident waiting to happen, Handler or not.

The platesetter is not a required purchase. But I'm glad I bought mine.  =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    The Handler sure makes it easy to pull into the back of my PU and drive to X with it. Oh, the ramps help a bunch. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Here you go. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148864/small-nest-big-wheels-all-terrain-mod

check @Lit 's post on page 2. I would get a handler if modding a large in this way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey said:
    The Handler sure makes it easy to pull into the back of my PU and drive to X with it. Oh, the ramps help a bunch. 
    Yeah, I bet the ramp DOES help. LOL. But I don't have a pickup. My large never goes anywhere.

I moved it three times in almost six years. Once when I needed a new gasket in the dead of winter, I moved it into my laundry room, installed the gasket and rolled it back after curing. Then, I realized it was hazardous to light a fire on a flammable deck so I moved it to my paver'd patio. And there it will stay. I haven't even used it but once since December anyway! The Mini rules! Hahaha

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

@SMITTYtheSMOKER & @Carolina Q ... I hear what you're saying, but this is why I believe the handler should be a part of the nest package.

My egg is on a 14’ X 22’ concrete pad that’s divided into six sections with normal sidewalk type seams, three sides of the pad have brick walls about eight feet high, and the third side is open to a lawn.  The chance of a spark escaping out the bottom vent and igniting something is zero.  So, why should I have to pay for an inlet screen that’s simply not necessary for my location?  In this case I think BGE has made a determination that it’s in their best interest to include it for everybody … period.

You can claim the same type of “I don’t need it” argument for not wanting to pay for a package included handler. But really, there is a chance that live-in or visiting kids could start goofing around and end up with a game of push the egg around.  Or one of your guests could try to be helpful and move the egg.  Slim chance I agree, but it could happen, thus I think the handler should be a part of the package.  Oh yes, if your kids, your neighbor’s kids, or your guests are too well mannered to mess with your stuff, then why do you have your firearms secured?  Sometimes it just makes sense to protect yourself and your guests from things that probably won’t happen … but if they did, the consequences could be tragic.

Plus, if every egg came with one, the manufacturing price would come down considerably and it wouldn’t list for $100.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Cafeteria style...buy what you need and don't burden those they don't need anything but the basics.   Maybe offer a combo package to save some money but I like customized options.  So glad the Egg didn't come with a nest and side tables etc.   save me some $$. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat