Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8# Turkey breast - semi frozen

Options
bcsnave
bcsnave Posts: 1,009
I am going to try an 8# Turkey Breast semi froze. Anyone every try this?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

Comments

• bcsnave
    Options
    Anyone?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to brine them for a day or so.  They start frozen sometimes but end up not.  Imagine the partially frozen will take longer but should work like a frozen pork butt.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1326737&catid=1
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I try not to cook anything partially frozen.  Because the thawed part cooks faster than the frozen part.  Part of it will be cooked perfectly while the rest will be overcooked.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've done a few this way before. They turn out fine. I have found that they stay a bit juicier if I thaw first. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    I am going to try an 8# Turkey Breast semi froze. Anyone every try this?
    With poultry, I try to avoid it but sometimes it's a must. I have done it with good results. I usually reduce my cooking temp down to 300-325 if it's partcially frozen to help prevent over browning. I don't know how it will cook at a higher temp if it's partially frozen, never wanted to risk it but I feel the outside would over darken. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    Options
    It turned out nice. Had grilled texas toast, bacon,smoked turkey, tomato, avocado, mayo. It was a great sandwich.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI