Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs & Pig Shots - a.k.a. Circle the wagons! - TTT attacking!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
As promised I have finally put my new TTT to test today. I thought this before shot looked like something out of an old Western movie when they were bracing for trouble or making camp for the night! Note the 4 Pig Shots in the dead center. Those are also filled with cheese, but I topped them with a thin coin of pepperoni for yet even more cardiac stress! LOL So far my TTT setting has stayed at a full #9 setting to maintain a 320º dome reading.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How in the hell do you get them to cook over the vegetation??  Interesting on the TTT.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    How in the hell do you get them to cook over the vegetation??  Interesting on the TTT.   
    this method gives a leafy taste to the bacon - you know like the pig was still roaming peacefully!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have never seen a green flame like that. Looks "grate" (terrible attempt at humor and pun intended )
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    Options
    Let's start with the end...if you do a head count you'll see there was a casualty of one pepperoni person and one "wagon" that didn't survive the journey from the grate to the plate. I believe for $30 the TTT earns its keep. I also believe I maxed it out at #9 and finally got to 345º dome. In the future I will only use it for lower temperatures and I'm sure it will work just fine!

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Nice little snack Ron. I didn't need to see the TTT though... at least it's under a $100.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    Let's start with the end...if you do a head count you'll see there was a casualty of one pepperoni person and one "wagon" that didn't survive the journey from the grate to the plate. I believe for $30 the TTT earns its keep. I also believe I maxed it out at #9 and finally got to 345º dome. In the future I will only use it for lower temperatures and I'm sure it will work just fine!

2 questions, was the journey failure a result of you snacking, or did you drop them?

And what was your setting on your lower opening.  Wide open, or did you set it partially closed about where you would for your goal temp?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    nice cicrcal of food 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • RRP
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    RRP said:

2 questions, was the journey failure a result of you snacking, or did you drop them?

And what was your setting on your lower opening.  Wide open, or did you set it partially closed about where you would for your goal temp?
    Yes the two casualties were from my eating them! It's an old family joke when I would stand out and sample before bringing in a platter.

I always egg my ABTs and PIg shots at 350 indirect using my inverted plate sitter. I had my bottom vent of my large egg set at 3/4 open which is normal for me for 350. So I don't think I was starving it for air. When I first started before ever putting the food on my dome neck was unabstucted. When I hit 300 dome I put the TTT on set at a #3 and it immediately closed the damper. I checked back in 3 minutes and the damper was still closed and the dome reading had fallen to 230. I turned the dial to 6 and stood there and watched the damper close again. This time I sat it wide open at 9 and the damper soon closed to a 45 degree angle but at least it was open. 15 minutes later the dome read about 340 so I put the meat on. Set my timer for 40 minutes - checked in 30 and the dome was reading 347, but the damper was still at an angle and not perpendicular as I assumed it would be. IOW set at a #9 should be wide open and highest that a TTT is capable of achieving. My speculation is it may work better at lower temperatures.
  • RRP
    Options
    BTW - the pepperoni coin on top added a real tasty kicker, but I suppose using a hotter tasting cheese filling could have achieved the same, but the cap kept the melted cheese hotter longer for a trade off.
  • RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sammi said:
    Nice little snack Ron. I didn't need to see the TTT though... at least it's under a $100.
    Granted - I did not take a picture of it in use - but what about my submitting this after - use picture of the no longer virgin TTT? Will that work, Judge? LOL

as compared to this earlier shot?

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Solid looking finger food Ron. Would you recommend the TTT to others?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Solid looking finger food Ron. Would you recommend the TTT to others?
    As I said this was my first use and based on other comments it seems to be more suited for maintaining lo & slo temperatures rather than my 350º goal for today. IMO if you like toys then $30 is worth it. I have spent more on other toys for my BGEs that I have only used once or twice so maybe I'm not a good one to ask.  I do know though I will certainly grab this TTT a lot quicker and for less hassle than sitting up my $250 smart BBQ Guru!

One bit if warning it is very thin metal, plated and not s/s and the only brain in the unit is a tiny bi-metal coil spring! I would think this product will not last long without TLC and probably is subject to rust and corrosion issues and therefore calibration may be an issue. 
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I guess I am wondering if this device would maintain temp on a low and slow overnighter,  or for a few hrs otherwise unattended ?
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:

I always egg my ABTs and PIg shots at 350 indirect using my inverted plate sitter. I had my bottom vent of my large egg set at 3/4 open which is normal for me for 350. So I don't think I was starving it for air. When I first started before ever putting the food on my dome neck was unabstucted. When I hit 300 dome I put the TTT on set at a #3 and it immediately closed the damper. I checked back in 3 minutes and the damper was still closed and the dome reading had fallen to 230. I turned the dial to 6 and stood there and watched the damper close again. This time I sat it wide open at 9 and the damper soon closed to a 45 degree angle but at least it was open. 15 minutes later the dome read about 340 so I put the meat on. Set my timer for 40 minutes - checked in 30 and the dome was reading 347, but the damper was still at an angle and not perpendicular as I assumed it would be. IOW set at a #9 should be wide open and highest that a TTT is capable of achieving. My speculation is it may work better at lower temperatures.
    Great, thanks, very helpful information.  I think my first use will be trying a 225 to 250 smoke on pastrami.  Might be a couple of weeks before I get to it though.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    Options
    Chowman said:
    I guess I am wondering if this device would maintain temp on a low and slow overnighter,  or for a few hrs otherwise unattended ?
    My guess is an overnighter lo & slo will be easy as long as you have sone way to make sure the wind or some varmints don't knock it off. It only weighs 5.25 ounces and merely sits on top the neck. A SmokeWare neck only piece will help, but...
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @RRP Can you take a picture of the top resting on your egg to give us perspective?  Can you also give more detail on the Smokeware neck?  You didn't finish your thoughts...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Looks good Ron.  Thanks for all the demo info.
  • RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @RRP Can you take a picture of the top resting on your egg to give us perspective?  Can you also give more detail on the Smokeware neck?  You didn't finish your thoughts...
    Bear with me as compiling the pictures takes a few key strokes. First of all the lite weight 5.25oz TTT itself.
    It measures 5" in diameter and I believe the top of a large BGE is about  6" so a TTT would merely sit on top of the neck piece meaning it could easily blow off or fall off when the dome is opened. BTW a fall would/could be the end of the TTT!
    When it is protected from falling by being inside the SmokeWare portion of the neck then it looks like this:

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @rrp makes perfect sense, thanks!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Surprised they didn't construct out of SS. I guess that's how they keep the price lower and still make profit of some sort after the tooling etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Yes the two casualties were from my eating them! It's an old family joke when I would stand out and sample before bringing in a platter.

You said the bottom vent was 3/4 open. Do you mean 3/4" or 3/4 of Full open?

You can actually reduce the temp from 300° to 230° in 3 minutes by using the TTT?

Perpendicular to what - horizontal or vertical plane?

Thanks.

• RRP
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    RRP said:

You said the bottom vent was 3/4 open. Do you mean 3/4" or 3/4 of Full open?

You can actually reduce the temp from 300° to 230° in 3 minutes by using the TTT?

Perpendicular to what - horizontal or vertical plane?

Thanks.

3/4 of the bottom vent wide open - not 3/4"

300 to 230 in 3 minutes was because the TTT SHUT down FLAT- choking the egg!

Please look at some of the pictures I have posted - I meant the damper if perpendicular would be to the base and as wide open as it could ever be. If horizontal it is totally closed. 

This thing is NOT rocket science, but an idea a guy had which sold for like $22 a year ago and now some company has bought it and is selling it for $30. Buyer beware, but if you like toys it won't break your piggy bank!
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I used mine on a low n slow last week. It wa sky first time to use it.  It took a while to get it dialed in, I eased up to 250, I didn't want to overshoot.  Once I got it dialed in, it held the temp within about 10 degrees from 10 pm to 7am.  With my maverick monitoring the temp I could sleep all night. 

Rain in is an issue for it.  The water hitting the spring cools the spring, and makes it open wide open.  An umbrella solved that issue.

is it as nice and accurate as the electronically controlled units?  Probably not, but it is one tenth of the price.  Will it hold the temp pretty well all night? Yep.
  • RRP
    Options
    Wowens said:
    I used mine on a low n slow last week. It wa sky first time to use it.  It took a while to get it dialed in, I eased up to 250, I didn't want to overshoot.  Once I got it dialed in, it held the temp within about 10 degrees from 10 pm to 7am.  
    I realize there are variables, but just curious - what setting gave you 250 that night?
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I think it was between 4-5.  I got the egg up to about 200 and closed the lower damper to about 1/2".  Then I put the TTT on top, and let it close as much as it wanted, then I moved the dial to about 1/2 way open, and as the temp came up it closed up, then I opend a little more, then it would close to just cracked.  I just played with it a bit until I had it about 255, and the flap was just barely cracked,
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    When I ran mine at about 250° on the XL the setting was near 3 at 12 o'clock with the bottom vent fully open with the screen in place. I also had issues getting to 350 on the medium as it just didn't seem to want to get those last few degrees. I believe I stopped at 6 but it was last week and I can no longer remember what I did yesterday so do not rely on that. Agreed that it should work pretty well on a low and slow if it is kept dry. It is very helpful on my gusty back deck as it reacts quickly to wind changes and keeps the temp closer than the manual vents. There may eventually be an issue with buildup on the operating parts from combustion residue but I believe the old Easy Off oven cleaner should work. Regarding the possibility of making one from stainless, typically SS would crack or split during the drawing process of forming the body. It would have to be welded up from fabricated pieces and that plus the price of SS would make it far more expensive than $30. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Is there a stop on the dial that prevents it from going beyond the "9" setting?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bettysnephew
    Options
    The resistance increases on the knob as you near the end of movement, and I'm certain you can push it past but suspect problems will ensue. It's not like the guitar amps that go to eleven in the movie "This is Spinal Tap."
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options
    When I ran mine at about 250° on the XL the setting was near 3 at 12 o'clock with the bottom vent fully open with the screen in place.  
    David, Now I see why we seem to have a difference in settings. You say 3 at 12 o'clock, but I am going by the label with the arrow on the side that says "set temperature". Therefore 3 at 12 o'clock would be a 6 using the arrow.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    There was never an arrow on the one I got, so I went with the 12 o'clock setting for indication. Mine still won't go to eleven no matter how far I turn it. LOL! 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa